Forums
Posted By: MGCraig Rally Spectator Injured !! - 14th Jun 2008 12:24pm
Red Bull Rally Team's Bernardo Sousa has withdrawn from the Rally of Turkey, following the accident in SS10, which left a spectator injured.

Contrary to initial reports, it now seems Sousa's Mitsubishi Lancer Evo IX did not hit the spectator that was injured. Indeed the incident occurred when Sousa's car hit a stone and sent it flying though the air and into a cordoned-off area, where it struck the leg of the unlucky fan.

"200 metres after the start of the stage I drove over a stone that flew and hit a spectator," confirmed the youngster. "As I saw the fan go to ground I stopped immediately to check what had happened.

"It was a real shock for me which left me feeling really sick. After talking with the team I decided to quit the rally as there would have been no point driving further in my condition."

Red Bull Rally Team boss Raimund Baumschlager was fully supportive of his drivers' decision to stop running.

click Me

It was Initially though that he suffered a broken leg and concussion, but turns out the concussion didnt happen. Pretty bad news though. Its getting more and more common for driveers to stop if they injure a spectator nowadays.
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Rally Spectator Injured !! - 14th Jun 2008 12:57pm
Originally Posted by Mi_Craig
Its getting more and more common for driveers to stop if they injure a spectator nowadays.

courtesy thing as well is guilt i imagine

shame bout the incident tho!
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Rally Spectator Injured !! - 15th Jun 2008 12:13am
Thats 2 accidents, an 18yo lad was killed in the Donegal rally, the lad was crossing the road during the rally.

RIP, rally stopped in respect to the family.
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Rally Spectator Injured !! - 15th Jun 2008 10:55am
Stopped the Rally!!

Thats a big step, especially from what sounds like a silly mistake on the boys behalf. Dont get me wrong, any death is tragic. But if people are on the roads when a rally is on, something is bound to happen.

There was a period when no deaths seemed to happen due to accidents, but theyre gettin common again in recent years. Specially now as cars are slowly getting faster and more like the banned group B cars of the 80's. Organisers had better start taking note I think.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Rally Spectator Injured !! - 15th Jun 2008 11:18am
sad news, all spectators should be aware of the dangers though frown
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Rally Spectator Injured !! - 15th Jun 2008 11:24am
Everytime you go to a rally, you hav the opportunity to buy programs, with coompetitor lists etc etc...

From all my years of watching rallies, every single one ive seen is platered with Dos and Do Nots, to keep the spectators safe. Theyre only simple guides, such as not standing on the outside of corners etc etc...

A death is still a tragedy. Ive no idea how exactly the one in Donegal happened, if anyone could shed any light ??
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Rally Spectator Injured !! - 15th Jun 2008 11:38am
Here you go mate...

Clicky

Poor kid frown
Posted By: Sir_longmong Re: Rally Spectator Injured !! - 15th Jun 2008 1:11pm
wasnt someone killed/injured at the rally in new brighton a few years ago by a flying skoda or something like that?
Posted By: Waddi Re: Rally Spectator Injured !! - 15th Jun 2008 3:23pm
Someone was kiiled at the motorbike racing in new brighton which led to no more motorbike racing to be held there. Dont know if it was rider or spectator.

Dont know about the Rally inncident sorry.
Posted By: Wheels Re: Rally Spectator Injured !! - 15th Jun 2008 9:41pm

[liveleak]afb_1213550339[/liveleak]
[desc]vid[/desc]
Posted By: Sir_longmong Re: Rally Spectator Injured !! - 15th Jun 2008 10:07pm
crikey o'riley! bet that hurt in ze morn
© Wirral-Wikiwirral