Forums
Posted By: sam_w Self Drive Car Transporter Hire. - 10th Oct 2012 7:13pm
Hi,

I’ve got a trackday booked at Oulton Park on the 31st October. Just wondering if anyone knows of a company on the Wirral (or slightly further afield) that hires out transporters?

Unfortunately I passed me test after 1997 so im unable to tow a trailer big enough on my license.

Anyhelp is much appreciated.

Sam
Posted By: slacky Re: Self Drive Car Transporter Hire. - 10th Oct 2012 7:57pm
Pm'd
Posted By: TheDr Re: Self Drive Car Transporter Hire. - 10th Oct 2012 8:15pm
Are you sure you can't tow a trailer on your licence ?

I know that there are new rules coming in next year, and that '97 was the cut-off point for larger vehicles, but according to DVLA website you can have a combined weight of 3.5t (up to 4.25t depending on the weight combination), and track cars are not normally as heavy as road going vehicles.

The following is copied from the DVLA/GOV website:

Category B: Vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes MAM and with up to eight passenger seats
Category B vehicles may be coupled with a trailer up to 750kgs MAM (allowing a combined weight up to 4.25 tonnes MAM) or a trailer over 750kgs MAM provided the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle, and the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes MAM.

For example:
a vehicle with an unladen weight of 1.25 tonnes and a MAM of 2 tonnes coupled with a trailer with a MAM of 1.25 tonnes could be driven by the holder of a category B entitlement. This is because the MAM of the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes and also the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the drawing vehicle

Whereas
the same vehicle with an unladen weight of 1.25 tonnes and a MAM of 2 tonnes when coupled with a trailer with a MAM of 1.5 tonnes would fall within category B+E. This is because although the combined weight of the vehicle and trailer is within the 3.5 tonnes MAM limit, the MAM of the trailer is more than the unladen weight of the drawing vehicle

Vehicle manufacturers normally recommend a maximum weight of trailer appropriate to their vehicle. Details can usually be found in the vehicle's handbook or obtained from car dealerships. The size of the trailer recommended for an average family car with an unladen weight of around 1 tonne would be well within the new category B threshold.
Posted By: sam_w Re: Self Drive Car Transporter Hire. - 10th Oct 2012 8:18pm
Ive done a few hours of reasearch on the subject, but the towing vehicle will be a Renault Megane II (2006).

But at the moment im working away and have no access to the VIN plate to check the MAM of the car. But then I will need to find a trailer that has a plated MAM less than the MAM of the megane (which is around 1.4t)
Posted By: dave_g Re: Self Drive Car Transporter Hire. - 11th Oct 2012 10:48pm
there is a company on the web who hire them out think the nearest one is manchester,cant remember the name of them though.
Posted By: sam_w Re: Self Drive Car Transporter Hire. - 12th Oct 2012 6:10pm
Cheers for all your replys and PM's,

Dave_g i fiund this company and have booked though them. smile
Posted By: dave_g Re: Self Drive Car Transporter Hire. - 12th Oct 2012 9:12pm
i found them when i was going to buy an old shed,think they are quite reasonable.have fun!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral