Forums
Posted By: jpharrison computer! - 13th Dec 2011 1:58pm
im looking for, preferably, a desktop computer, not to expensive but a decent one.

thanks laugh
Posted By: TheComputerLab Re: computer! - 13th Dec 2011 1:59pm
https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/636789/Great_Gaming_PC.html#Post636789

Perfect smile
Posted By: jpharrison Re: computer! - 13th Dec 2011 2:01pm
i was looking at this before, bit out my price range though frown i only want a cheap one but as i said, a decent one
Posted By: TheComputerLab Re: computer! - 13th Dec 2011 2:05pm
Originally Posted by jpharrison
i was looking at this before, bit out my price range though frown i only want a cheap one but as i said, a decent one

Lol story of everyones life,
Posted By: jpharrison Re: computer! - 13th Dec 2011 2:06pm
do you not have any others for sale??
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: computer! - 13th Dec 2011 2:23pm

Your a mug, thats well too cheap.

im looking for, preferably, a desktop computer, not to expensive but a decent one.

thanks laugh

What do you want it for? Ie, The internet?
I sold that laptop for £30 yesterday, shame, forgot about you.
Posted By: jpharrison Re: computer! - 13th Dec 2011 2:27pm
gaming and surfing. an well you would, considering ive messaged you.
Posted By: Wench Re: computer! - 13th Dec 2011 3:38pm
Try TheDr on here wink
Posted By: jpharrison Re: computer! - 13th Dec 2011 3:46pm
dr who? wink
Posted By: TheDr Re: computer! - 13th Dec 2011 4:17pm
I think that would be me smile

How much are you looking to spend and I'll see what I can do for that price.
Posted By: jpharrison Re: computer! - 13th Dec 2011 4:19pm
hey! an erm i dunno. just a decent one to play games on an surf an that wont be slow. but dont wanna spend no where near the 280 for the one thats advertised.
Posted By: TheDr Re: computer! - 13th Dec 2011 4:23pm
Just for the machine itself, no monitor, just let me know your budget, I have quite a few ready to go all with Windows (genuine) installed/updated etc, I just can't give you details of a few on here as that's advertising, but if you tell me what you want to spend I'll say what I have for that price and then everybody on here can tell you how expensive that is laugh
Posted By: jpharrison Re: computer! - 13th Dec 2011 4:26pm
i dont know what my budget is. whats your recommendation?! haha

its just if its a good one, then cheap as possible. an i mean the machine AND monitor
Posted By: TheDr Re: computer! - 13th Dec 2011 4:29pm
Okay, help me out a bit here, are we talking £50 all in, £100, £150, £200 ?

Do you need a large hard drive or would you prefer a faster processor, do you need a separate graphics card or would you prefer to spend more on a PC that you use on your big TV and save the cost of a monitor.

With a monitor do you want a 15" so you can see it, a 17" so you can use it or a 19" and blow all the budget you would have spent on the PC laugh
Posted By: ex0__ Re: computer! - 13th Dec 2011 4:41pm
Wow. You're not asking much are you? You're not going to get any kind of gaming machine if 280 was 'well out of your price range'.

I think I spent nearly double that just for a HD5970 last year.
Posted By: jpharrison Re: computer! - 13th Dec 2011 5:11pm
maybe 17? i now theres cheap monitors out there. and, as i dont know much about computers, i just want it decent enough to play games on, an surf the net an not be dead slow. thats all. i hve a netbook anyway i just wanted something to play games on.
Posted By: TheComputerLab Re: computer! - 13th Dec 2011 5:12pm
Bang on the money there ex0.

If you want to play games on this and i am not talking high end stuff like the new COD then you will need a separate graphics card full stop mate. that's 50 quid. if you want a monitor to play games on then 22 inches is nice but thats 100 minimum. then add in the rest of your components. blah blah.

champagne on fizzy wine money springs to mind!

No offense like.
Posted By: jpharrison Re: computer! - 13th Dec 2011 5:18pm
strange cos ive seen ones advertised for cheaper. £100 for a 22" monitor? get real. ive seen good ones less than that. simple. an it dont take a computer expert to figure that out.

back at ya, no offence...
Posted By: ex0__ Re: computer! - 13th Dec 2011 5:21pm
Any decent 22" gaming monitor with good response times (50000-70000:1) is going to cost you more than £100.

If you don't know anything about computers I'm not sure why you're rejecting the advice given by people that obviously do.

And by the by, £50 for a graphics card is a very conservative estimate. I'd go double if not triple that, just to play the latest games out on the lowest settings.
Posted By: jpharrison Re: computer! - 13th Dec 2011 5:25pm
listen, if all your going to do is cause an argument, then do one. im just talking here with 'thedr' who was the first recommendation anyway so im putting trust in him/her to find me something.

if he comes back saying he cant do anything in my price range then fair enough.

and fyi, im not looking for a 'gaming pc' as i know they are expensive. what i actually said was a decent pc to play games on. there is a difference.

jeez
Posted By: TheComputerLab Re: computer! - 13th Dec 2011 6:20pm
Hey mate i am genuinely not picking a slanging match here just trying to help.

A monitor that is say 20 quid on the forum is most likely going to be a VGA (4:3 800x600 res) and you will be looking for a DVI widescreen, 1650 res or higher.

It would be easier to know what type of game you are hoping to play really I suppose. do you have any in mind? if you are just looking for a browsing machine then I have an old (very old) PC you can have. I think it is an AMD Athlon 1800 or possibly a 2000. it is board chip fan ram and AGP graphics card. I think one of the ram sticks is faulty as i get that dreaded repeating beeping. no case, no psu and no hard drive.

I appreciate what ex0 is saying about spending 150 on a graphics card. i completely agree BUT that's if you are buying brand new. you can get a Nvidia 280 these days for about 35 quid, catch is you need a PSU that can handle it, a board that has PCI-e 16x that will cost you over 100. Its like a vicious circle when you upgrade one component the knock on effect to the other bits continues.
Posted By: jpharrison Re: computer! - 13th Dec 2011 6:26pm
might as well forget it. how about a decent all rounder? because people think i just was a gaming pc. when i just want a decent one to do things on. as ive said.... smirk
Posted By: TheComputerLab Re: computer! - 13th Dec 2011 6:43pm
in my opinion there is no such thing as decent all rounder. It either does something to a acceptable standard (or beyond) or it doesn't.

there have been many PC's on here recently going for between 50 to 100. like the Medion and so on. They will browse the internet exactly the same as a brand new medion will which will cost you maybe £350 THIS one but neither the brand new medion nor the second hand 50 quider will play games.

So i suppose the question is, do you want to browse the internet for £350 or for £50?

If you want to play games like COD etc then THIS one will play it quite nicely, the fact still remains though that in terms of frame rates etc and actual quality that you can genuinely notice, mine for £280 will be as good to the untrained human naked eye..

So the question there is does the consumer spend £280 for custom selected components and play COD at High Settings or do they use OEM components put together in Taiwan on a shoe string budget and pay £1300 and possibly play on very high settings but not noticeably different? for me i always custom build.

Hope this helps a little.
Posted By: jpharrison Re: computer! - 13th Dec 2011 6:53pm
ok fair enough but then id have to have the money to pay for your one. but i see where your coming from
Posted By: TheComputerLab Re: computer! - 13th Dec 2011 6:56pm
ok fair enough but then id have to have the money to pay for your one. but i see where your coming from

Then get the 50 quid one wink you will just have to keep your eyes open for one to come on the forum, they appear often!

One last thing, i always look at components with the view of how long will it be before i need to upgrade that? kind of attitude.

so think about that as i guarantee you what ever you will get you will want better as you play more and more games, its a fact of life sadly!
Posted By: Wheels Re: computer! - 13th Dec 2011 7:08pm
I bought a barebones PC last year and havent even used it.

barebones pc :£65 (new)
Harddrive :£20 (SH)
dvd drive £20 (new from the Dr)
RAM : £free from Ste

you can have it for cost if you want, its literally been built and not used. just add a keyboard and mouse and connectto your Tv.
Posted By: jpharrison Re: computer! - 13th Dec 2011 7:12pm
id prefer a set up as id want my tv free for watching it an my computer seperate
Posted By: Wheels Re: computer! - 13th Dec 2011 7:34pm
Then do what I did lol

[Linked Image]
Posted By: GrandMasterFlash Re: computer! - 13th Dec 2011 7:37pm
Haha!
Posted By: TheComputerLab Re: computer! - 13th Dec 2011 7:38pm
F**k off there is no way thats your living room! my missis would smash me if she came home one day and i did that! Funny.
Posted By: jpharrison Re: computer! - 13th Dec 2011 7:41pm
Originally Posted by TheComputerLab
F**k off there is no way thats your living room! my missis would smash me if she came home one day and i did that! Funny.

just do it and test her nerve?!
Posted By: jpharrison Re: computer! - 13th Dec 2011 7:41pm
back to the computer. ive decided just to stick to my xbox so im looking for a decent computer to surf with now
Posted By: Wheels Re: computer! - 13th Dec 2011 7:42pm
no its my back room, its 2x 40inch tv's, the living room only has 1x 42 inch smile

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TheDr Re: computer! - 13th Dec 2011 7:44pm
Okay, just in now having a quick look:

s/h 20" widescreen monitor, AOC branded with VGA input and intergrated speakers.

PC with 3.2GHz Intel Pentium 4 CPU
2GB RAM
200GB Hard Drive
DVD R/RW
USB/Firewire/Ethernet
Digital Audio in/out
GeForce NX6200TC 64MB (Supports up to 256MB) PCI Express (PCIe) DVI/VGA Video Card w/TV-Out
Running XP Home

or

Dell Inspiron 530
2.2GHz Intel Dual Core
2GB RAM
500GB Hard Drive
DVD R/RW
Running Vista Home Premium
This uses an onboard card but does have a PCI-e slot so can put a s/h one if that helps

£160 for the first setup, £175 for the second, includes keyboard/mouse
Posted By: Wheels Re: computer! - 13th Dec 2011 7:45pm
back to the computer. ive decided just to stick to my xbox so im looking for a decent computer to surf with now

that will keep the cost down then. P.s good to know you are an XBOX man rather than PS3 douche smile
Posted By: jpharrison Re: computer! - 13th Dec 2011 7:47pm
PS3 is so last year wink

DR, are they gaming ones or normal surfing ones?
Posted By: TheDr Re: computer! - 13th Dec 2011 8:07pm
A "gaming" PC usually has a high-end graphics card, LOTS of memory and the CPU is overclocked to within an inch of it's life with a cooling system that makes your cars' air-con seem like a f@rt in a hurricane.

These are perfectly fine PC's for what you appear to want to do, literally ANYTHING will "surf the net", depending how many windows you want to have open at once, and for general games these will both work well, it's the serious gamers for whom refresh rates and landscaping are important that will build a machine around twin SLi graphics cards at 100's of pounds each, you just don't need that.

I have PC's that will just "surf the net" with genuine windows installed all up and running for less than £40, I'm just trying to fit the best PC around the budget you gave.
Posted By: jpharrison Re: computer! - 13th Dec 2011 8:12pm
ive PM you anyway
Posted By: snowshoes Re: computer! - 13th Dec 2011 8:36pm
I see a lot of peeps on here genuinely trying to help you and give you a good deal. But alas nothing seems good enough.
Posted By: jpharrison Re: computer! - 13th Dec 2011 8:38pm
no its just im trying to make sure i get the right thing. i am PM'ing people too. can you not come here and have a pop? its my money, i will part with it with that software i want. unless your going to try and help, leave me be.

jesus
Posted By: ex0__ Re: computer! - 13th Dec 2011 8:49pm
Originally Posted by softshoes
I see a lot of peeps on here genuinely trying to help you and give you a good deal. But alas nothing seems good enough.

That's cause the guy is a nub. He doesn't know what he wants and won't even give a solid price. Can't help people that won't help themselves. -.-
Posted By: jpharrison Re: computer! - 13th Dec 2011 8:51pm
erm because i dont know myself thats why! jesus just fook off if your going to have a go! seriously. the threads are there for help and if you cant help an dont have anything decent to say then dont comment. seriously.
Posted By: TheComputerLab Re: computer! - 13th Dec 2011 9:11pm
If it was me I would go for pc number one from theDR. It will play simple games like pacmab etc, never gonna be able to play a modern game with an internal or shared memory graphics card.

Pc number one. High clock speed, good for office, browsing, downloading and even watching some mkv vids on. (not blu ray rips though!!)
Posted By: snowshoes Re: computer! - 13th Dec 2011 9:29pm
erm because i dont know myself thats why! jesus just fook off if your going to have a go! seriously. the threads are there for help and if you cant help an dont have anything decent to say then dont comment. seriously.

And how can you help your fellow peeps?
Posted By: ludwigvan Re: computer! - 13th Dec 2011 9:32pm
Originally Posted by softshoes

And how can you help your fellow peeps?
Charm school recommendations perhaps?
Posted By: jpharrison Re: computer! - 13th Dec 2011 11:45pm
thanks computer lab smile
© Wirral-Wikiwirral