Forums
Posted By: conan Tom Tom - 10th Apr 2016 10:49am
Tomtom sat nav and power lead for car wanted please smile
Posted By: minicooper Re: Tom Tom - 10th Apr 2016 3:50pm
Got a lovely Tom Tom live, with a big screen
It's got a case, and charger?
Posted By: Heswall1958 Re: Tom Tom - 10th Apr 2016 5:58pm
I bought a Tom Tom 13 months ago from Ideal World. It broke a week after it's 12 month guarantee period was up and when I explained this to customer services they practically told me TOUGH!!! So beware, they are fantastic whilst they are drawing you in buying their good but the after care has a lot to be desired. I would try another brand smile
Posted By: venice Re: Tom Tom - 10th Apr 2016 10:45pm
Heswall. Under the Consumer Rights Act Oct 2015 - you now have 6 years to complain about a product you suspect may have had a manufacturing fault or weakness which rendered it unfit for purpose after a much shorter time than one would reasonably expect .

The downside is that you have to prove this was a weakness likely to have been there when you bought it .Too Expensive for cheapish gadgets if you commission a proper report . However, if you intend to get this repaired anyway, its worth taking it to a 'proper' repairer ( ideally ring Tom Tom and ask them to recommend a repairer in your area- you never know, if you explain to them youre intending to go the Consumer act route they may just say they will organize repair for you) and ask if he can identify whats wrong and give you an estimate for repair. Its likely you may have to pay a tenner or something for the estimate which would be taken off actual repair cost. Ask if he would be able to provide a proper itemized bill after repair.

If you go ahead with the repair, explain to the repairer you dont expect a full report, but please could he on his bill/receipt ( his company headed notepaper) list exactly what part/s were faulty , or what had caused the failure and to please keep any faulty parts , so you can challenge
the shop where you bought it , under the Consumer Act.

If you get such a receipt, email Ideal World , stating how surprised you were to be turned away , and that you have double checked your rights with online consuma group MSE, and as it is clear from your repair receipt that parts have had to be replaced a lot earlier that would be expected, and given there is no sign of deliberate misuse on the item , you are asking them to please reinburse you for this repair under the Consumer Rights Act Oct 2015

Its still relatively unknown this 6 yr thing and many shops dont understand the Consumer Act rules. This veiled threat of the possibility of being talked about on a consumer site, may galvanize them into saying yes. Maybe worth a try. It can defo work , look through MSE Consumer section yourself. Good luck.

© Wirral-Wikiwirral