Forums
Posted By: Clive Loan of 16gb or 32gb Usb Pen Drive - 10th Mar 2012 1:58pm
Does any one have a 16gb or 32gb memory stick they could loan me please for a few hours, I need to copy my recovery partion onto it, just incase things go wrong when I try to change my windows 7 to a 32bit edition.

Thanks.
Posted By: markeee Re: Loan of 16gb or 32gb Usb Pen Drive - 10th Mar 2012 2:01pm
got a external hd
Posted By: Clive Re: Loan of 16gb or 32gb Usb Pen Drive - 10th Mar 2012 2:05pm
No good, it needs to be usb pendrive, thanks any way
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Loan of 16gb or 32gb Usb Pen Drive - 10th Mar 2012 2:11pm
Can't you just make a recovery disc mate? Most recovery discs configure the hard drive with the recovery partition (and even if not, they will still give you the same ability to recover your OS/system to factory standard).

Recovery discs are worth having, because if your HDD goes down, you can't then use the recovery partition lol.
Posted By: Clive Re: Loan of 16gb or 32gb Usb Pen Drive - 10th Mar 2012 2:26pm
It wont let me make any more recovery discs, it only lets you make one copy, hp have directed me to a program that lets me copy all the partion on to usb stick.

I have a genuine win 7 32bit, i want to install it and see if it works with my code on laptop, if not i can then use the recovery partion on usb stick to put it back
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Loan of 16gb or 32gb Usb Pen Drive - 10th Mar 2012 2:36pm
Can't you install it without touching the recovery partition?
Posted By: Clive Re: Loan of 16gb or 32gb Usb Pen Drive - 10th Mar 2012 2:48pm
Wouldn't know where to start lol.
Posted By: TheDr Re: Loan of 16gb or 32gb Usb Pen Drive - 10th Mar 2012 4:07pm
If you can get to the shop before 6pm I have a 32GB I can loan you.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Loan of 16gb or 32gb Usb Pen Drive - 10th Mar 2012 4:15pm
Originally Posted by Willo
Wouldn't know where to start lol.

Pretty straightforward tbh, you should be presented with disk options when you use the Windows 7 installer. You can choose the drive you wish to install to, think it may be within an "advanced disk options" tab or similar, but it is certainly there.

I installed Win7 on my M8 on top of my alongside my Vista install and whilst keeping all my media files on the secondary partition using the options, when I transferred my M8's to my new laptop. It also left the original recovery partition from the old laptop intact funnily enough. You simply choose which partition you intend to install to.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral