Forums
Posted By: BMW Joe June 22nd: Leasowe Lighthouse Abseil - 1st Feb 2008 11:42pm
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by

Date: Sunday June 22, 2008

Venue: Leasowe Lighthouse, Wirral

Price: £10 registration fee

Challenge yourself and join Marie Curie Cancer Care at this 100ft abseil at the Leasowe Lighthouse, Wirral on Sunday June 22, 2008.

If you ever fancied doing an abseil here is the chance and to take part simply contact the Liverpool fundraising office. (Details at the bottom).

It costs £10 per person to register.

Participants must pre register and the deadline for this event is Monday June 16, 2008.

The event is kindly supported by the Friends of Leasowe Lighthouse.

MarieCurie.org.uk
Posted By: krisGTi Re: June 22nd: Leasowe Lighthouse Abseil - 2nd Feb 2008 12:41pm
a think a might do this 1 again

are u doing this 1 again joe
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: June 22nd: Leasowe Lighthouse Abseil - 2nd Feb 2008 1:01pm
yeah think I will mate.

anyone else up for it
I did some abseiling when i was in the army, Was off a big bridge into a river tho raftl

Id be up for this smile
Posted By: Mark Re: June 22nd: Leasowe Lighthouse Abseil - 2nd Feb 2008 4:02pm
I might give it a go smile

We all missed out on the Abseil down the Tunnel Vent Shaft last year frown
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: June 22nd: Leasowe Lighthouse Abseil - 2nd Feb 2008 6:54pm
Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......................

Sounds intresting ????????
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: June 22nd: Leasowe Lighthouse Abseil - 2nd Feb 2008 8:12pm
it is, well worth doing, even if it is over in a matter of seconds lol
Posted By: Mark Re: June 22nd: Leasowe Lighthouse Abseil - 2nd Feb 2008 9:56pm
Ive heard your missus say that Joe think
Posted By: MattLFC Re: June 22nd: Leasowe Lighthouse Abseil - 2nd Feb 2008 10:11pm
Originally Posted by Mark

raftl raftl
Posted By: vw_kyle Re: June 22nd: Leasowe Lighthouse Abseil - 3rd Feb 2008 12:05pm
lol
Originally Posted by BMW Joe
it is, well worth doing, even if it is over in a matter of seconds lol

Originally Posted by Mark

raftl That hurt reading that raftl
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: June 22nd: Leasowe Lighthouse Abseil - 3rd Feb 2008 2:39pm
not as much as it hurts me when she says it cry
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: June 22nd: Leasowe Lighthouse Abseil - 4th Feb 2008 12:03am
raftl
Posted By: Waddi Re: June 22nd: Leasowe Lighthouse Abseil - 4th Feb 2008 11:03am
What Charity is it for?
Posted By: MattLFC Re: June 22nd: Leasowe Lighthouse Abseil - 4th Feb 2008 11:20am
Marie Curie Cancer Care
I'm doing it!
Posted By: Wheels Re: June 22nd: Leasowe Lighthouse Abseil - 2nd May 2008 9:29pm
is there a weight limit?
Hi Wheels. I believe it is 16 stone.
Posted By: Wheels Re: June 22nd: Leasowe Lighthouse Abseil - 2nd May 2008 9:52pm
dam im 19st frown

2 rope maybe? frown
flex
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: June 22nd: Leasowe Lighthouse Abseil - 2nd May 2008 10:49pm
haha gutted.

Don't know if I'll be doing it yet.

Good luck with your sponsorship anyway Softy.

You done abseiling before?
Posted By: Waddi Re: June 22nd: Leasowe Lighthouse Abseil - 3rd May 2008 12:16am
I was up for this, but like Whelan says, weight limit?.

I wonder if the leaning lighthouse of leasowe would attract any tourism
Posted By: dave_g Re: June 22nd: Leasowe Lighthouse Abseil - 3rd May 2008 1:14am
abseilin LOL
Posted By: Wheels Re: June 22nd: Leasowe Lighthouse Abseil - 3rd May 2008 7:29am
Originally Posted by WADDI

I wonder if the leaning lighthouse of leasowe would attract any tourism

raftl
I did some abseiling when i was in the army, Off a very high bridge into a little river lol,

Dead fun, Well worth doing if you ever get the chance smile
Hi Joe.
No never done abseiling before and don't really like heights - great combination eh! nono
Posted By: BMW_Sparkie Re: June 22nd: Leasowe Lighthouse Abseil - 3rd May 2008 10:34am
Originally Posted by Softy_Southerner
Hi Joe.
No never done abseiling before and don't really like heights - great combination eh! nono

Not keen on the heights meself and wouldnt do an abseil, so respect to ya for doing it and good luck.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: June 22nd: Leasowe Lighthouse Abseil - 3rd May 2008 11:06am
It doesn't seem very high up there.

The only thing is, they get you to lean right back off the edge when you first start off, but once you're past that bit, it's over too quick.

Go for the rope on the left hand side at the top of lighthouse as you don't have a window recess to contend with on the way down lol
Thanks for tip Joe.
I'm both excited and terrified but it's for a good cause.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: June 22nd: Leasowe Lighthouse Abseil - 3rd May 2008 3:07pm
I've done a bit of abseiling, mostly down old mine shafts (you can't see where you are going to fall ha.ha.).

The gripping bit, if it's your first time, is the initial lean back. The journey down will be PURE ENJOYMENT, I guarantee. As BMW Joe says, it's over too quickly.

Your harness and anchor points will have been double-checked to say the least!

Have total faith in the gear and instructors. I guarantee you will have a grin from ear to ear when you touch down!

Enjoy !!
Posted By: chriskay Re: June 22nd: Leasowe Lighthouse Abseil - 3rd May 2008 8:49pm
I agree with Pinzgauer. I too have done plenty of abseiling (when I was young we called it rappelling). You just have to resist the feeling that you want to be nearer the wall; if you lean too far inwards, your feet slip & you bang into the wall. Lean back & enjoy.
Hope no one minds if I bump this back up as it's happening this Sunday. Fingers crossed the weather brightens up a bit. I've managed to raise over £400 so far so I'm well chuffed (as we say down south!).
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: June 22nd: Leasowe Lighthouse Abseil - 18th Jun 2008 6:24pm
Well done on raising over £400!

Totally forgot about this, not had the time otherwise I would have done it again.

Good luck smile
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: June 22nd: Leasowe Lighthouse Abseil - 22nd Jun 2008 12:23am
congrats n all smile
Posted By: Anonymous Re: June 22nd: Leasowe Lighthouse Abseil - 22nd Jun 2008 12:31am
am goin to do this next time well done all clap clap clap
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: June 22nd: Leasowe Lighthouse Abseil - 22nd Jun 2008 10:00pm
UPDATE
Due to the high winds we were unable to do abseil today. About 16 people did manage to come down before the winds got too strong and it was too dangerous frown They are going to reschedule for another day!
For those that thought they had missed it, (or were you all talk wink )it has been rescheduled for Sunday August 10th. It may be worth trying to get in. If anyone wants contact number PM me and I'll let you have it.
Fingers crossed and weather permitting, it should be happening this Sunday at 11.am.
Wish me luck!
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: June 22nd: Leasowe Lighthouse Abseil - 5th Aug 2008 9:17pm
Good luck happy
I did it!!!!!
Nearly bottled it and climbed back in. Gave myself a good talking to. I'd raised £447 - how could I tell all those people that I'd flunked it? Deep breathe and down I went.

Attached picture lyn abseil 0341.jpg
Posted By: chiccy Re: June 22nd: Leasowe Lighthouse Abseil - 11th Aug 2008 8:53pm
omg i didnt know u was a laydee!!!!!!!!!!

WOW well done bet ur SOOO pround!
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: June 22nd: Leasowe Lighthouse Abseil - 11th Aug 2008 9:33pm
£447 omg

well done clap

did you get the right hand side (from the top) and remembered to avoid the window void?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: June 22nd: Leasowe Lighthouse Abseil - 11th Aug 2008 9:35pm
clapwell doneclap laugh
Thanks everyone!
Yes Joe I had the RH side - I don't think I would have coped with the window AND it was more windy on that side.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral