Forums
Posted By: blinkyspoogle endurance drive - 30th Nov 2006 3:28pm
just having a cannonball run moment tease

bunch of cars, 2 drivers per car, 1000 miles (liverpool -> lands end -> john o groats -> liverpool)

maybe do it no stopping for sleep, drivers switching, or have b&b sorted at lands end and another at john o groats

how well do u think this would go down if i were to sort this out?
Posted By: IzzZzzY Re: endurance drive - 30th Nov 2006 4:04pm
It's something that may catch on, i mean, summer would probably be the best time to sort something like this out. I would be up for it, and sod B&Bs, tents! lol - would just be good to do something that isnt around the Wirral

This is just what i think, but it would be good smile
Posted By: Johnny Alan Re: endurance drive - 30th Nov 2006 4:56pm
Thing is mate people dnt have funds to drive any further than the local buisness estate and if some1 did they would need a trailer and roof rack to carry all the skippys who would want a lift he he
Posted By: Mark Re: endurance drive - 30th Nov 2006 5:25pm
You might just be onto somthing there Johnny Alan raftl
Posted By: blinkyspoogle Re: endurance drive - 30th Nov 2006 5:49pm
if it was dead popular could sort out stop off checkpoints on the way, maybe have a mini karting championship or something

i think the way to make a run like this a true winner would be to get loads of car clubs together for it
Posted By: MattLFC Re: endurance drive - 30th Nov 2006 5:53pm
You would realistically be covering around 2000 miles on a trip like this.

Working out in my clio it costs about 10p - 15p per mile, dependent on the types of roads and how I am driving, I would be looking at around £200 - £300 to do this.

People like Rhy who drive 3 litre jags or cars with similar fuel economy would be looking nearer £500.

Im sorry, but I can think of much better things to spend £300 - £500 on...

When my car is on the road, I drive all over the country (boredom), but this is a bit too big a journey even for me. You also have to account that once you get the very south of the likes of Devon and Cornwall, it is mainly country lanes, most with space for only one car. And one you get upto the Scottish highlands, you hit very bad and dangerous roads and terrain.

A lowered car would simply not be able to make it, even some 4x4's can struggle on some of the roads up there. And there arnt many people with diesels, and the torque you need to get up some of the steep climbs is immense.

Most people on these forums would not be able to handle such a journey safely (no dis-respect to anyone, but the roads up in north Scotland take a lot more skill then handling a car at high speeds).
Posted By: Mark Re: endurance drive - 30th Nov 2006 5:57pm
Sometimes you cant put a price tag on an "Experience".

Just think if you entered the Gumball
what an experience it could be...

There's alot of other ways to loose yu money too.
Posted By: blinkyspoogle Re: endurance drive - 30th Nov 2006 6:17pm
exactly thats what i was thinking, a british isles gumball - there's so much breathtaking countryside here that you don't have to go halfway around the world for

considering the cost of owning, running and maintaining a car these days i reckon thats peanuts really and when you compare it to the cost of track days (not just entering, but tyres protection insurance etc.) its not much either

i do appreciate what you're saying about cornwall and the highlands, if i were to organise it i'd probably take someone and do a reccae of the finer details of the route like that
Posted By: IzzZzzY Re: endurance drive - 30th Nov 2006 6:41pm
I still think its a good idea, like Webby said, can you really put a price on experience?

It'd be like a holiday type thing.. ooh.. CW holiday! lol

But id like to do it once im driving and things, i think it would be good smile
Posted By: Pomp Re: endurance drive - 30th Nov 2006 7:37pm
yup i know wot ur thinkin, but as the others say people jst dont have the funds to take on something like this but its some thing i wud love to do!

It wud definately be an experience.
Posted By: blinkyspoogle Re: endurance drive - 30th Nov 2006 7:40pm
yeh but i reckon there'd be enough people to do it if multiple car clubs were involved
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: endurance drive - 30th Nov 2006 10:01pm
I think it's a great idea. Yeah it might cost in the region of £300-£400 for me personally, but like Webby said, its all about the experience.

I'd love to see all over the country.

Maybe in the summer perhaps....? think
Posted By: MattLFC Re: endurance drive - 30th Nov 2006 10:05pm
Well its up to you lot, but I for one would not be taking a car on such a journey. If any of you have ever seen some of the highland roads or the amount of pot holes in many of the small cornish roads (obviously not), you will realise that you will either crash your car or end up with a HUGE repair bill for your troubles.

If you all have money to burn then go for it. After repair costs, this will easily turn into a £1000 job...

Not sure anyone has actually considered this realistically, except for Rhys with the petrol argument. I find it funny how a lot of people struggle to shed out £20 or so for a distance cruise, yet we all suddenly have £300+ to waste on petrol alone (before accounting for anything else)...

think
Posted By: Scooby Re: endurance drive - 30th Nov 2006 10:13pm
Good idea, just needs some marketing........

How about doing it for charity ?

You get people to sponser you for doing it within a said time for example, if you could raise say £600 by sponsership then your fuel would come out of this leaving a nice £300 for the charity.

What about getting allot ok UK Cruise sites involved, getting them to raise money there own way for charity and then doing a UK Tour to collect the funds, Maybe over 2 weeks stopping off at a different cruise each night to collect the funds, obviously take pictures, Video's etc for media publicity of each handover at a cruise event.

Maybe do a video diary and then it wold be a great promotional tool for the following years event ?

It would take allot of commitment and organising but i for one would be up for it.

Another idea would be to customise a vehicle for the event, maybe the sponsers would contribute there services in return for advertising there companies on the vehicle.

I would seriously consider supplying the vehicle for the run......

Whats everyones opinions on this idea ??
Posted By: MattLFC Re: endurance drive - 30th Nov 2006 10:16pm
Now ya talkin Jay, you have the right vehicle for the job!

Good idea for the sponsorship and promotion aspect of it, and giving any excess to charity etc...

But we would have to raise a lot to cover the fuel costs of one your beast's hehe!

smile
Posted By: Scooby Re: endurance drive - 30th Nov 2006 10:30pm
Maybe use this ?

[Linked Image]

Or this

[Linked Image]

Or this

[Linked Image]

Or these

[Linked Image]

Or any combination of the Two ??

Or The Navara and the Caravan ????
Posted By: Scooby Re: endurance drive - 30th Nov 2006 10:31pm
Originally Posted by MattyC

But we would have to raise a lot to cover the fuel costs of one your beast's hehe!

smile
Maybe i would contribute the cost of the fuel to the charity myself ??
Posted By: blinkyspoogle Re: endurance drive - 30th Nov 2006 11:02pm
Originally Posted by MattyC

If you all have money to burn then go for it. After repair costs, this will easily turn into a £1000 job...

as i said earlier mate, a good reccae would be in order.... it doesn't have to be the VERY point to the VERY point, its still a proper treck tease

i like the camping idea defo... i will do some research... i'm a music promoter, organizing shizzle is what i do wink
Posted By: IzzZzzY Re: endurance drive - 30th Nov 2006 11:02pm
Matty, i've been all over the UK with my dad, with him being a long distance lorry driver, i've covered pretty much anything you can think of, im not saying the Scottish highlands arent dangerous, but by god are they fun! I've been hurdled around these little moutain roads in a lorry with a 40ft+ trailer on the back, and i still cant see why it is a problem in a car, i used to go up there to visit my family in (of all cars) A Pug estate and *ahem*pug105*ahem* and the cars (apart from the pug 105, that was just a shed anyway) made it back in one piece laugh I think the high roads are fantastic provided you dont act the Grrr on them.

I think the idea of a charity cruise is awsome, raise money for charity, meet cruises in other parts and have a fantastic time all in one laugh

Such fun lol
Posted By: blinkyspoogle Re: endurance drive - 30th Nov 2006 11:04pm
and video is a must! in this day in age we could have live updates from the road wink
Posted By: blinkyspoogle Re: endurance drive - 30th Nov 2006 11:09pm
i think that the charity idea is definatley a good call, maybe each car could choose a charity of their choice, or maybe each car club..?

would definatley get more people on board and get us on the good side of the law wink

as with all things these days, the internet is the key for spreading the word about something like this, some good gfx and a nice website, perhaps tallying how much people had managed to raise

could probably find a big capsite at either end and hire out big areas of it etc. loads of campsites are dead nice these days with pools and function halls etc. i smell party wink
Posted By: Scooby Re: endurance drive - 30th Nov 2006 11:30pm
Is this jst small talk or are people out to do this for real ??

Maybe start a list with possible contributions.

1. Scooby. Supply Vehicle, Driver, Organising, Fuel contribution.
Posted By: Mark Re: endurance drive - 30th Nov 2006 11:56pm
Maybe thinking about how long it would run for?

Is it 1 day there - Over Night - One Day back?
Or 1 Day there - Over Night - Make your own way back?

Pesronally i would go south.
Once you get past Edinburgh there is Nothing but Hills and space.

OR
West to East would keep it more localish for everyone,
as in You all have to start somewhere, or is it a rolling start,
pick up convoys along the way ?

I think decisions like that would have to be sorted.

Food for thought.

1. From where
2. To where
3. Duration
4. And finally a date (Say the summer).

My thoughts.....

The WestEastern Run ?
Posted By: blinkyspoogle Re: endurance drive - 1st Dec 2006 12:21am
ooo, rolling start... i like that idea a lot!!!

ive been thinking about nights staying over etc. aswell
Posted By: blinkyspoogle Re: endurance drive - 1st Dec 2006 12:24am
is there anyone on here who's pally with a rediculous number of car clubs? tease
Posted By: scoop Re: endurance drive - 1st Dec 2006 7:42pm
There exists a gumball syle event strictly for brits. Its called the BRITBALLRUN - website here

I have 3 suggestions for an endurance drive

1.CW road trip - Couple of days out travelling to landmarks/shows over a weekend and having a great time with many pics and stories
(see HERE for an example of such a road trip (and thats just 2 guys)
2.CW/cruisers gumball - CW members or many cruise sites join together for a point - point rally gumball style
3. Enter the britballrun
© Wirral-Wikiwirral