Forums
Posted By: Rossyboy XR2i or 5GTT? - 13th Dec 2006 7:05pm
been lookin on autotrader and i keep searchin for 2 of my all time favourite cars, Fiesta XR2i (1.8) and Renault 5 GTT. if you had the choice between either of these what would u have? (i wont be buyin either unless someone wants to but my car first).

bit of a random topic but thought itd be a conversation starter.
Posted By: Gary Re: XR2i or 5GTT? - 13th Dec 2006 7:49pm
5gtt as long as its reliable as ther'ye rarer less scally and loads of potential smile
Posted By: MrPhil Re: XR2i or 5GTT? - 13th Dec 2006 7:55pm
personally i would't bother with the 5gtt as most have had a hard life.

i'd go for a rs1800 instead of a 2i if i had the choice.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: XR2i or 5GTT? - 13th Dec 2006 8:15pm
I'z gunna be biased and say go for the 5GTT. But as clj85, they have usually had a very hard life, and I must add the turbo's do seem very prone to being problematic, expecially with overheating etc...

Don't know a lot about the XR2i other then it was fast as fook in its day and a lot nowadays seem to be well looked after by their owners (and maybe somewhat easier to get ahold of a goodun as well).

I'd love to see a 5GTT at the cruises though hehe, as much as the XR2i is a sweet car and undoubtably legendary and infamous, I think the 5GTT has a slight edge over it when it comes to being special.

Either way though, I am sure either will be exciting to drive hehe!

smile
Posted By: scoop Re: XR2i or 5GTT? - 13th Dec 2006 9:03pm
out of the 2 i'd pick the GTT, but actually i would never own either.

The GTTs are very problematic apparently and if i were to give u 1 piece of advise it'd be to seek help from an owners club on what to look out for and what to keep on top of. they are common for overheating so maybe theres something u shud do to prevent it (like regular coolant changes,changing the waterpump more often than other cars etc)
Posted By: Matty GTI Re: XR2i or 5GTT? - 14th Dec 2006 11:35am
french all the way
Posted By: Dazza Re: XR2i or 5GTT? - 14th Dec 2006 6:50pm
Fiesta (If any)
The GTT are sooooo old technology-wise, they still run a carb and are notorious for blowing headgaskets, core plugs and clutchs.

Get something newer mate
Posted By: StuyMac Re: XR2i or 5GTT? - 15th Dec 2006 8:33am
Cant say Id go for either whistle

The 5GTT is deffinatly more moddable, but uses very old technology. Very nippy 0-60 machines, due to weight, but work them hard and they will break.

Apparently, the 1.6 2i was the quicker car (I may be corrected my dazza here), but what about a compramise, a Fiesta Mk3 RS Turbo think
Posted By: Rossyboy Re: XR2i or 5GTT? - 15th Dec 2006 3:58pm
im not gona be buying either....yet. just wonderin wot everyone thought of them. i love the older hot hatches and iv got a bit of a thing for fast fords even though i love jap cars
Posted By: Dazza Re: XR2i or 5GTT? - 15th Dec 2006 6:50pm
No the Fiesta RS Turbo was quicker with 130bhp at standard.

If your after a Ford we can chat through PM if you wish
Posted By: StuyMac Re: XR2i or 5GTT? - 16th Dec 2006 8:44pm
I ment the 1.6 2i was quicker than the 1.8 2i wink
© Wirral-Wikiwirral