Forums
Posted By: jonah MY VECTRA OIL CHANGE..... - 13th Oct 2007 2:40pm
ok... got the oil, got the filter, but can i find the sump drain plug on the engine.... can i b'lox !!!!

dunno if any one out there is a mechanic that can help... lol...

always had a dealer service in the past but just been quoted £90 for oil/filter change... stuff that as the filter is £4 and the oil is £20, i wanna do it meself....
Posted By: jonny boy Re: MY VECTRA OIL CHANGE..... - 13th Oct 2007 2:47pm
on the side towards the rear of the sump (?i think)
Posted By: jonah Re: MY VECTRA OIL CHANGE..... - 13th Oct 2007 2:54pm
is it a proper nut/bolt?
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: MY VECTRA OIL CHANGE..... - 13th Oct 2007 3:40pm
yeah.

normally needs a 17mm spanner and a bit of force

make sure you replace the sump plug washer if there is one.

If you find it, heres a tip - hold the sump plug against the sump whilst you unscrew it and then when fully unscrewed, pull it away from the sump to stop your hand getting covered in oil or the plug falling into the bucket.
Posted By: jonah Re: MY VECTRA OIL CHANGE..... - 13th Oct 2007 6:05pm
ok, think i know were it is now..... so will have a look tommorrow now... runnin better with new plugs in... got performance bosch ones.... alot smoother and feels more responsive too..
Posted By: StuyMac Re: MY VECTRA OIL CHANGE..... - 13th Oct 2007 6:19pm
Do what they do with smart cars - turn the engine upside down and drain the oil out of the filler cap wink
Posted By: jonah Re: MY VECTRA OIL CHANGE..... - 13th Oct 2007 6:40pm
dont tempt me... lol
Posted By: jonah Re: MY VECTRA OIL CHANGE.....UPDATE.... - 14th Oct 2007 4:11pm
OK. decided that i'd do the plugs and leads, but it dont have leads, it has a coil pack instead, lukily dont need one of these, as they cost over £100.they only need doin if car is mis-firin, which it isnt.... So that done focused on the oil change... MISSION ! smack first of, could'nt find the sump drain plug as talked about above... so had another look this mornin. FOUND IT!!! but its not a nut/bolt, it a bloody star-drive screw/nut type thing. I have the right siza star bit, but can i shift it... ? MY ARSE I CAN ? so gave up for the day and took the boys to the park.. anyone any ideas how i can loosen it.... AAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH HELP !
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: MY VECTRA OIL CHANGE.....UPDATE.... - 14th Oct 2007 4:23pm
run the engine up to temperature before hand, your supposed to anyway before an oil change this may also alow the alloy sump to expand slightly breaking and seal between the plug thread and the sump thread.
Posted By: jonah Re: MY VECTRA OIL CHANGE.....UPDATE.... - 14th Oct 2007 4:30pm
did mate, just not got the leverage to undo it.. grrrrrrrrr
Posted By: jonah Re: MY VECTRA OIL CHANGE.....UPDATE.... - 14th Oct 2007 5:08pm
sarcasm does not become u, its not big and its certainly not clever..... raftl
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: MY VECTRA OIL CHANGE.....UPDATE.... - 14th Oct 2007 5:18pm
blowtourch would be idea or a small calor gas touch, we use these in work when pressing bearings onto shafts etc. What size drive is it your using if its half inch I have a breaker bar which will do it without a doubt. Let us know am sure I will have something that will help you out.
Posted By: jonah Re: MY VECTRA OIL CHANGE.....UPDATE.... - 14th Oct 2007 5:56pm
*HANGS HEAD * ok lti tis a fair cop... will find out and let u know... will be tues prob as i'm away overnight tomorrow.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: MY VECTRA OIL CHANGE.....UPDATE.... - 14th Oct 2007 8:09pm
loads of WD40 and a large 1/2" ratchet.

I have both if you need

I also have a lot of torx bits smile
Posted By: jonah Re: MY VECTRA OIL CHANGE.....UPDATE.... - 14th Oct 2007 9:20pm
ok cheers mate will get back to ypu when i get home on tuesday
Posted By: Mark Re: MY VECTRA OIL CHANGE.....UPDATE.... - 14th Oct 2007 9:45pm
Just dont round the bugger off wink
Well round off the "stars"

TIP : when its loose.
Get the old ice cream tub ready to catch the oil smile
Watch out if you try and catch the bolt you can get oil
up your arm lol, or in your eyes. Just let it plop if its going to fall.

Oil Filter
You didn't say you had changed it yet?
When putting it back on, a lick of oil around the seal on the filter, makes it twist on better wink

Also let it get up to temp again, and check the oil?
The Filter is empty, and takes oil away from your levels,
so its worth a check.

Over the Max Line ?
Drain it off via the sump plug wink
don't risk it - its only a little over no

Hope that helps smile
Posted By: MrPhil Re: MY VECTRA OIL CHANGE.....UPDATE.... - 15th Oct 2007 1:44pm
depending on the position of the oil filter fill it with some new oil,

Lloyd and Jones sell the Torx bits so they can be used on a 1/2 inch ratchet, also Wirral spares opposite sell a set of Torx bits for 20ish rips going upto the sixe of T55 i think.

On some new engines the sump plugs don't have any washers but if it does change it.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: MY VECTRA OIL CHANGE.....UPDATE.... - 15th Oct 2007 2:10pm
WHATEVER YOU DO, DONT HEAT IT WITH A BLOW TORCH!!! omg

Its full of oil and oil vapours - both of which are flamable - more so when hot.

Not being funny, but are you sure you are turning it the right way (Anti clockwise) - sump plugs should never be that tight, or require lubrication as there is masses of oil behind them, and the thread gets well lubed every time the oil is changed.

Just ensure the Torx is the correct size, a snug fit, and pushed all the way in. Its then just a case of leverage smile
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: MY VECTRA OIL CHANGE.....UPDATE.... - 15th Oct 2007 4:21pm
Originally Posted by StuyMac
WHATEVER YOU DO, DONT HEAT IT WITH A BLOW TORCH!!! omg

Its full of oil and oil vapours - both of which are flamable - more so when hot.

Not being funny, but are you sure you are turning it the right way (Anti clockwise) - sump plugs should never be that tight, or require lubrication as there is masses of oil behind them, and the thread gets well lubed every time the oil is changed.

Just ensure the Torx is the correct size, a snug fit, and pushed all the way in. Its then just a case of leverage smile

I am not talking cherry red, also how do you get vapours at the bottom of the sump?
Posted By: StuyMac Re: MY VECTRA OIL CHANGE.....UPDATE.... - 15th Oct 2007 8:12pm
smack Forgot the plug was still in and full of oil.

I just know someone (A couple of years ago) who fitted an oil temp sendor to the sump, and soldered the boss in with a blow torch - he still has the scars on his face... frown
Posted By: MattLFC Re: MY VECTRA OIL CHANGE.....UPDATE.... - 15th Oct 2007 10:48pm
Did you know National will do an oil/filter change for like £20.00 or less...

I know its not super high quality oil like Magnatech or Helix that they use, but its Duckhams, which is half decent and is the oil recommended to this day by GM iirc.

I used to do my own oil/filter changes but given National's stupid pricing, its hardly worth it.

They will look over the car for any other faults they can "recommend" and then quote you on, thats the catch, the oil change is to get you in, but they dont take the piss, if theres nothing wrong, they dont usually make up stuff, and if they advise of anything, ye just get a second opinion, and of course is summit does need doing, ye not gonna pay National pricing, ye gonna go elsewhere lol.

I think the oil/filter change on Scotts Mondeo (2.0TDDI) was £17 odd and the oil change for my 306 was £14.20 after an online booking discount.

Add some Wynns Supercharge or similar after the oil change and its as good protection for ye engine as the best oil's on the market, let National do the dirty work and have the hassle for a knockdown price next time unless ye wanna be running summit like Castrol Edge or similar of course.

smile
Posted By: Mark Re: MY VECTRA OIL CHANGE.....UPDATE.... - 15th Oct 2007 11:13pm
My Quote = £35 then 10% for booking on line.
Mines a Diesel.

Yours Jonah on a 1.8 Petrol = £30
Castrol Edge 5W30 Full Synthetic
(Up to 2000cc)

Premium oil suitable for most petrol and diesel cars including BMW and BMW and Mercedes (excludes Volvo petrol turbo after 2004). (Up to 2000cc)

http://www.national.co.uk

Posted By: Mark Re: MY VECTRA OIL CHANGE.....UPDATE.... - 15th Oct 2007 11:26pm
O Hang on add %17.5 VAT on that price
So you loose your online discount and a little more due to VAT
So mine would come to £31.50

And 3 Days Notice is required

Posted By: MattLFC Re: MY VECTRA OIL CHANGE.....UPDATE.... - 16th Oct 2007 8:52am
Hmmmm it seems there using Castrol Magnatec/Edge nowadays (possibly in response to people asking for it), and the pricing has gone up with it.

Not sure if ye know Mark, but Castrol Edge is like £40.00+ in the shops for 5 litres, so thats still not actually a bad price.

smile
Posted By: CustomIce Re: MY VECTRA OIL CHANGE.....UPDATE.... - 16th Oct 2007 1:36pm
I'll give you a hand when i get some spare time mate, got numerous ratchet handles, so one will fit the bit wink

Fair point on getting National to do it, but doesn't exactly get you out the house for long tho does it lol!
Posted By: jonah Re: MY VECTRA OIL CHANGE.....UPDATE.... - 16th Oct 2007 5:54pm
cheers for all the advice and help people.... ice, i'll let ya know dude, thumbsup
Posted By: MattLFC Re: MY VECTRA OIL CHANGE.....UPDATE.... - 16th Oct 2007 6:35pm
Originally Posted by CustomIce
Fair point on getting National to do it, but doesn't exactly get you out the house for long tho does it lol!

Nope lol. I, like many peeps, prefer to do things to me car meself, so I know exactly whats going on hehe, I just get lazy with smaller things like oil changes when places like National do things that cheap haha but then am lazy 24/7 raftl
Posted By: jonah Re: MY VECTRA OIL CHANGE.....UPDATE.... - 21st Oct 2007 3:41pm
well, i finallygot round t doin the oil/filter change... got home from work at 5.30 am, had 3 hours kip, then got up, had brekky and got down to it... finally got the drain plug out am did the engine flush and oil change. Now, along with the plug change, the cars running sweet. quieter and everythin.... even seems to be a bit quicker, unless its just me thumbsup
Posted By: Mark Re: MY VECTRA OIL CHANGE.....UPDATE.... - 21st Oct 2007 3:48pm
Why was the sump plug stiff?
Was it because you hadn't had your weatabix.

Glad you got it sorted smile
Posted By: jonah Re: MY VECTRA OIL CHANGE.....UPDATE.... - 21st Oct 2007 6:02pm
Originally Posted by Mark
Why was the sump plug stiff?
Was it because you hadn't had your weatabix.

Glad you got it sorted smile

lol, somethin like that, think its cos i only had 3 hrs kip before startin...... raftl
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: MY VECTRA OIL CHANGE.....UPDATE.... - 21st Oct 2007 8:58pm
Yeah, glad you got it sorted matey.

Least you know how to do it now eh wink
© Wirral-Wikiwirral