Forums
Posted By: Uffda Meditation Group In New Brighton - 2nd Sep 2016 2:56pm
Come along to a small but friendly meditation group at the New Brighton Community Centre, Hope St every Friday 11.30 - 12.30. No experience necessary. Pop in or call Vera 638 2568 for more details.
Posted By: granny Re: Meditation Group In New Brighton - 2nd Sep 2016 9:40pm
Nice idea and time, Uffda. Friday lunchtime , make you feel relaxed for the weekend. Thanks.
Posted By: snowshoes Re: Meditation Group In New Brighton - 2nd Sep 2016 10:48pm
Thanks Uffda, I maybe a little late!!!
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Meditation Group In New Brighton - 3rd Sep 2016 11:52pm
Surely, meditation is something you do on your own, not in a group?

Unless I've misunderstood it, the whole idea is to exclude worldly matters, not to form a social group. Not that there is anything wrong with meeting people and becoming friends with them, nor is there anything wrong with meditation. Indeed i am all for both. But I just think a meditation group is surely an oxymoron.
Posted By: Uffda Re: Meditation Group In New Brighton - 4th Sep 2016 8:54am
Excoriator, I'm not sure the purpose of your post. A Goggle search will easily show that meditation groups are very common. Perhaps you should give it a go and learn something? Meditation can be done alone or in groups. Oddly I find meditation as part of a group can be less distracting. On my own a cat will try come an headbutt me for a cuddle but as part of a group you can share experiences and tips to help concentrate from those who are far more experienced than myself. It's more about support than a 'social group'.

Here is an extract from a mediation website which explains it better than I can do.....

What is Buddhist meditation?

In Buddhism the person meditating is not trying to get into a hypnotic state or contact angels or any other supernatural entity.

Meditation involves the body and the mind. For Buddhists this is particularly important as they want to avoid what they call 'duality' and so their way of meditating must involve the body and the mind as a single entity.

In the most general definition, meditation is a way of taking control of the mind so that it becomes peaceful and focused, and the meditator becomes more aware.

The purpose of meditation is to stop the mind rushing about in an aimless (or even a purposeful) stream of thoughts. People often say that the aim of meditation is to still the mind.

There are a number of methods of meditating - methods which have been used for a long time and have been shown to work. People can meditate on their own or in groups.

Meditating in a group - perhaps at a retreat called a sesshin or in a meditation room or zendo - has the benefit of reminding a person that they are both part of a larger Buddhist community, and part of the larger community of beings of every species.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral