Forums
Posted By: Softy_Southerner ST. LUKE'S IS CLOSING! - 2nd Dec 2011 12:27pm
St. Luke's church building is closing. On the 4th December the final service in the church building will be held at 10:30am and will be a celebration for the work of the church since it's consecration as well as praying for the future of the church in the parish of Poulton. It is not the end of the church itself as the congregation will continue to meet every Sunday for worship. Sunday services will be held at Park Primary school on Love Lane and all are welcome to join with us as we start this new era in the life of the church.

http://www.achurchnearyou.com/poulton-st-luke/page/19467/

Please move if this is not in the right place
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: ST. LUKE'S IS CLOSING! - 2nd Dec 2011 1:17pm
THis church has been struggling for funding since i was in school, back then it was threatened with closure several times, one time i remember it was due to poor mainanece of the roof due to no cash available, they managed to overcome that problem but with todays economy and not many people going to church these days it hardly comes as a surprise.

It has done well to last so long.
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: ST. LUKE'S IS CLOSING! - 2nd Dec 2011 1:20pm
I don't go either but it is sad to see yet another old building getting closed up.
Posted By: Greenwood Re: ST. LUKE'S IS CLOSING! - 2nd Dec 2011 2:49pm
My mother's parents were married there shortly after WWI. I pass it on the way to work, and it's a really interestingly shaped building - but a nightmare to maintain and heat, and to make disabled accessible, I imagine. If it's demolished it will be a loss to the area visually; first the Pool Inn went, now this. Signs of the times I suppose...
Posted By: paxvobiscum Re: ST. LUKE'S IS CLOSING! - 4th Dec 2011 6:01pm
Originally Posted by Softy_Southerner
I don't go either but it is sad to see yet another old building getting closed up.

My friend has told me that another church in Wallasey is being re-opened.
The main church of St Peter and Paul New Brighton will be opened on March 25th 2012.
Posted By: Kingmaker Re: ST. LUKE'S IS CLOSING! - 5th Dec 2011 1:04pm
I wonder what they will do with the Norman font that was given to them by St Hilary's? Give it back maybe?
Posted By: little_pob Re: ST. LUKE'S IS CLOSING! - 5th Dec 2011 1:11pm
Are they going ahead with the new church?
© Wirral-Wikiwirral