Forums
Posted By: Handbag Egremont Community Voice - Grot to Green Day - 16th Jul 2008 11:49am
A little Community Event- contact for further information is
[email protected]

Attached picture post.jpg
looks like some sort of cannabis campaign at first glance, but yep, you got my shovel
Well here's the other version not so green looking tease

Attached picture grotsmall.gif
looking for my gardening gloves now. bizarre really cos i live in a flat
Posted By: Handbag Re: Egremont Community Voice - Grot to Green Day - 16th Jul 2008 3:49pm
LOL you've got till the 13th August to find some =)
anyway who's to say you havent got a window box =)
We're hoping to have a BBQ and tea and coffee for people... lets hope the weather is good =)
How'd this go Handbag?
The event went really well. We managed to pick the only day that week were it didnt piddle it down!! Had quite a few families and their kids turn out to help with the gardening. We had Councillor Dennis Knowles come and dig the Garden, a local Police officer, The Environmental Wardens and Wirral Wardens it was a lovely day, spent the afternoon cooking hundreds of burgers and hot dogs for the kids. The end result was that we now have a lovely green space for the local kids to use and a much nicer view when you go down Rice Lane!!!

A couple of weeks on and the garden still looks lovely. The children who helped out all think of it as 'their' garden... woe betide anyone who messes with it!!!!

Good stuff thumbsup

Any pictures?
lets see if i can get this to work =P

Attached picture garden1.JPG
Attached picture garden2.JPG
Attached picture garden3.JPG
Attached picture garden4.JPG
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Egremont Community Voice - Grot to Green Day - 1st Sep 2008 6:47pm
Rice lane?

Aren`t there loads of houses being destroyed in that area?

(Ie: Comley bank and surrounding roads/back of union street)
There have been several different sets of plans for the area. Royston Avenue and Woodhall Avenue are more or less demolished all bar a few houses at the bottom of Royston Avenue were there are two people who have still to be relocated. The bottom of Rice Lane on one side were there are derelict buildings is to go to. I went to a public consultation last week about the plans they have for regenerating the area. The plans look lovely ... they are to build a selection of 2 bed bungalows, 2 bed, 3 bed and 4 bed houses, all with nice gardens and plenty of parking. I beleive that 50% of the properties will be for private sale and 50% avaialble to rent through the council and the scheme is being run through Cosmopolitan Housing.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Egremont Community Voice - Grot to Green Day - 1st Sep 2008 7:05pm
Thats good to hear, that would make a nice area given the chance.
Its about time they spent a bit of money around there and i think what you did to that gardens great.
Nice work thumbsup

smile
Ste
Thankyou =)
and you're deadright about it being a nice area given the chance. The people here are lovely, you get the odd bad apple in the barrel same as anywhere else but where we are everyone looks out for each other and theres a really good community spirit. We're really pleased that the bottom of Rice lane, Woodhall and Royston are being regenerated, what we've found is that if you remove the derelict buildings, remove the vandalism and make the area look better then you find that the area stays freer of vandalism and the yob culture tends to look elsewhere for trouble. They dont wanna cause trouble in an area that looks cared for.
Posted By: Wench Re: Egremont Community Voice - Grot to Green Day - 1st Sep 2008 10:05pm
I just hope it lasts longer than the fencing on the prom by the old Tower has.

Not long come back from walking Tarot and the fencing has been ripped up and once again, a life ring has been wrecked! I hope one of the little (or big) $hits that did it need rescuing one day and there's no ring because it's been wrecked!

Gardens look good Handbag! So lovely to see children getting involved in something encouraging and useful. Gives me hope happy
© Wirral-Wikiwirral