Forums
Posted By: jonah IS YOUR PHOTOCARD LICENCE DUE TO EXPIRE ?? - 17th Sep 2008 12:03am
Drivers face fines for expired licences. A massive 300,000 photo card licences are due to expire in the next 12 months, yet a significant proportion of drivers are unaware that the new photo-style licences require updating every 10 years. Unlike the superseded paper licence, which was valid 'for life', the new identity card versions feature a 'valid until' date, at which time motorists must shell out an extra £17.50 for a new card. It's thought that a lot of drivers are not aware of this requirement.

This summer marked the 10th anniversary of the introduction of the new photo card licence and of the cards due for update a massive 28% are still outstanding, according to the DVLA. These drivers could face a £1,000 fine if asked to surrender the licence.

Though the expiry date is printed on the front of the photo cards,(SECTION 4B) it can only be identified as such when the owner turns the card over and reads the small print.

Making matters more confusing is the presence on the back of the cards of a date until which time the motorists is registered to hold the licence - their 70th birthday.

According to the DVLA, reminders will now be sent to drivers with photo cards due to expire, while the Association of British Insurers has confirmed that insurance cover is unaffected by an expired photo
Posted By: mike849 Re: IS YOUR PHOTOCARD LICENCE DUE TO EXPIRE ?? - 17th Sep 2008 12:08am
im ok i think ive just checked i passed my test in 02 although it says my licence runs out in 2010 not 2012 so which do i go for?
Posted By: jonah Re: IS YOUR PHOTOCARD LICENCE DUE TO EXPIRE ?? - 17th Sep 2008 12:11am
u should get a reminder, but if it says 2010 on ur licence id go for that..........
Posted By: mike849 Re: IS YOUR PHOTOCARD LICENCE DUE TO EXPIRE ?? - 17th Sep 2008 12:14am
well as im in the raf ill ask them if i can do it now rather than later for free
Posted By: jonah Re: IS YOUR PHOTOCARD LICENCE DUE TO EXPIRE ?? - 17th Sep 2008 12:15am
u will probably only be able to do it alot nearer the time, as with road tax..........
Posted By: mike849 Re: IS YOUR PHOTOCARD LICENCE DUE TO EXPIRE ?? - 17th Sep 2008 12:18am
i can only ask and see what they say....
Posted By: jonah Re: IS YOUR PHOTOCARD LICENCE DUE TO EXPIRE ?? - 17th Sep 2008 12:21am
yeh, suppose its worth a try ...
Posted By: Tony_1985 Re: IS YOUR PHOTOCARD LICENCE DUE TO EXPIRE ?? - 17th Sep 2008 12:22am
Originally Posted by mike849
im ok i think ive just checked i passed my test in 02 although it says my licence runs out in 2010 not 2012 so which do i go for?

your 10 years starts from the very 1st day you recieved your Provisional licence
Posted By: jonah Re: IS YOUR PHOTOCARD LICENCE DUE TO EXPIRE ?? - 17th Sep 2008 12:27am
it cant do tony, as i passed my test in 1992, having had my provisional for a year before passing....... and my licence also expires in 2010, 8/2/2010 to be exact...
Posted By: Tony_1985 Re: IS YOUR PHOTOCARD LICENCE DUE TO EXPIRE ?? - 17th Sep 2008 12:30am
hmm

strange, i see your point mate. just checked my card

started 2004
expires dec 2012

but i had a provisional for about 2 years though. i didnt have to supply a new photo to gain my full one
valid from:
16-04-08

expires:
08-02-17

that's like only 9 years... probably just trying to cash in as per
Posted By: Wench Re: IS YOUR PHOTOCARD LICENCE DUE TO EXPIRE ?? - 17th Sep 2008 10:47am
Mine says valid from 1999 to 2039 inclusive but it's still a paper one, never got a card one or got asked to get one. Mind you, I still have to tell them I've changed my address (fine of £1000).

The annoying thing is, when I last changed the address on it, they sent it back with my name spelt wrong!! They changed it from Jacqueline to Jackueline and added an 'E' to my surname. Bloody idiots idiot
Posted By: mike849 Re: IS YOUR PHOTOCARD LICENCE DUE TO EXPIRE ?? - 17th Sep 2008 10:51am
i think its wrong to charge you £17.50 to get it changed though! they cost enough when you pass your test!
Posted By: StuyMac Re: IS YOUR PHOTOCARD LICENCE DUE TO EXPIRE ?? - 17th Sep 2008 11:02am
Mine expires in 2012.

Also, just got on to what Jay mentioned.

My previous licence, before I moved was valid for 50 years, however, when I moved and changed my licence, it now has a 10 year span think

So, if you never move, your licence is valid for 50 year, but move, and you need to renew it every 10 years at a cost....

...another money maker for the government...
Posted By: CustomIce Re: IS YOUR PHOTOCARD LICENCE DUE TO EXPIRE ?? - 17th Sep 2008 11:37am
Glad you posted that up i've got till next year. Any chance you could remind me in 12 months?
Posted By: Wench Re: IS YOUR PHOTOCARD LICENCE DUE TO EXPIRE ?? - 17th Sep 2008 11:40am
That's a tad unfair! Does that mean that i will have to have a photo license when I change my address then?? I guess I'll get charged even more for that! Sheesh smack
Posted By: StuyMac Re: IS YOUR PHOTOCARD LICENCE DUE TO EXPIRE ?? - 17th Sep 2008 11:45am
Originally Posted by PaganJay
That's a tad unfair! Does that mean that i will have to have a photo license when I change my address then?? I guess I'll get charged even more for that! Sheesh smack

Yes, but I dont think I got charged from changing to a photo from a paper licence...
Posted By: Wench Re: IS YOUR PHOTOCARD LICENCE DUE TO EXPIRE ?? - 17th Sep 2008 11:50am
I'll have a look on the DVLA website later then just to check. Cheers for that info Jonah and Stu thumbsup
Posted By: MissGuided Re: IS YOUR PHOTOCARD LICENCE DUE TO EXPIRE ?? - 17th Sep 2008 12:23pm
Mine says 2013 - cheek of it asking for £17.50!!!!!
Posted By: mike849 Re: IS YOUR PHOTOCARD LICENCE DUE TO EXPIRE ?? - 17th Sep 2008 12:26pm
and you will have to pay to get your photo took in one of them booths!
Posted By: MissGuided Re: IS YOUR PHOTOCARD LICENCE DUE TO EXPIRE ?? - 17th Sep 2008 12:38pm
which now costs about £4.50!!!
oh poo, cant even find mine. is there a way to find out your status? cant afford photo booths cos i always get distracted and look daft. i have to stop grinning at the light, got a draw full of failed pictures. please help
Posted By: StuyMac Re: IS YOUR PHOTOCARD LICENCE DUE TO EXPIRE ?? - 17th Sep 2008 12:56pm
.... i suspect there are a few people on here that will need to collect the tokens from the back of a cornflakes box again raftl
its just the flash is so bright and i try flashing back and then i get arrested, damn
Posted By: StuyMac Re: IS YOUR PHOTOCARD LICENCE DUE TO EXPIRE ?? - 17th Sep 2008 1:02pm
3:10 wink

[youtube]uYtsUsygonQ[/youtube]
love it, thats me bud
clown - have you tried sedation before you get in the booth so that you are not excited by the light?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: IS YOUR PHOTOCARD LICENCE DUE TO EXPIRE ?? - 17th Sep 2008 1:39pm
Originally Posted by StuyMac
3:10 wink

[youtube]uYtsUsygonQ[/youtube]

pmsl raftl raftl
yeah but it turns out i need a fosters factory
Posted By: golfvr Re: IS YOUR PHOTOCARD LICENCE DUE TO EXPIRE ?? - 19th Sep 2008 10:20am
Ive just got my letter... well 2 months ago,,keep forgetting to send off my new pics
Posted By: jonah Re: IS YOUR PHOTOCARD LICENCE DUE TO EXPIRE ?? - 19th Sep 2008 5:46pm
Originally Posted by StuyMac
Mine expires in 2012.

Also, just got on to what Jay mentioned.

My previous licence, before I moved was valid for 50 years, however, when I moved and changed my licence, it now has a 10 year span think

So, if you never move, your licence is valid for 50 year, but move, and you need to renew it every 10 years at a cost....

...another money maker for the government...

your licence will still be valid for the 50 years.... until u reach the age of retest, it is just the photocard part that is valid for only 10 years as ur appearance can change sinificantly within that time span, so needs updating, as with a passport !!
Posted By: StuyMac Re: IS YOUR PHOTOCARD LICENCE DUE TO EXPIRE ?? - 19th Sep 2008 5:49pm
It still runs out though matey frown

Even though you done need to take a retest, if it goes past the date it will be an offence to drive as will will still be classed as an expired license hence the fines... frown
Posted By: dave_g Re: IS YOUR PHOTOCARD LICENCE DUE TO EXPIRE ?? - 19th Sep 2008 5:52pm
maybe people with kids should re-new their photo every couple of years, the kids age me that much i'll look different next week!!! lol
© Wirral-Wikiwirral