Forums
Posted By: delta6 HMS Campbeltown - 7th Mar 2011 10:52am
is due to sail up the Mersey and past Cammell Lairds today between 11 and 11.15am. it will give a gun salute to the shipyard before it heads south to be de-commissioned.
Posted By: Wench Re: HMS Campbeltown - 7th Mar 2011 1:32pm
She's actually going up to Campbeltown in Scotland for a week first before going to be decommissioned. My friend is the XO onboard smile

Posted By: poodlepup Re: HMS Campbeltown - 7th Mar 2011 1:43pm
is she being scrapped or sold on
Posted By: Wench Re: HMS Campbeltown - 7th Mar 2011 2:36pm
At the moment, it looks like she'll be scrapped, but that might all change - you just never know until the first rivet's removed.

Either way, it's bloody sad frown
Posted By: poodlepup Re: HMS Campbeltown - 7th Mar 2011 2:41pm
Very sad indeed
Posted By: Sallybear Re: HMS Campbeltown - 7th Mar 2011 10:41pm
How sad, we visited her on Saturday and I heard her this morning in work. Didn't realise she was ending her days, great boat.
Posted By: Tatey Re: HMS Campbeltown - 8th Mar 2011 11:02am
[quote=Wench]At the moment, it looks like she'll be scrapped, but that might all change - you just never know until the first rivet's removed.

If it does have rivets, it is in need of scrapping!
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: HMS Campbeltown - 8th Mar 2011 11:21am
so long as they leave the "Golden Rivet" in situ.

Sally, Sally, Sally. A "boat" is a submarine, the Campbeltown is a ship. Honest!
Posted By: bert1 Re: HMS Campbeltown - 8th Mar 2011 11:30am
One hopes never to receive the Golden Rivet,
Another shipbuilding custom thats never changed is, where the last rivet goes. Traditions must be kept.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: HMS Campbeltown - 8th Mar 2011 11:36am
Hiya Bert, you don't receive the golden rivet, you look for it and it is usually at deck level, for the uninitiated so to speak. The reward is received when you bend over to look closely at it. Ouch! There is a fine example of one in the RNA Club, Park Road East. Just ask where it is and you can have a look at it.
When you think about it seafarers of any persuasion are a mad bunch of b......s.
Posted By: bert1 Re: HMS Campbeltown - 8th Mar 2011 11:43am
Ouch is what i meant Bandy. Its the &%^$£%$ thats received.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: HMS Campbeltown - 8th Mar 2011 11:50am
It's only what I've heard bert, never went looking for it myself, same malarky as hammock stretchers and things. A good laugh though.
Posted By: PhilH Re: HMS Campbeltown - 8th Mar 2011 2:30pm
I also took my dad for a look around the ship on Saturday.Worked on it in Lairds and did the sea trials on her etc. She was in very good condition and its a shame its just going to be scrapped.
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: HMS Campbeltown - 9th Mar 2011 12:29am
any pics peeps?
Posted By: Wench Re: HMS Campbeltown - 9th Mar 2011 12:32am
I'll sort mine out TC. I was in no fit state the past few days after getting hammered onboard raftl
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: HMS Campbeltown - 9th Mar 2011 1:08am
Originally Posted by BandyCoot
A "boat" is a submarine, the Campbeltown is a ship. Honest!

I hope flying boats don't go sub-aqua raftl

"The Historic Ships Committee have designated a vessel below 40 tons and 40 ft in length as a boat. However, submarines and fishing vessels are always known as boats whatever their size."
Posted By: bert1 Re: HMS Campbeltown - 9th Mar 2011 7:23am
Its an argument thats gone on forever.

Should the Historical ships committee change their name to Historical boats committee when they talk about boats.
Posted By: Tatey Re: HMS Campbeltown - 9th Mar 2011 7:30am
BandyCoot & bert 1

Who's turn is it in the barrel?
Posted By: hoseman Re: HMS Campbeltown - 9th Mar 2011 7:48am
Is that the rum barrel or gun barrel???
Posted By: bert1 Re: HMS Campbeltown - 9th Mar 2011 7:51am
Originally Posted by Tatey
BandyCoot & bert 1

Who's turn is it in the barrel?

I'll let Bandy have the pleasure, I'll hold on for port, or a hole in a barbers floor, whatever comes first.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: HMS Campbeltown - 9th Mar 2011 10:10am
Never tried the barrel, been in a torpedo tube though, to grease it up. Sounds lewd but someone had to do it. Not as bad as having to go down to the bottom of the periscope well to clean that out though, worst job I have had to do, talk about being double jointed.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral