Forums
Posted By: jabber_Ish meteor storm - 11th Aug 2010 7:02am
for all stargazers. At the end of this week there is a massive meteor storm

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/38/20100810/tsc-spectacular-meteor-shower-to-grace-b-98fda55.html
Posted By: Anonymous Re: meteor storm - 11th Aug 2010 8:41am
Assuming it's not too cloudy, it'll be out with the deck chair and a nice bottle of plonk.
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: meteor storm - 11th Aug 2010 11:03am
smile ill be in deepest darkest staffordshire so ill do what i can to get some pics
Posted By: diesel Re: meteor storm - 11th Aug 2010 12:24pm
which direction is the best to spot them?and dont say upwarsds!
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: meteor storm - 11th Aug 2010 1:54pm
Stargazers should head to the Midlands, the north of England and north-west Scotland for the best views of the annual Perseids meteor shower tonight.

locally id recommend the big field at royden park, we use this a lot for stargazing due to its high treeline reducing light pollution, the other spot locally thats ok is thrustaston/ caldy hill

The shower happens as the Earth passes through debris from the Swift-Tuttle comet, with around 80 to 100 meteors an hour raining down as the small particles collide with and burn up in the atmosphere.

if i remember correctly from last year they were heading from SE-NW, last years display was excellent and we were seeing more than 1 a minute but we also got to see one mega one that lit up the sky and was about 6 inches long to the eye
Posted By: Capt_America Re: meteor storm - 11th Aug 2010 2:23pm
Looking forward to it. We missed the green comet last month cos it was too cloudy.
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: meteor storm - 11th Aug 2010 2:35pm
i got to see it , but my pics were disastrous frown
Posted By: delta6 Re: meteor storm - 11th Aug 2010 2:38pm
Originally Posted by jabber
Stargazers should head to the Midlands, the north of England and north-west Scotland for the best views of the annual Perseids meteor shower tonight.

locally id recommend the big field at royden park, we use this a lot for stargazing due to its high treeline reducing light pollution, the other spot locally thats ok is thrustaston/ caldy hill

The shower happens as the Earth passes through debris from the Swift-Tuttle comet, with around 80 to 100 meteors an hour raining down as the small particles collide with and burn up in the atmosphere.

if i remember correctly from last year they were heading from SE-NW, last years display was excellent and we were seeing more than 1 a minute but we also got to see one mega one that lit up the sky and was about 6 inches long to the eye

is this tonight then?
original post link says it best to view thursday night/friday morning.
please ignore my ignorance.
cheers
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: meteor storm - 11th Aug 2010 2:43pm
the peak is thursday/friday i think, but u can usually glimpse a few either side of the main days.........

just wish this bloody cloud would clear, all my kit is sorted to try n get some shots over next few days, just need the clear skys
Posted By: delta6 Re: meteor storm - 11th Aug 2010 2:48pm
cheers jabber
Posted By: GrandMasterFlash Re: meteor storm - 12th Aug 2010 10:15pm
it's best seen at 1am today apparently (i.e. in a few hours) but it's too cloudy frown i was planning on watching it
Posted By: PeteC Re: meteor storm - 12th Aug 2010 10:46pm
The weather's not looking too good over the next few days. Pity.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: meteor storm - 12th Aug 2010 10:47pm
Sky starting to clear up here now. In with a chance to see some of them maybe ?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: meteor storm - 12th Aug 2010 11:08pm
Just been out, we've go a few holes in the clouds but about 80-90% cloud cover frown
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: meteor storm - 13th Aug 2010 1:08am
I was out there at five past one, looked up intently, and got a face full of rain cry
Posted By: Anonymous Re: meteor storm - 13th Aug 2010 6:48am
So did anyone get to see the meteor storm? or did you sky plus it lol
Posted By: polo_phil Re: meteor storm - 13th Aug 2010 8:58am
I was lay in the garden around midnight for a while couldn't see a thing... but next doors cat came to join me which was nice of him.
Posted By: MissGuided Re: meteor storm - 13th Aug 2010 9:19am
Originally Posted by polo_phil
I was lay in the garden around midnight for a while couldn't see a thing... but next doors cat came to join me which was nice of him.

Lying in the garden at midnight...too much ale? think
Posted By: polo_phil Re: meteor storm - 13th Aug 2010 9:23am
Originally Posted by Snooze

nope no ale involved... shifty
I was actually lay in the house with the back door open and my head sticking out because it was raining a bit and very windy...
Posted By: StuyMac Re: meteor storm - 13th Aug 2010 9:24am
So, did anyone actually see anything think
Posted By: Capt_America Re: meteor storm - 13th Aug 2010 5:31pm
Saw one through a clear patch around 1.15am, it was red!
Posted By: MissGuided Re: meteor storm - 13th Aug 2010 7:21pm

I was actually lay in the house with the back door open and my head sticking out because it was raining a bit and very windy...

raftl That brings up strange mental images....so just your head was in the garden?
Posted By: PeteC Re: meteor storm - 15th Aug 2010 1:14am
raftl

Did anyone have any luck with this?

I Went to Thurstaston Common tonight and saw 4 slow moving 'stars', probably planes. I also saw 4 'streakers' which I think were meteors. Very hard to see them though as they move very fast and are v. faint. Just goin to check I was looking in the right area..
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: meteor storm - 15th Aug 2010 5:24pm
i was away fishing in staffordshire from thursday night, cloud cover was virtually 100% on thurs/fri night, but saturday night was awesomly clear, saw 13, one of which was a big un, burnt out for about 7 inches to the eye. Didnt manage to get any pics im afraid, spent a good while trying, but there just werent enough to stand a chance of a shot. Did see 3 satellites pass through tho.
Did a couple of long exposures over the lake . Heres one of them taken around 9.30 i think

Attached picture IMG_6114.JPG
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: meteor storm - 15th Aug 2010 5:46pm
Me and TC had a watch for a while on Saturday night but we got accosted by a security guard trying to move us on from a legitimate parking place on a public highway, so didn't fancy leaving the car unattended with a numpty like that floating around.
Posted By: SarahWalsh Re: meteor storm - 15th Aug 2010 9:26pm
The last time I saw anything so clear was in Crete.
So beutiful and also reminds us how awesome our Universe is and her bodies wihin are everything but based on time.
Brilliant !!

Posted By: Capt_America Re: meteor storm - 15th Aug 2010 9:57pm
Welcome to the celetial WikiWirral machine SarahWalsh
Posted By: polo_phil Re: meteor storm - 17th Aug 2010 7:56am
[quote=polo_phil]I was lay in the garden around midnight for a while couldn't see a thing... but next doors cat came to join me which was nice of him.

raftl That brings up strange mental images....so just your head was in the garden? [/quote]

Yes.. and next doors cat
Posted By: Capt_America Re: meteor storm - 17th Aug 2010 11:18am
I thought from the link the peak was last Thursday but Radio 4 said last night was the peak?
Posted By: Nigel Re: meteor storm - 20th Aug 2010 9:23am
Dammb, I missed it!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral