Forums
Posted By: Gold_Moon Help needed with family tree research. - 23rd Nov 2012 9:28am
Can anyone help me to find out about my Grandfather's war service? I've hit a big brick wall!

He was in WW1, but all I've been able to discover is from the 1918 Absent Voters List. It gives his address 86 Dacre Street, Birkenhead, and his regimental number; 112564 GNR 31st A.A. Co. R.G.A.

His other details are below;

NAME: James William Wilson (1895 - 1957)
BORN: 03/10/1895 in 42 Watson Street, Birkenhead (birth record 8a, 475.
PARENTS: William Wilson (1867-1949) and Mary Hall (c1866.)

If anyone here has experience with researching army records, I would greatly value your help or advice. pray

Posted By: bert1 Re: Help needed with family tree research. - 23rd Nov 2012 10:28am
Hi,

can't find anything on Ancestry for him, you probably know that a lot of records were destroyed, It looks like he was a gunner in the Royal Garrison Artillery, they fired the big heavy stuff. I can only suggest you contact link

http://www.armymuseums.org.uk/museums/0000000034-Firepower!-Royal-Artillery-Museum.htm

Good Luck

Posted By: granny Re: Help needed with family tree research. - 23rd Nov 2012 12:10pm
Gold Moon, Bebington Library, if you are near enough, have a Family History Research group once a month. Can't remember which day but they are very good and can help you access anything.
Give the library a call.
Posted By: ludwigvan Re: Help needed with family tree research. - 23rd Nov 2012 12:25pm
Ask to speak to the manager Graham Knowles.
Posted By: OxtonHill Re: Help needed with family tree research. - 23rd Nov 2012 2:12pm
Originally Posted by Gold_Moon
112564 GNR 31st A.A. Co. R.G.A.

NAME: James William Wilson (1895 - 1957)

I cannot see a Wilson with a regimental No. 112564 in the Medal card Index.

As Bert1 says a lot of records were burnt. I don't see him in the Service records or Pension records, but he should be among the Medal Card Index. Do you have any of his medals to check the number?
Posted By: Gold_Moon Re: Help needed with family tree research. - 23rd Nov 2012 7:01pm
Thank you so much to everyone who has replied! smile

@Bert1: That link has some useful email contact addresses, I'll be writing to some of those! smile

@Granny: Thank-you, I didn't know about this! I'll be looking into it... smile

@OxtonHill: Sadly, my Mum doesn't have ANY of her Dad's medals. Her Mum's second husband quietly got rid of them, probably sold them. frown This is why I'm finding it very difficult to find out anything about him, there's very little to go on. frown
© Wirral-Wikiwirral