Forums
Posted By: MrPhil Brake Disc Change Done.... - 15th Mar 2008 4:03pm
Just spent a total of 45mins changing the brakes on our Fiesta Mk6, as the steering wheel was wobbling due to them being warped (also has to much heat in the disc and had turned blue)

Started off with getting the wheel off...

[Linked Image]

Decided on which way i wanted the grooves going as these had straight vanes in the disc as opposed to curved (will show a pic of this later).

[Linked Image]

Also due to having alot of life left in the pads i have decided to re-use them.

[Linked Image]

These discs are 259mm in Diameter due to being a mk5 Zetec S fitment (same as our mk6)

Only left me wheel off for 5mins an someone robbed me Disc doh

[Linked Image]

As i know the brakes on these cars like the back of my hand i never went to the trouble of removing the caliper from the carrier so time was saved.

I then fitted the disc and tightened up the carrier then refitted wheel. Job done..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here is a pic of the Vanes on a disc just incase anyone would like to see it.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Brake Disc Change Done.... - 15th Mar 2008 4:25pm
good on you bud for the photo's and guide, nice to see some one doing some thing and posting about it. a+++++++++++++
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Brake Disc Change Done.... - 15th Mar 2008 4:29pm
Thanks sanchez was meaning to do some photo's on the last change but as they were std discs decided i wouldn't lol.

Repairing Exhausts is nextweek as this one has a leak (Fiesta St System mated to our 1.4)
Posted By: Mark Re: Brake Disc Change Done.... - 15th Mar 2008 5:00pm
Yeh well done wink

Shame about the Disc going missing lol doh
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Brake Disc Change Done.... - 17th Mar 2008 8:39am
Nice post with good pics, but why not change the pads as well... think

Youve fitted new uprated disks - surely uprated pads should have been on your shopping list - these would make more difference than the disks!

Also, the heat that has caused the disks to warp will have effected the pads - New pads without new disks yes but new disks with without new pads no
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Brake Disc Change Done.... - 17th Mar 2008 8:42am
Nice post fella, reminds me, I want to get uprated discs myself.

There's nothing like good brakes! smile
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Brake Disc Change Done.... - 17th Mar 2008 11:42am
They are uprated pads stuey, AP Lockheed iirc, the discs and pads were only changed around 5-600 miles ago.

Discs were quite cheap only 80quid will do for now until i find a cheap 280mm conversion (Fiesta ST brakes)
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Brake Disc Change Done.... - 17th Mar 2008 11:49am
Id seriously look in to the quality of the pads then if they have warped disks in that milage... frown

(Just because they are AP made, doesnt mean they are a special compound frown )

Its the pads that make the biggest difference - I run race pads on std discs on the race car without any overheating / warping problems.
Posted By: Beemertastic Re: Brake Disc Change Done.... - 22nd Mar 2008 11:45am
Originally Posted by StuyMac
Id seriously look in to the quality of the pads then if they have warped disks in that milage... frown

(Just because they are AP made, doesnt mean they are a special compound frown )

Its the pads that make the biggest difference - I run race pads on std discs on the race car without any overheating / warping problems.

have to go with stuy on this one mate..
i run ferrodo DS2500...one down from touring car spec...due to speed/weight of my car...and when cold..they like blocks of wood...they heat up v quick..and i CANNOT get them to fade...

I uprated the discs on my S2 to go to cross drilled discs...although cheaper than grooved...they ended up cracking around the holes....not good!
so went to tar ox grooved and they worked a treat!

The standard discs on my quattro now are a whopping 330mm and so far have held up well to repeated thrashings...havent felt the need to up them to grooved discs...yet...lol

© Wirral-Wikiwirral