Forums
Posted By: eddtheduck Anything left to do on the Wirral? - 3rd Jun 2013 5:48pm
THE Wirral Show, The Egg run, the wirral kite festival, and the wirral hot air balloons across the river all gone, how can the wirral bring people in to spend money when there's nothing to do over here. think
Posted By: Sallybear Re: Anything left to do on the Wirral? - 3rd Jun 2013 7:38pm
What an incredibly negative post to start. The Wirral has been an amazingly popular place to visit years before any of the things mentioned and will continue to be. Without arranged activities there are still so many things to do:

1) Walk parts of the Wirral Way.
2) Visit the dock systems watch the boats coming and going.
3) Go up to Eastham, visit the Tap, see the bikes.
4) Take a blanket down to Birkenhead Park, watch the ducks on the lakes and relax.
5) Head up to West Kirby walk out to Hilbre Island.
6) Go down along the waterfont, find some fishermen, ask and learn and have a go yourself.
7) Build sand castles on many beaches.
8) Go for a nice swim at Leasowe life guards present in Summer.
9) Visit Williamson Art Gallery & Museum.
10) Go to Dibbinsdale Nature reserve.
11) Go and see the Butterfly Park behind Bebington Station.
12) Head down to the Gunsites and watch the sunset.
13) Visit some of the many decent real ale pubs and enjoy some locally brewed ales and enjoy a bite to eat.
14) Go to Birkenhead Priory, a gem in an eclectic town.
15) Get a Saveaway and get out on the Ferries and head around the Wirral by Bus and Train and visit places you've never seen.
16) Go to the bird hide at Thurstason it's amazing.
17) Rock Pool at New Brighton, so many star fish right now it's amazing. You don't need to be a kid to enjoy it.
18) Get an OS map and find some nice footpaths across parts you've never been before, see what you find.
19) Go Geocaching, Google it if you don't know, WIrral is a great place for it.
20) Stop whinging about things that are no more, and enjoy what we have on this wonderful peninsular.
Posted By: pacef8 Re: Anything left to do on the Wirral? - 3rd Jun 2013 8:03pm
Shed loads of free stuff

http://www.visitwirral.com/whats-on

Your limited by your own imagination !
Posted By: eddtheduck Re: Anything left to do on the Wirral? - 3rd Jun 2013 8:18pm
I was not whinging
I was trying to point out that the council wants to make money then stops the things that bring in the money

but if that makes me a troll so be it

troll it's like a new word that if we don't use it the world will end
Posted By: nidgynoo Re: Anything left to do on the Wirral? - 3rd Jun 2013 9:22pm
I get what your saying but the fact is our council are skint..Liverpool are worse off than us. WBC can't even sort our roads out (pot holes etc) Liverpool have taken a loan out to do theres...Are we next?? On a lighter note I had a fab cycle ride around the coast after work today enjoying this strange yellow thing in the sky. :)))
Posted By: chriskay Re: Anything left to do on the Wirral? - 3rd Jun 2013 9:28pm
Originally Posted by eddtheduck
I was not whinging
I was trying to point out that the council wants to make money then stops the things that bring in the money

but if that makes me a troll so be it

troll it's like a new word that if we don't use it the world will end

Nobody accused you of whinging or of being a troll: where did your persecution complex come from?
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Anything left to do on the Wirral? - 3rd Jun 2013 9:44pm
Originally Posted by Sallybear

20) Stop whinging about things that are no more, and enjoy what we have on this wonderful peninsular.
Posted By: Sallybear Re: Anything left to do on the Wirral? - 3rd Jun 2013 9:50pm
I wasn't saying you were a troll, I hate the word troll but anyway just saying if you want to do something on the Wirral you couldn't be in a better place, my small list is a tiny chip in a massive block of stuff to do. Why do people have to spend money? Wirral contains so much stuff to do for free it's amazing.

It's sad about the things that council's have had to stop funding but to be honest I would rather lose the council funded so called entertaining events and just let them concentrate on looking after those who need it.

personally I would rather the coucnil stopped paying for fireworks displays, but spent more on providing for people in need, but I understand the need for balancing between the needs of people and the 'face' of the council.

I have lived on the Wirral since I was 10 and I'm well on the way to being 40. I've seen many changes that have affected me and my family some for worse and some for the better, but at the end of the day Wirral is a beautiful rich of nature fantastic place to live and to visit. Why should people spend money on ice creams and burger van visits and naff flashing crap that is sold at council firework displays why not spend our money on a decent food shop and go for a nice picnic on a day out, I'm a little fed up of negativity, not from you but from people in general and look forward to the day when people are praising the wonders of the places they live.
Posted By: Sallybear Re: Anything left to do on the Wirral? - 3rd Jun 2013 9:51pm
Sorry didn't mean for that to sound so angry, wasn't trying to preach, I'm just happy and glad about where I live right now and sorry you feel the way you do.
Posted By: Katryn Re: Anything left to do on the Wirral? - 3rd Jun 2013 9:56pm
Visit the Priory Church recently renovated it is definetley worth a visit.

Attached picture Photo0847.jpg
Attached picture Photo0893.jpg
Posted By: Sallybear Re: Anything left to do on the Wirral? - 3rd Jun 2013 10:02pm
Great pics Kathryn, I visited on the weekend of the 70th BOA and it was amazing to climb the tower and see down into Lairds and along the river. It's great that they now have toilets as if you are on foot it's a bit out of the way from town. Inside the entrance, there is a tiny unsuspecting money donating drop box thing, very out of the way but I always try to drop a quid in when I visit. have you been in the chapel? The roof is amazing.
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Anything left to do on the Wirral? - 3rd Jun 2013 10:21pm
Pretty comprehensive list there Sallybear. Don't forget Vale Park - it has been entertaining families for such a long time.

Royden Park is a bit nifty too.
Posted By: Santos Re: Anything left to do on the Wirral? - 3rd Jun 2013 10:26pm
I would rather WBC fix the potholes than spend valuable funds on that stupid light and so called fireworks parade around Marine Lake last year, that really was a gross waste of money.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Anything left to do on the Wirral? - 3rd Jun 2013 10:42pm
Sallybear,while I think your list is very good for people that live on the Wirral, I think what Edd was talking about were the one or two day events that draw in thousands of people and a lot of reveue every year.
Posted By: Sallybear Re: Anything left to do on the Wirral? - 4th Jun 2013 5:31am
I see your point Dilly, but when there are big events that bring people to the Wirral what DO they actually spend money on? Parking charges, ice-creams and burgers from vendors, are those vendors local businesses? Does our local economy actually benefit from events like this?

I think the list is a decent start of some of the things i like to do to be honest, perhaps people could add to this the things that they like to do, just to give people some ideas.

I've never been to Vale Park smile Yet
Posted By: Tatey Re: Anything left to do on the Wirral? - 4th Jun 2013 6:35am
Sallybear. Good posts, well said!
Posted By: granny Re: Anything left to do on the Wirral? - 4th Jun 2013 7:41am
Originally Posted by Dilly
Sallybear,while I think your list is very good for people that live on the Wirral, I think what Edd was talking about were the one or two day events that draw in thousands of people and a lot of reveue every year.

Yes Dilly I agree. Edd was obviously talking about the 'events' that used to take place on Wirral. Which also included main events as Parkgate Horse Trials, Scarecrow Festival, European Day.

Those events did bring in tens of thousands of people to the area and each of those events brought considerable income to local traders/stall holders and businesses. The Scarecrow Festival had coach loads of people from all over the country coming, but in all honesty that started off as a local village event, and the council should have kept their noses out.It became too big for the villagers to deal with. At least the local 'portaloo suppliers' made a pretty packet, as did the restaurants and pubs in the area.
Bringing people to the area for events acted as a PR job and awareness, for further visits to an area, which in my opinion, is very unique.
Wirral... the 'Great Outdoors' get out, as Sallybear must have tempted you. Well done Sallybear. clap

Ness Gardens

Posted By: TheComputerLab Re: Anything left to do on the Wirral? - 4th Jun 2013 10:06am
Originally Posted by Sallybear
What an incredibly negative post to start. The Wirral has been an amazingly popular place to visit years before any of the things mentioned and will continue to be. Without arranged activities there are still so many things to do:

1) Walk parts of the Wirral Way.
2) Visit the dock systems watch the boats coming and going.
3) Go up to Eastham, visit the Tap, see the bikes.
4) Take a blanket down to Birkenhead Park, watch the ducks on the lakes and relax.
5) Head up to West Kirby walk out to Hilbre Island.
6) Go down along the waterfont, find some fishermen, ask and learn and have a go yourself.
7) Build sand castles on many beaches.
8) Go for a nice swim at Leasowe life guards present in Summer.
9) Visit Williamson Art Gallery & Museum.
10) Go to Dibbinsdale Nature reserve.
11) Go and see the Butterfly Park behind Bebington Station.
12) Head down to the Gunsites and watch the sunset.
13) Visit some of the many decent real ale pubs and enjoy some locally brewed ales and enjoy a bite to eat.
14) Go to Birkenhead Priory, a gem in an eclectic town.
15) Get a Saveaway and get out on the Ferries and head around the Wirral by Bus and Train and visit places you've never seen.
16) Go to the bird hide at Thurstason it's amazing.
17) Rock Pool at New Brighton, so many star fish right now it's amazing. You don't need to be a kid to enjoy it.
18) Get an OS map and find some nice footpaths across parts you've never been before, see what you find.
19) Go Geocaching, Google it if you don't know, WIrral is a great place for it.

Hi Sally,

Thats a great post with lots of things to do... however! They are all either things of natural beauty that the council cant take away or privately run / charitable courses.

The original post mentioned mainly things that are council run (paid for by us!)that brings tourism to the area creating loads of revenue for local business so they can pay the council all the money back in taxes! smile

I agree with both posts. The council should be encouraging tourism to the area at a time of austerity. The competition is the likes of Chester, Liverpool and Manchester. How are local business supposed to compete if tghe council drive the consumers away?
Posted By: Katryn Re: Anything left to do on the Wirral? - 4th Jun 2013 4:38pm
Thanks sallybear i took lots more when we went over at the weekend. Yes we went in the Chapel and the Conway Building. Really good afternoon smile
Posted By: rover644 Re: Anything left to do on the Wirral? - 4th Jun 2013 6:14pm
Indeed the post by sallybear does show a good and varied list of activities. However i would class most of these as pastimes. The original post was venting anger at the loss of our so called "blue ribbon" events, These are what attracts people from outside the area. Thought the ? after the title may have stopped people jumping all over the post with their big muddy wellies.
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Anything left to do on the Wirral? - 4th Jun 2013 7:53pm
Port Sunlight Festival (21 & 22 September) is usually a good big village-wide event.
A free-to-enter attraction open every day of the year is Tam O'Shanter Urban Farm at Bidston. Combine it with a walk on the hill to see the windmill, then go to visit the animals, have a snack etc. Kids love to play on the tractors!
Posted By: venice Re: Anything left to do on the Wirral? - 4th Jun 2013 8:27pm
Dont forget the lovely viewing points from the top of Thurstaston hill and Grange hill in West Kirby -- oh and for the younger amongst us , climb the Thor stone at the back of Thurstaston Hill.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral