Forums
Posted By: Mark Gas V's Diesel - 4th Mar 2008 11:13pm
Gas V Diesel

Ive decided to seriously consider this option, but i do need more info about it.

Currently a 1.8 Diesel 18,000 Motorway driving a year.
45L Tank and that gets 460 miles motorway driving.
So its pretty much £1 a liter to make it easier.

So for every 10 miles = 1 liter of Diesel.
or £1 for every 10 miles.

So for 18,000 Miles = 1,800 liters of fuel a year.
That means £1,800 on fuel a year.

Now if Gas is %50 cheaper ( In theory ) that would make
a Fuel Bill of £900

So if Fitting was £1000 + year Gas £900 = £1900
Were as a year of Diesel would cost £ 1,800

So year 2 would have a saving of £900 from the diesel
+ £100 over costs from the year before, so

Year 2 = £1000 in Gas and Not £1,800 if Diesel.
Year 3 = £900 and not £1,800 in Diesel.

Anyone have any links or advice?
As the numbers look great but what's it really like?
Posted By: placidmaster Re: Gas V's Diesel - 4th Mar 2008 11:22pm
i had it on an old rover v8 3.5(last of the mk1 shape) range rover (sponsered by bank of dad) and it was well cool but i did mine with a calor gas type bottle in the back and could by them in lots of places but as for how it ran i found it pretty much the same, without doing any hard maths on road i found little difference but off road (mainly sand) she seemed to guzzle gaz the same but seemed felt a little underpowered. all in all the it was well cheaper, ran it on go go for 10 minutes then flicked a switch and of she went and cleaner to.
Posted By: placidmaster Re: Gas V's Diesel - 4th Mar 2008 11:30pm
Mark Top Tip, buy a kit on ebay and away you go
Posted By: Mark Re: Gas V's Diesel - 5th Mar 2008 12:11am
I cant i have a diesel...

Just thinking down the road and getting some homework done.
I'm thinking either another fiesta petrol or focus.

Humm what would be the best motorway fuel economy engine?
I'm thinking 1.4 or 1.6 ??

Its all about saving money. smile ( In the long run )
Posted By: placidmaster Re: Gas V's Diesel - 5th Mar 2008 12:19am
depends on gearing or if u gonna go that small how about a polo bluemotion
Posted By: placidmaster Re: Gas V's Diesel - 5th Mar 2008 12:24am
bit bigger but honda accord, bigger engine but very economical
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Gas V's Diesel - 5th Mar 2008 1:48pm
1.6 more headroom for motorway's, but make sure its over 100bhp. I know you're not looking for performance, just somthing that is reliable and get's you from a-b.

Maybe summit Jap? A Honda Accord would be very nice, but if you are wanting to stay with the blue oval, probably better off with a Focus given their lower pricing nowadays.

You can always pick up pre-converted Vectra's and the like if you were ever to make the jump; but as always, you're number one priority is reliability due to the nature of your missus's work, so it is important the engine doesnt miss a beat.

Hence I would go for Jap for petrol. Make sure whatever it is, it come's with the relevant certification's, as I think some insurance companies will penalise a non-certified installation.

The price of diesel is scandalous atm, at it is getting to the point where it is no longer any cheaper to run a derv then a petrol because the extra milage you make per gallon, you are paying upward of 40p for.

smile
Posted By: Mark Re: Gas V's Diesel - 6th Mar 2008 8:45am
Food for thought.
I didn't realise about any official certification think
May have to do some digging at the insurance to see if
the are any pit holes i need to be aware of.
Posted By: Beemertastic Re: Gas V's Diesel - 6th Mar 2008 12:54pm
Originally Posted by Mark

diesel is the way....come to the dark side luke...i mean mark...
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Gas V's Diesel - 6th Mar 2008 4:27pm
Originally Posted by Auditastic
Originally Posted by Mark

diesel is the way....come to the dark side luke...i mean mark...

He already is derv haha grin
Posted By: turbo_stu Re: Gas V's Diesel - 6th Mar 2008 4:43pm
diesels are crap, well most ford ones are and french ones. always breaking, horrible to work on, dirty and the power (if you have any) is all in one big narrow lump.

germans might be different tho
Posted By: mrkeefus Re: Gas V's Diesel - 6th Mar 2008 6:43pm
Bit of a thought mate, there's a little garage around the corner from mine and he sells diesel for .85p a litre( don't ask me how!) dunno. My missus drives a diesel an im thinkin of going to him, just haven't got round to it yet. Another thing to think about mate, as you've already got a diesel, is a unit which converts used chip oil into biodiesel, it was on fifth gear a few weeks ago an im sure they said its safe to use in a diesel with no modifications needed.
Just a few more options for ya anyway. think
Posted By: Beemertastic Re: Gas V's Diesel - 6th Mar 2008 6:45pm
Originally Posted by turbo_stu
diesels are crap, germans might be different tho

hell yes...until the injector goes!
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Gas V's Diesel - 6th Mar 2008 6:56pm
Originally Posted by mrkeefus
Bit of a thought mate, there's a little garage around the corner from mine and he sells diesel for .85p a litre( don't ask me how!) dunno.
I take it you mean the Biodiesel place... I used it a few months back and was rather good... but not so good for cold starting.

Me think's I will return to using it again in the summer, but I dunno just yet.

Not sure if Mark's can use Bio as not all car's can, but I did suggest it to him once when I was running it. Would need to find out if it is suitable for his car though.

smile
Posted By: dave_g Re: Gas V's Diesel - 21st Mar 2008 8:08pm
my corsa is a diesel 1.3 cdti it nippy enough but lookin to get it mapped in the future which nearly doubles the torque figure so should be pretty quick then
Posted By: Wheels Re: Gas V's Diesel - 21st Mar 2008 8:21pm
i looooved my VRS's engine!
Posted By: chris bmw M3 Re: Gas V's Diesel - 22nd Mar 2008 8:41am
The cheapest way of doing it Mark(as I have recently done) is to buy a car already converted to LPG:) Then you get all the savings with no outlay for a conversion!
Posted By: Beemertastic Re: Gas V's Diesel - 22nd Mar 2008 11:19am
no substitute for cubic inches...diesel IS the way....
Posted By: Mark Re: Gas V's Diesel - 22nd Mar 2008 1:00pm
Originally Posted by chris bmw M3
The cheapest way of doing it Mark(as I have recently done) is to buy a car already converted to LPG:) Then you get all the savings with no outlay for a conversion!
I was thinking that wink

Anything to watch out for?
A leak would be the obvious lol...
Posted By: chris bmw M3 Re: Gas V's Diesel - 22nd Mar 2008 5:56pm
Make sure any converted car runs PERFECTLY when its on gas...most common faults include stalling at junctions and holding back on hard throttle...
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Gas V's Diesel - 22nd Mar 2008 6:19pm
It's also strongly adviseable to have the correct certification for the install; an install without the appropriate certification can cause you problems with getting it insured and can also lead to problems further down the line if the install hasnt been done correctly.

smile
Posted By: dave_g Re: Gas V's Diesel - 24th Mar 2008 12:40am
ther is some dodgy stuff on the market but if done right by a reputable company works well
Posted By: dave_g Re: Gas V's Diesel - 24th Mar 2008 12:49am
i like the sound of a vrs they sound lke fun!
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Gas V's Diesel - 15th Apr 2008 10:23pm
Be a bit warey of it atm, because there is suspsicion the government will be ceasing the tax break on LPG in the next year, to generate an extra £50 - £60 million revenue, as well as the fact that it is only around 16% cleaner then regular petrol and a recent government review concluded it should'nt be classed as a "green" fuel.

It looks like the future is not LPG after all; and diesel is set to hit £1.50 per litre by the end of the year (most analyst's are predicting it will hit it by November 2008)...

frown
Posted By: hoseman Re: Gas V's Diesel - 15th Apr 2008 11:11pm
Bit of a problem with some bio diesels!
they have to mix it with a certain percentage of diesel, but depending o the mix depends how often your fuel filter clogs! Mate had his van running on it and was costing him a filter a month!!
And smells of chips! raftl
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Gas V's Diesel - 16th Apr 2008 7:33am
Originally Posted by hoseman
but depending o the mix depends how often your fuel filter clogs!

He must be using very poor quality bio derv, or even poorly treated, used cooking oil.

The reason for the filter clogging is the thinning agents (solvents) cleaning the diesel system - shifting old dirty deposits though the system in to the filter.

First time of using boi diesel, its suggested you change the filter after a couple of tanks as that will be sufficient to catch all the shifted dirt in the system.

If your clogging the filter after that (more than a regular service interval) then change supplier as there is still crap in the diesel - there is nothing in bio diesel to clog a filter.
Posted By: chris bmw M3 Re: Gas V's Diesel - 17th Apr 2008 6:31am
My lpg demon...540i manual 6 speed with lsd

[Linked Image]
Posted By: chris bmw M3 Re: Gas V's Diesel - 17th Apr 2008 6:34am
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mark Re: Gas V's Diesel - 19th Apr 2008 10:55am
Originally Posted by MattLFC
Be a bit warey of it atm, because there is suspsicion the government will be ceasing the tax break on LPG in the next year, to generate an extra £50 - £60 million revenue, as well as the fact that it is only around 16% cleaner then regular petrol and a recent government review concluded it should'nt be classed as a "green" fuel.

It looks like the future is not LPG after all; and diesel is set to hit £1.50 per litre by the end of the year (most analyst's are predicting it will hit it by November 2008)...

frown
Interesting to say the least.

I cant afford a H2o car at £50,000 lol

Humm Decisions Decisions...

£1.50 a litre omg

Looks like i will have to get the MPG Calculator out then.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral