Forums
Posted By: James____ Any old bikes or bike parts - 11th Aug 2016 5:51pm
I have just got a 1970 raleigh racer and want to change it a little so it is nicer to ride for me so want to see what's out there to make it better anyone got any ideas would be good too and how do I put straight bars on it thanks people

Attached picture image.jpg
Posted By: j_demo Re: Any old bikes or bike parts - 11th Aug 2016 9:28pm
Ideas for upgrades that i would personally consider: better pedals, better brake pads, complete cable rewire (both brake and gear cables) maybe new tyres depending on how much life is left in them. Also you mention straight bars, that's all well and good but if you did want to change the bars then you're certainly going to need to change the stem and brake levers, and more than likely the headset too (going from what i can see in your dark, blurred pic) so for ease and cost effectiveness, i'd suggest you just get new bar tape and learn to get comfortable with the bars and setup you have.

How au fait are you with bicycle mechanics and maintenance? If it's not been serviced for a few years a complete strip and re-grease would be recommended, as would probably a new chain. and if the bottom bracket (the bit between the pedals) makes any noise i'd get that seen to asap.

But as far as actually doing 'upgrades' are concerned, ride it and see what you want to change about it, no point changing things that don't need to be changed.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Any old bikes or bike parts - 12th Aug 2016 8:25am
Originally Posted by j_demo
Ideas for upgrades that i would personally consider: better pedals, better brake pads, complete cable rewire (both brake and gear cables) maybe new tyres depending on how much life is left in them. Also you mention straight bars, that's all well and good but if you did want to change the bars then you're certainly going to need to change the stem and brake levers, and more than likely the headset too (going from what i can see in your dark, blurred pic) so for ease and cost effectiveness, i'd suggest you just get new bar tape and learn to get comfortable with the bars and setup you have.

How au fait are you with bicycle mechanics and maintenance? If it's not been serviced for a few years a complete strip and re-grease would be recommended, as would probably a new chain. and if the bottom bracket (the bit between the pedals) makes any noise i'd get that seen to asap.

But as far as actually doing 'upgrades' are concerned, ride it and see what you want to change about it, no point changing things that don't need to be changed.

I think the bottom bit between the pedals may be called the crank not the bracket ( that is if I'm au fait with mechanics ) smile
Posted By: j_demo Re: Any old bikes or bike parts - 12th Aug 2016 10:25am
Originally Posted by Dilly
Originally Posted by j_demo

I think the bottom bit between the pedals may be called the crank not the bracket ( that is if I'm au fait with mechanics ) smile

Crank arm = the bit between the pedal and the sprocket, ie the bit the pedal screws in to.
Crank set = the whole thing including sprocket, arm and bottom bracket
Bottom bracket = the "axle" (for want of a better term) and that's the bit that wears the most and is designed to break and wear out so other more expensive parts don't get damaged.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral