Forums
Posted By: krisGTi Police launch numberplate crackdown - 31st Jan 2008 5:11pm
English and Welsh police have launched a week-long crackdown on illegal number plates.

The operation is aimed at reducing the number of vehicles on the road that have number plates that cannot be read by speed cameras.

In particular, the operation will target people who modify number plates by altering the layout of letters and numbers to change how they read, or who use non-standard fonts, tape or screws to obscure details.

At present, anyone caught faces up to a £1000 fine, the withdrawal of the registration they use and being declared an MoT test failure.

However, the police have called for the Government to impose higher penalties in future
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Police launch numberplate crackdown - 31st Jan 2008 5:13pm
Quality... bout time some of the muppets around here who drive around with blatently illegal number plates got fooked!

Am not talkin bout the one's that are slightly illegal, I mean the ones with all the fancy writing... a guy by mine had totally unreadable one's on for over 2 years now!!
Posted By: vw_kyle Re: Police launch numberplate crackdown - 31st Jan 2008 5:16pm
lol
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Police launch numberplate crackdown - 31st Jan 2008 5:27pm
better wait another week before getting my car on the road then.... whistle
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Police launch numberplate crackdown - 1st Feb 2008 11:18am
Wonder if they will bother with me...

[Linked Image]

Posted By: StuyMac Re: Police launch numberplate crackdown - 2nd Feb 2008 9:38pm
Well, Ive just been stopped for this frown

Pretty sure my front plate size is legal for an import, but the spacing was always going to be boarder line.

Anyways, cut the long story short, the officers said as I was reasonable with them, and not shirty, he'd forget the £30 fine and just give me a correction notice smile

(He wasnt 100% about the front plate size, so the offence was for the spacing...)
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Police launch numberplate crackdown - 2nd Feb 2008 10:13pm
Sounds pretty decent then, good to see it's not just one of their usual "words but no action" malarky... I take it that is a 14 day rectification thing?

smile
i best stay indoors then! already been dished out a £30 fine buy cheshire police, but that was 6 months ago
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Police launch numberplate crackdown - 6th Feb 2008 10:20am
Originally Posted by MattLFC
I take it that is a 14 day rectification thing?

smile

yes

Ordered some new plates from www.craigsplates.com

As I have a 5 Digit plate I can still get the rear plate all on 1 line, and as the car is an import I can use smaller fonts on the front plate.

Ive had to send them some ID - for me and the car, but this means they will print their name, postcode and BS number on the plates meaning they are 100% legal smile

Also, when I was looking in to the rules and regs, there is no legislation on the size of the plate, just the size / font / space of the Digits wink
Posted By: Beemertastic Re: Police launch numberplate crackdown - 6th Feb 2008 10:31am
Originally Posted by StuyMac
Originally Posted by MattLFC
I take it that is a 14 day rectification thing?

smile

there is no legislation on the size of the plate, just the size / font / space of the Digits wink

there is no reg on size of the plate BUT you gotta have 11mm of clearance all around the numbers/letters...

the DVLA have a good website explaining the whole VERY VERY boring thing...
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Police launch numberplate crackdown - 6th Feb 2008 11:03am
...and if anyone is searching on this subject, heres the DVLA link smile
i was thinking of getting some german plates knocked up
Greman Plate maker
and then using the German Stadt Badges to seperate out the s like this 1
[Linked Image]

but this reg isnt covered by the dvla's rules? so how legal is it?
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Police launch numberplate crackdown - 6th Feb 2008 12:51pm
...on a Honda think

Not allowed anyway matey frown

You only allowed your reg number (in the specified font) and a Euro "GB", as that is the country the registration plate is from.

Unfortunatly, although it doesnt specifically specify what you cant do, it does tell you want you have to do. Anything not specified is a no no...

Posted By: Brocks Re: Police launch numberplate crackdown - 6th Feb 2008 12:58pm
It would only be legal if the car is registered in Germany. A UK car carrying a german plate is evry bit as dodgy as the none standard UK ones.

If your car is RH drive its a dead give away!
was worth thinking about! so is that how ur plate appears on the v5 stuy?
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Police launch numberplate crackdown - 6th Feb 2008 1:24pm
Mine is on the V5 as J5 TUY
rite beceause i was told i couldn't modify the plate from what was on the v5 i.e. must be spaced correctly, when i was stoped last if was for spacing not the bolt in the middle of the 11.
but he did comment that his anpr didnt recognise the plate at first!
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Police launch numberplate crackdown - 6th Feb 2008 1:38pm
Been reading a fair bit about this on the net this week, and they are loooking at the bolt positions as well as the spacing...

Ive had this plate for 5 years, and never had a problem. Not even when Ive be stopped for other things and they have looked over the car. On this occasion though the plate was singled out for the reason to stop me frown

With regards to your plate, the bolt between the 11 should either be yellow or positioned inside the "1" and a black bolt can be used.

thouch wood not had any problems with the 5-0 in a while so i think i will take my chnces, good to know where i stand legally (or illegally!) cheers stuy
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Police launch numberplate crackdown - 6th Feb 2008 1:59pm
Well, when they stopped me, the took a pic of the plate to report it to the DVLA. If I get stopped again for the same offence, they can take the plate off me, and I think fine me up to £1000.

The first stop however is just a 14 correction notice, and a £30 fine....
yea i had the 14 day correction notice, but no photo, they said the same to me caught again i get the plate taken off me
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Police launch numberplate crackdown - 6th Feb 2008 2:35pm
Well, youve had the warning mate......

Your decision lol (Im sure the "Up to £1000" fine comes with the the plate confescation too frown )
© Wirral-Wikiwirral