Forums
Posted By: StuyMac Modified exhausts to be banned in Ireland! - 5th Sep 2007 2:16pm
News link
Posted By: Mark Re: Modified exhausts to be banned in Ireland! - 5th Sep 2007 2:19pm
Were next i guess frown
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Modified exhausts to be banned in Ireland! - 5th Sep 2007 2:31pm
Some of them are stupidly loud and shouldnt be on the roads, but they shouldnt be banned altogether. Its always funny to see someone in a 1.1 Saxo driving along with the loudest exhaust you ever heard in you life lol!

grin
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Modified exhausts to be banned in Ireland! - 5th Sep 2007 4:40pm
oh right!
Tell you what, why not ban dump valves too? Grrrrs!
Posted By: jonah Re: Modified exhausts to be banned in Ireland! - 5th Sep 2007 5:38pm
but as long as tey are within noise pollution laws, wots the problem...... ?
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Modified exhausts to be banned in Ireland! - 5th Sep 2007 5:55pm
gutted! hope it doesnt pass over to the UK.

Wonder what the sound limit is?
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Modified exhausts to be banned in Ireland! - 5th Sep 2007 6:14pm
Tbh, it is a pain in the arse, because you cant silence them of a night time.

Theres nothing worse then trying to get to sleep and having some muppet driving up and down showing off with his exhaust stupidly loud.

I mean people moan about music, but 99% of people who have their music loud, generally turn it down at decent hours, but with exhausts theres no getting away from it.

And with people getting ever louder and louder exhausts, I think there is going to have be something done sooner or later, and if a blanket ban is the only the way they can enforce the law, then there aint much they can do.

I cant see the busies sound testing every exhaust at the roadside.

As per usual, its one or two sad individuals, who go out of their way to make their exhaust as stupidly loud as possible, and constantly rag it around housing estates at night, and along the same road backwards and forwards, that will eventually ruin it for everyone.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Modified exhausts to be banned in Ireland! - 5th Sep 2007 6:38pm
Originally Posted by MattLFC
I cant see the busies sound testing every exhaust at the roadside.

why not? they do it with window tints
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Modified exhausts to be banned in Ireland! - 5th Sep 2007 6:46pm
Yes and look how much shit thats caused.

And how can you compare testing window tints which is either a pass or a fail based on a light test that has no influences from the surrounding enviroment to a sound test that will be influenced by the amount of noise?

Also, you define a reasonable limit for the volume...

Its easier to just say fook it, you wanna keep making ya exhausts louder and louder, and we will just ban the effin lot of em, anything modified and ye get 3 points on ye license.

That sounds fair to me.

As I say though, its the minority that are wrecking it for everyone else. In a perfect world, everyone would have some kind of respect for other people, but this isnt a perfect world and there are a lot of nobeds around who make their car exhausts as loud as possible and go around tooting their horn at all hours of night, and these are the nobs that are going to eventually cause modified exhausts to be illegal.

Why should people not get a good nights sleep every night, just because you like your exhaust loud and like to return from cruises at all hours of the night, sometimes with ya mates following ya, and causing a disturbance everywhere you go??

Personally, if something is causing distress to other people, I believe it should be banned. I dont believe in a blanket ban, but its probably the only practical way to enforce a ban im afraid.

Does the tinting laws stop people getting illegal tints? Nope, so that should have a blanket ban too imho. Either that or they should remove the ban altogether.
this country gone nuts
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Modified exhausts to be banned in Ireland! - 5th Sep 2007 6:50pm
It's Ireland, not the UK wink
yer ut you no its only a matter of time b4 it comes over here
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Modified exhausts to be banned in Ireland! - 5th Sep 2007 9:44pm
Something similar was meant to be passed years ago anyway in ireland...as in banning Modified Cars as a whole..cos of the number of accidents they cause with boy racers etc........that never took place tho...

In a perfect world...people could get sleep..and there would be no overweight lads razzin round New Brighton waterfront in that little Red Metro...but in a perfect world...communism would also reign supreme...i can see this goin the same way personally....being forgotten about after a while...it is a good idea tho i must admit..they have a limit on the DB range of racin cars..y not road cars...if your stupid enough to have a ridiculous pipe..you should be shot
i wouldn't buy a loud exhaust unless it was my only option to improve the performance... loud exhausts arent necessarily better soundng... i like a nice smooth bellow... altho wot are they going to be about scoobies etc which are fairly loud as standard? the older ones anyway
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Modified exhausts to be banned in Ireland! - 5th Sep 2007 10:00pm
Its modified exhausts that are banned. This is why it cant go on a dB rating, because some cars have louder exhausts as standard for performance reasons.

So long as the exhaust wasnt modified, it doesnt matter how loud it is (although dont think manufacturers would be releasing cars with insanely loud exhausts to get away with it, as they have strict regulations to follow themselves).

smile
well the car must have a rediculously loud exhaust then if they are goin to do anythin... cant see how this will work at all
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Modified exhausts to be banned in Ireland! - 5th Sep 2007 10:07pm
MOT time will be the start. Secondly, its not hard to hear a "louder" non-standard exhaust. And most of them you can tell from the size of the tail pipe.

It wouldnt be hard to pull em, but over here, they would be pulling people all day lol.
that's wot i cant see being any different there... everyone will be getting pulled... the line will be a fine one of whether it's too loud or not... as for MOT's... it's not too difficult to replace the standard one for that... might b a bit of ball ache but it's not like u'd b doing it regularly lol
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Modified exhausts to be banned in Ireland! - 5th Sep 2007 10:14pm
Its not about it being too loud, its about it being modified, and its fairly easy (in general) to establish if the exhaust is a standard one or not smack

I think if its not a big phat thing and as loud as Krakatoa exploding, I dont think there will be much reason to pull someone.

But it will be picked up on an MOT, so people will just go for standard ones in the future.

I would think they would give traffic police some sort of training with regards to this law.

smile
Posted By: turbo_stu Re: Modified exhausts to be banned in Ireland! - 5th Sep 2007 10:41pm
its to cut noise pollution matty. yes they are gettting rid of all modified exhausts but i think this is completely the wrong way about it. if something similar does come to the uk there is only one feasable way i think. introduce a dB limit into the mot. many race tracks around the uk have a dB limit so not to disturb the residents too much.

people will always find away around it. like the emissions test, people put the cat back on for the mot just so it will pass. the police do carry out random test to vehicles on the road. so people will be caught but there are a certian ammount who will get away.
Posted By: CustomIce Re: Modified exhausts to be banned in Ireland! - 6th Sep 2007 12:09pm
There is already ad dB limit in the UK, IIRC its 92dB for cars and 96dB for bikes (and thats pretty loud anyway)

I personally think its a daft idea to blanket ban all "modified" exhausts, i agree with the sentiment of the over-loud exhausts being a problem, but i feel their approach will harbour bad feeling amongst the die hard modding community over there.

Just my opinion.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Modified exhausts to be banned in Ireland! - 6th Sep 2007 12:16pm
Well tbh, theres a lot of these die hard modders who arnt declaring every mod they make on their insurance; if they wanted to get them off the road, they could easily pull every single one and find out what mods are mentioned on their insurance - I rekon probably like 60 - 70% of them pulled would be done for invalid insurance??

At the end of the day, its about having respect for people, allowing people to live in peace.

If people choose not to abide by sound laws, and they do decide to do a blanket ban on modified exhausts, then its fair imho.

There is no reason for 80% of the modified exhausts to be as loud as they are, except for people to show off and annoy other people. Which is pretty sad imho.

Dont forget, it wont affect 99% of the people on the roads, so i dont think it will cause bad feeling amongst most people, if anything it will cause them to praise the law, because people are in general getting sick of ever louder exhausts keeping them awake and causing general annoyance everywhere.

Just last night, I had my window open cos it was hot, and about 1am I was dosing off and was rudely awoken by some muppet with a stupidly loud exhaust ragging it past.

So I can understand why they are doing it. Why should everyone else suffer, just because some muppets who have no respect for anyone, decide to go out of their way to get the loudest exhaust possible.

As I say, its the few that wreck it for everyone, but if this is what needs to be done, then so be it.

A few Roma fans have a fight at a CL game, and the next few games EVERY fan is banned and the match is forced to be played behind closed doors. Its not exactly fair, but its acceptable. And its life.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Modified exhausts to be banned in Ireland! - 6th Sep 2007 12:22pm
If exhausts are waking people at night - and its the noise they are focusing on then they need to quieten down trucks, barking dogs etc.

Admittedly, there should be some limit, as Matty says, some are stupid loud, but I think a blanket ban would be unfair.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Modified exhausts to be banned in Ireland! - 6th Sep 2007 12:28pm
I agree its not fair Stuy, because there are plenty of people who have modified exhausts for genuine reasons, and many people who have modified exhausts that dont cause too much of an annoyance.

But if in Ireland they are finding that sound limits arnt working, and the problem is getting worse with just about every chav wanting the loudest exhaust possible on their car (lets face it, they usually do two mods as standard, lexus lights and loud exhaust lol), then maybe its got to the point where the only thing that is feasable to work is a blanket ban?

I dont personally expect it will come into this country for at least a few years, but id say its probably something they have been considering for some time, and will probably be watching Ireland to see how successful it is and how they can improve it before they actually make a proprosal.

I dont give a damn about people who are just going out of their way to make their exhaust as loud as possible, but I do feel sorry for the people who are genuinely working to improve their car as car enthusiasts etc...

smile
Posted By: Pomp Re: Modified exhausts to be banned in Ireland! - 6th Sep 2007 3:07pm
If they do bann it in the UK at least ban it with the hours for example not allowed
to go out after 11-12am? if its due to cause of noise. I would think that would be
much better idea then banning it all in total.

Would be easy to police aswel! as after 12am every wer goes silent and u can hear it if
any bodys out with a loud exhaust.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Modified exhausts to be banned in Ireland! - 6th Sep 2007 3:11pm
Thats a stupid idea Pomp, you honestly expecting to be curfewed because of your exhaust??

If they ban it, it will be ablanket ban, as in Ireland.

Its not "just" at anti-social hours that stupidly loud exhausts are an absolute pain in the arse, it can be any time of day or night, it can be midday and causing a disturbance, it can be teatime and causing a disturbance.

Theres nothing worse then going to a quiet place for a day out or summit and having 5 chavmobiles turning up and revving their exhausts like theres no tomorrow to ensure people know they are there.

wink
Posted By: Pomp Re: Modified exhausts to be banned in Ireland! - 6th Sep 2007 3:21pm
I thought they wer putting in a plann for if ye under 23 or something ur not allowed to drive after 12am or something? Ther was a topic about it but wasn't sure wot its called.

How they gona police that then. Well am not out anyway after 11 or 12 lol except the odd now and again.

Then again ther are louder exhausts then mine like so as the others say if its too loud they cant pass mot.

Posted By: MattLFC Re: Modified exhausts to be banned in Ireland! - 6th Sep 2007 3:25pm
All loud exhausts can cause a disturbance though, the ban isnt here yet, and wont be for years.

But in the last few years, you have to admit the problem has gotten worse and worse, whilst there are decent people like yourself, who dont go out of your way to disturb people, there are many chavs who see a loud exhaust as a must have to "annoy the estate" and get it as loud as they possibly can just annoy people and show off.

Which is the reason that eventually, it will hit the UK too.

Its only a matter of time. As I say though, its the minority as always, that will end up wrecking it for the majority.
Posted By: Pomp Re: Modified exhausts to be banned in Ireland! - 6th Sep 2007 3:31pm
I best start saving for a full exhaust system raftl , na i never wanted mine to be
this loud but jst enough to sound sporty.

It was like that wen i neva took me silencer off but i never liked the look of it being in,
the garage destroyed me silencer so cudn't get it bk frown .
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Modified exhausts to be banned in Ireland! - 6th Sep 2007 3:35pm
Lol, I wouldnt worry about it too much fella, it isnt likely to come into force here until at least 2010 lol.
Originally Posted by StuyMac
If exhausts are waking people at night - and its the noise they are focusing on then they need to quieten down trucks, barking dogs etc.

i think it's the manufacturers they need to target... not the consumers... and it should only effect the people whom have bought the product after a certain introductory date... anyone who had purchased their exhaust or wotever before that dont shouldnt be effected unless it really is excessively loud..

people who have bought their exhaust after the introductory date that are found to have over the allowed dB limit should be protected and it should therefore be the manufacturer to put it right
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Modified exhausts to be banned in Ireland! - 6th Sep 2007 4:15pm
This is the reason why a blanket ban will be bought in if any; there are just far too many ifs and buts, a blanket ban is the simple answer to solve all the problems im afraid mate.

How the hell are the police going to prove someone bought an exhaust after a certain date??

wink
Simple doesn't allways work. But neither does the law most of the time!

They'll ban crashes next as they make too much noise lol!
Originally Posted by MattLFC
How the hell are the police going to prove someone bought an exhaust after a certain date??

wink

if u cant prove it, ie: u get given somethin similar to a producer where u get so long to prove payment, ie: via recept or bank statement or wotever.. if u cant prove it due to carelessness of ur receipts etc then that's ur problem if that makes sense?

while a blanket ban would just cut it all out, it would not be fair nor sensible... but then, the law is rarely either
Posted By: DavidB Re: Modified exhausts to be banned in Ireland! - 7th Sep 2007 7:47pm
I agree with the loudness thing, it does get a bit annoying. However, you can't silence a V8. smile
wot comes from a V8 is glorious, not noise tease
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Modified exhausts to be banned in Ireland! - 8th Sep 2007 8:31pm
Lol, I was in a cemtrey (St Hilary's, Wallasey) before with someone visiting a grave, and it would have been lovely and peaceful but every few seconds all you could hear was muppets with loud exhausts driving around.

They really do cause an annoyance sometimes. She wanted a few quiet moments, and couldnt because of the exhausts flying around everywhere.

On the odd moment there wasnt any, it was very peaceful frown
Posted By: Den Re: Modified exhausts to be banned in Ireland! - 16th Sep 2007 3:58pm
will they not just do something like they have on bikes atm? my understanding is that with bike exhausts it has to be e-marked for it to be road legal. most bike exhausts have a removable baffle for track days ect..
© Wirral-Wikiwirral