Forums
Posted By: StuyMac Im running the BMW on BioDiesel!! - 16th Nov 2007 3:02pm
Did some reading up on it all first, and found that the BMWs engine will run on B100 (100%) BioDeisel thumbsup

Gave the chap a call, and arranged for him to open his garage for me after I finished work and he sold me £40's worth @ 75p/litre - nearly 30p/litre cheaper than the petrol station selling regular derv.

It conforms to the European standard, and needs no diesel mix to stop it freezing, though he did recommend mixing 20% regular when it gets really cold.

My BMW also runs a fuel cooler in the engine bay - Im going to cover this for the winter so the fuel doesnt get to cold and thick.

Although its cheaper, I have noticed a slight performance loss, but nothing that 75p/litre doesnt fix - especially when my 100mile commute just involves cruising on the motorway smile

The 75p/litre covers all tax and Duty on the fuel, and you get a recipt to prove you have paid your taxes should you get stopped smile
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Im running the BMW on BioDiesel!! - 16th Nov 2007 3:16pm
good stuff

Think I'll be buying a diesel next lol
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Im running the BMW on BioDiesel!! - 16th Nov 2007 3:16pm
Interesting stuff fella, I heard on the MG Rover forums that you can use upto 2500 litres of veggie oil per year without paying duty, dunno if you still have to declare it? You know if there is any truth in this at all?

Over a year, that will be saving you a fortune, plus you will be saving the enviroment haha remember that raftl
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Im running the BMW on BioDiesel!! - 16th Nov 2007 3:21pm
Originally Posted by MattLFC
Interesting stuff fella, I heard on the MG Rover forums that you can use upto 2500 litres of veggie oil per year without paying duty, dunno if you still have to declare it? You know if there is any truth in this at all?

Correct, though you must produce it yourself to get that benefit from the start frown

When mass produced, and buying it from a retailer, the Duty has already been added - though I am looking in to the possibility of claiming back the duty for the first 2500l I use, though Im not holding my breath... frown
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Im running the BMW on BioDiesel!! - 16th Nov 2007 3:27pm
Lmao, I wish you luck! Arnt the BMW engines supposedly the best for cold weather starting with veggie oil, provided they are using a Bosch fuel pump? Or am I just thinking from years ago?

smile
Posted By: Mark Re: Im running the BMW on BioDiesel!! - 16th Nov 2007 7:51pm
What flavour is the smell out the back ??
Tandoori or Chinese ?

Good for you fella smile
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Im running the BMW on BioDiesel!! - 28th Nov 2007 2:08am
You still running on it Stuy? Where you getting it from at 75p per litre... is it a public place or invites only lol?

I seen Pura Veg Oil in Tesco today, 56p per litre. Apparently the Rover SDi engines can run on it prefectly fine without modification, so I might get a few litres tomoz and give it a whirl at a 50/50 mix.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Im running the BMW on BioDiesel!! - 28th Nov 2007 2:23am
Found a place in Birkenhead via the MG Rover forums called Biofuels NW Ltd, is that where you go?
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Im running the BMW on BioDiesel!! - 1st Dec 2007 6:44am
Went and got a full tank of Biodiesel from the guy in Birkenhead on Thursday afternoon, had no problems whatsoever, £35 for a full tank is more like it then the rip off diesel pricing at the pump!!

Are you still using it Stuy? Have you noticed the whiff outside the car when the engine has been on... like a chippy haha!

grin
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Im running the BMW on BioDiesel!! - 1st Dec 2007 11:53am
ever feel like u're talking to urself matt? lol
Posted By: jonah Re: Im running the BMW on BioDiesel!! - 1st Dec 2007 12:58pm
Went and got a full tank of Biodiesel from the guy in Birkenhead on Thursday afternoon, had no problems whatsoever, £35 for a full tank is more like it then the rip off diesel pricing at the pump!!

Are you still using it Stuy? Have you noticed the whiff outside the car when the engine has been on... like a chippy haha!

grin

does it run ok matt ? wot bout performance, mpg etc ? is it any more economical or is it just cheaper ?
y not do a comparison article over a period of time for us ? think
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Im running the BMW on BioDiesel!! - 1st Dec 2007 1:04pm
i thought economical generally meant cheaper? tease
Posted By: jonah Re: Im running the BMW on BioDiesel!! - 1st Dec 2007 1:21pm
not really mate, diesel is more economical than petrol, but as any forcourt shows, it is by no means cheaper ...
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Im running the BMW on BioDiesel!! - 1st Dec 2007 1:32pm
that'll be me and my one track mind told hehe - not with it today!!
Posted By: jonah Re: Im running the BMW on BioDiesel!! - 1st Dec 2007 6:40pm
Originally Posted by Davey_Martin
that'll be me and my one track mind told hehe - not with it today!!

raftl doh
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Im running the BMW on BioDiesel!! - 1st Dec 2007 7:28pm
The guy has since put prices of his bioderv up!!

85p/l now!!!

He says its due to the increased cost of chemicals, but they havnt gone up that much....

At least the Government try to justify their greed....

I found a small loss of performance and economy when I ran my car on it, and now, with it going up in price, Im back to using regular Derv - which works out only slighty more expensive in terms of ££ per mile, but Id rather pay the extra for regular derv to get the performance back....

Beware with Fords and Vauxhalls, from what Ive read, they will only run a low mix of bio derv with regular as the deisel pumps cant deal with the higher viscosity of the bio diesel...
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Im running the BMW on BioDiesel!! - 1st Dec 2007 8:34pm
All Biodiesel is going the same way, its 85p per litre in Ellesmere Port now as well... I have heard that the government have levied extra tax on the supply chain (before it gets to distributor) to bring it more into line with the regular derv pricing and duty. Which wouldnt surprise me. Vegetable oil too has increased sharply in the last few months thanks to the government whakcing a shed load of duty on it, and Biodiesel is essentially more refined vegetable oil.

I havent noticed a drop in performance yet, economy seems about equal, but ive yet to do any decent driving tbh.

The only downside atm for me is the chippy smell outside the car, it is weird when you get out the car lol.

Ill see how it goes, ill be looking closely at economy for sure. I managed to stretch nigh on 40 miles out of about £2.50 (was literally a couple of quid maximum above the reserve, done around 41 miles before it entered the reserve) the in stop start stop start rush hour local road traffic on Thursday from regular derv, so I will be expecting to see the same from this stuff, if not, the regular derv may become attractive once again.

Atm though, last petrol station I saw was 106.9 per litre of derv, so 85p is like a 22p per litre saving, over 50 litres thats a good £13.00 saving, I should only be doing a tank a month so if the economy is good, it becomes "just about" worth it. If I were doing more mileage and the economy stayed roughly the same, it would be well worth it.

As Stuy noticed the economy drop though, its something I shall be monitoring. At the end of the day though, us derv drivers have nothing lose by trying and possibly a decent amount to gain.

smile
Posted By: sijones Re: Im running the BMW on BioDiesel!! - 1st Dec 2007 8:45pm
Could someone point me in the direction to buy some bio please!!!
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Im running the BMW on BioDiesel!! - 1st Dec 2007 8:49pm
http://www.biofueluk.co.uk/
Posted By: jonah Re: Im running the BMW on BioDiesel!! - 2nd Dec 2007 8:14am
good info there guys, i've not gota diesel, but its interestin to read the comparisons from people that have... keep up the good work matty and stuy ! thumbsup
Posted By: Pomp Re: Im running the BMW on BioDiesel!! - 2nd Dec 2007 9:24pm
Matty an stuy dont have to go the chippy now. Straight from their own cars they can smell like they have been in smile
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Im running the BMW on BioDiesel!! - 21st Mar 2008 11:04pm
With the current price of diesel (average around £1.12 per litre), I may be just trying this again soon.

I havent run it for a while as the car did'nt seem to like starting from frozen on it much, but as its gradually starting to get warmer, I will be more comfortable running it.

85p a litre is acceptable. £1.12 is an absolute scandel imho.

By 2009, the price will almost certainly be £1.20 (there is a guaranteed tax rise of 2p per litre in October), and it may be even high then this!!

It's about time we took this shitty robbing barstard government down!!!

mad mad
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: Im running the BMW on BioDiesel!! - 21st Mar 2008 11:09pm
So i can't run the Focus on Bio, bummer, oh well
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Im running the BMW on BioDiesel!! - 22nd Mar 2008 12:21pm
i wouldnt bother unless your putting it in a shitter, stuy has already noticed a permanent change to the performance of his car and its gay
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Im running the BMW on BioDiesel!! - 22nd Mar 2008 1:50pm
It depends; some cars perform better on it, others perform somewhat worse on it.

In my car, overall I didnt feel too much difference. All the peeps on the MG Rover forums are running their SDi's on Biodiesel and even SVO (without heaters) and are reporting no problems, some have been doing for it year's.

Personally, I would like to make sure I have a good mix, maybe 30% derv, but at the end of the day, even if it lowered performance by 10%, at 85p per litre against £1.12 per litre and rising, its a substantial saving, and I think my main priority is to get from a to b and not from 0-60.

smile
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Im running the BMW on BioDiesel!! - 22nd Mar 2008 3:46pm
I think my main priority is to get from a to b and not from 0-60.

smile

Originally Posted by sanchez
i wouldnt bother unless your putting it in a shitter

raftl
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Im running the BMW on BioDiesel!! - 22nd Mar 2008 6:16pm
Oi lol tease
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Im running the BMW on BioDiesel!! - 22nd Mar 2008 6:33pm
Soz mate, i just had too raftl
Posted By: dave_g Re: Im running the BMW on BioDiesel!! - 24th Mar 2008 1:55am
im gonna keep puttin bp top stuff in mine it a dieseldont want it any slower lol
© Wirral-Wikiwirral