Forums
Posted By: j_demo Microwave - 10th Aug 2016 4:48pm
Anyone know anywhere with Microwaves on sale? Tried Argos, Asda & Tesco and none have any real bargains. Mine's packed up so looking for a new one. Anyone got any other ideas where to look? Ideally i'd like it to be in a shop so i can go and have a look at it before i buy. Cheers
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Microwave - 10th Aug 2016 8:48pm
http://www.tjhughes.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=microwave £49.99

http://www.wilko.com/kitchen-appliances/microwaves+mini-ovens/icat/microwaves#esp_pg=1. few around £50

cheapest new on ebay is around £39 and that's Argos.

Aldi have them in from time to time but would steer clear if an unknown make.
Posted By: gerrymoore Re: Microwave - 11th Aug 2016 7:30am
Just to say we bought our microwave/grill from ALDI over 10 years ago for 50 euros (we lived in Spain then) still working perfectly...I don't believe 'names' matter much these days.......just my opinion.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Microwave - 11th Aug 2016 7:52am
Originally Posted by gerrymoore
Just to say we bought our microwave/grill from ALDI over 10 years ago for 50 euros (we lived in Spain then) still working perfectly...I don't believe 'names' matter much these days.......just my opinion.

You know you've now put the jinx on it Gerry and it will now give up the ghost smile
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Microwave - 11th Aug 2016 9:21am
ive had a couple of items
gardenline Petrol hedge trimmer which took back faulty

gardenline conservatory blower heater which was working fine for several years and then I noticed they had been recalled 3 years earlier for a fault that could cause them to catch fire!. Got a full refund and still using it ! (just not on a carpet)
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Microwave - 11th Aug 2016 9:41pm
Ours packed up last year, and I took it to a guy in Crosby. I retired to a local pub for a pint and read the paper, by which time he'd replaced the magnetron. £50 and it has been fine ever since. Magnetrons are a form of thermionic valve and they don't last forever, but you don't need to buy a complete microwave. The Magnetron can be replaced.

Next time I'll buy a magnetron online and fit it myself. They are only £35, and it's not hard to do. You have to be careful of damaging the ceramic insulators though as they contain beryllium oxide. This is poisonous and may be mildly radioactive. It's fine as long as you leave it alone but you really don't want to inhale or ingest the dust if it gets damaged. Just be careful.

One tip, by the way, is to make sure the air intake grilles don't become choked with dust. they are usually behind the thing, so unless you dig it out you won't know until the thing overheats and dies on you. I haul our microwave out and run the Vacuum over it from time to time.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral