Forums
Posted By: exploding_penguin brake caliper paint? - 14th Jun 2008 11:02pm
as the title say, what type of paint did every one else use? im just gonna do them black as they are kind of rusty colour now!
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: brake caliper paint? - 14th Jun 2008 11:05pm
high temperature paint
Posted By: MrPhil Re: brake caliper paint? - 14th Jun 2008 11:06pm
Halford will sell it, bit expensive tho, you could try BBQ paint as it is High temp, just mask off all other bits.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: brake caliper paint? - 14th Jun 2008 11:08pm
I think Motorworld and ebay ae quite cheap for VHT paint
Posted By: exploding_penguin Re: brake caliper paint? - 14th Jun 2008 11:10pm
will have a look tomorow. did u take the caliper off or paint it while attached?
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: brake caliper paint? - 14th Jun 2008 11:12pm
paint while attached would be easiest

but for longer lasting, take it off, use a wire brush to get as much of the rust off as you can and then spray it
Posted By: exploding_penguin Re: brake caliper paint? - 14th Jun 2008 11:17pm
is it best to use the spary kind and not paint by brush then?
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: brake caliper paint? - 14th Jun 2008 11:19pm
yeah, deffo spray as brushing it on is too messy

as Phil said, BBQ paint is probably best as you're only after black
Posted By: jaye46325 Re: brake caliper paint? - 15th Jun 2008 12:21am
wire brush the worst of the rust away, then use a smooth finish hammerite,,,put the tin n hot water first it makes it thinner asnd easier 2 apply,,,hammerite can b applied directlt to rust, and will withstand high temps,,,
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: brake caliper paint? - 22nd Jun 2008 6:45pm
Originally Posted by BMW Joe
BBQ paint is probably best as you're only after black

barbecue paint? that's got to be a first lol
Posted By: jonah Re: brake caliper paint? - 22nd Jun 2008 6:50pm
i used the brush on type and it went on no problem, no mess or running.... got it off ebay, ready mixed and the small tub did 3 coats on all 4 calipers and i still only used half the tub...
Posted By: DavidB Re: brake caliper paint? - 23rd Aug 2008 9:58pm
Yeah, Hammerite straight to rust is good. Also good for engine bays and underneath the car. Lasts forever. I always remove rust first though.

This is the white stuff:

[Linked Image]

This is black stuff:

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Dave100e Re: brake caliper paint? - 3rd Sep 2008 5:27pm
I used matte black BBQ paint on my exhaust when i had a side exit. It came out of a tin so it was easy, but i did have it on a bench. It easily held up to the temps.

I painted my calipers with hammerite. Quick hose down, rag or tissue to get the worst of the dirt off, maybe some white spirits and then brush it. Looks fine and hasnt faded. Although i did get a blob on the driveway and its still there now, and me mum aint pleased.
Posted By: CustomIce Re: brake caliper paint? - 7th Oct 2008 11:44am
Halford's high temp paint is only about £6 a tin, brush on stuff, easy to work with, see my MMC for what i did with mine.

I've heard differing reports on hammerite, most say it gives up after a while and doesn't really stand up to high temps too well.

If anyone is interested, i may be getting Foliatec as a supplier, their paint is 2 part and really good colours (£20.17 a kit) but i need to spend £350 to start with!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral