Forums
Posted By: krisGTi brands hatch mark 50 years of bbtc - 26th Feb 2008 10:05pm
Fifty years after the first ever British Touring Cars Championship, Brands Hatch is planning to recreate the thrilling finale of 1958.

The inaugural season ended with a two-driver shootout on the Indy circuit in Kent to decide the title.

Jack Sears and Tommy Sopwith had finished the season level on points, and Sears went on to take the crown.

The two drivers will recreate their battle as part of the build-up to the season opener at Brands Hatch in March.

Both men are now in their 70s. Reflecting on his victory, Sears said: "The day really captured people's
Jack Sears and Tommy Sopwith at the start of the shootout
The first season came to a shootout between Jack Sears and Tommy Sopwith (BTCC)
imaginations. People still come up to me and say 'I was at Brands when you and Tommy had that shootout'."

Fifty years on, the BTCC has grown into one of the county's most watched motorsports, with millions of viewers in the UK and worldwide.

Attached picture _44444255_racing_203.jpg
Attached picture _44443810_car3203.jpg
Posted By: StuyMac Re: brands hatch mark 50 years of bbtc - 27th Feb 2008 9:36am
You can still see this type of cars race in the Classic Touring Car series - in the Historic class smile

.....they normally send them out early in the day, if you saw them after pretty much any other class cars, they would look very very very very slow...
Posted By: MGCraig Re: brands hatch mark 50 years of bbtc - 28th Feb 2008 8:46am
Saw a few of these at the Autosport show this year..in the live action arena.....I loved seeing them all go round hahahahah...noise of them and the sight of them was brilliant
© Wirral-Wikiwirral