Forums
Posted By: Artymum Birkenhead Priory Exhibition and Craft day - 3rd Dec 2014 9:26pm
[img]https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net...aeee1e5e8a24e3ed6b9703ad&oe=5503A0F2[/img]

Exhibition and taster session of Calligraphy alongside a craft day at Birkenhead Priory Sunday 14th December 11-3, Free entry, all welcome.
Birkenhead Priory - a hidden gem of Merseyside! Deserves more attention than it gets, hidden away in that industrial estate. I am booked to see the finale of The Hobbit that day, or I'd be down there. Must visit again soon.
Posted By: Artymum Re: Birkenhead Priory Exhibition and Craft day - 9th Dec 2014 5:29pm
Ah how fab, I'm seeing the Hobbit the next day.
The Priory really is a Gem, I'm starting the next free Calligraphy course there in January if you are interested.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Birkenhead Priory Exhibition and Craft day - 10th Dec 2014 12:11pm
Mention of calligraphy reminded me of a letter from a mate when we were both in the RAF. He wrote like this all the time, and almost as quickly as the rest of us. If you're having trouble with the date, it's 1958.

Attached picture Ed Thompson.jpg
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Birkenhead Priory Exhibition and Craft day - 11th Dec 2014 9:17am
What a delight! I love the humour as well as the letter itself. I was secretary of the local gardening group for a while about 20 years ago, and in the minutes book in the late 40s/early 50s a previous secretary had written up the minutes in exquisite copper-plate hand-writing. People just don't write like that any more; it's all keyboard, or ballpoint scribble. How many of us now could make a decent attempt at writing with a fountain pen, I wonder? Any nib-users out there?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Birkenhead Priory Exhibition and Craft day - 11th Dec 2014 9:48am
Yes, I use a fountain pen most of the time. It makes my handwriting just about legible! A hand written letter these days is a real rarity. I also use a typewriter now and again - just to stop the thing from seizing up. A dinosaur... me ?? yes
My ex father-in-law wrote in calligraphy style all the time as well , looked beautiful .specially on the family birthday and christmas cards, sadly since ill health ,his writing is now very poor.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral