Forums
Posted By: Norton Steam on the Dock - 6th May 2016 6:21pm
Albert Dock 6-8 May 2016.

Only just heard about this - a steam weekend at the Albert Dock.

From the Albert Dock web site - (for those who don't believe what they read in newspapers)

Steam on the Dock (May 6-8) – This newly commissioned event invites the whole family to step aboard for the UK’s only inner-city steam rally. Don your flat cap, toot those whistles and witness the monsters of the industrial age roll into Albert Dock, and marvel at coal-powered steamboats as they once more chug and puff around Liverpool’s waterways, celebrating the industrial heritage of Albert Dock and the city’s historic working docklands.

Steam on the Dock will see the relaunch of the Daniel Adamson – a historically significant, steam-powered tug, built in 1903, which has been lovingly restored to its former glory by The Daniel Adamson Preservation Society, as part of a Heritage Lottery Fund award. Back on dry land steam traction engines, lorries and miniatures will be keeping their fire pits burning. Joining the fun is Blaenau Ffestiniog Railway, which will see a fully working steam engine and two carriages giving visitors the opportunity to journey up and down Hartley Quay, while Roger Dibnah – the son of the late, great TV legend and steam enthusiast, Fred Dibnah – will be attending.
Posted By: locomotive Re: Steam on the Dock - 7th May 2016 7:06pm
This event wasn't advertised very well, I was sitting in the Museum next to the dock at a 2 hour meeting about preserving Locomotives, 12 of us round the table and none of us knew it was on, we only realised when someone on the Daniel Adamson blew the whistle, unfortunately I'd arranged a time to leave, so couldn't go, it looked a good day out.
Posted By: 8HBob Re: Steam on the Dock - 8th May 2016 9:09pm
Which particular locomotives are you preserving ?

Bob.
Posted By: locomotive Re: Steam on the Dock - 9th May 2016 5:31pm
It's already preserved, it's the "Lion" which was built in 1838 and restored in 1930 and again in 1965, It's in the Museum on the waterfront, well worth a visit, a lovely piece of our heritage. The Society is OLCO (Old locomotive Company) dedicated to the Lion. Unfortunately the powers that be have decided not to steam it again.
Posted By: 8HBob Re: Steam on the Dock - 9th May 2016 6:50pm
I don't think 'Lion' will ever steam again. I was fortunate to have a few drives of it when it was at Southport , prior to 'Rocket 150' in 1980.
It's a shame that they can't find some money to restore 'Cecil Raikes', which is a pretty easy restoration job.
There are also two or three original Mersey Railway coach bodies still surviving in the East Midlands.

Bob.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral