Forums
Posted By: AndyW TOP SOIL - 29th Aug 2010 3:23am
after some top soil thanks.
Posted By: bert1 Re: TOP SOIL - 29th Aug 2010 5:02am
Try Major skips 652 3003, by Bidston tip, his add says free top soil, I'm assuming he gives it away, worth a call.
Posted By: hoseman Re: TOP SOIL - 29th Aug 2010 8:08am
Major`s top soil isnt the greatest, its full of bits, small stones, glass, etc. It is free, but he asks for a `donation` to charity (legit).
Depends on the quality you 2want.
Andy McGreals on Leasowe rd, next to Molloys garden centre, he does good soil. Can deliver it too
Posted By: bert1 Re: TOP SOIL - 29th Aug 2010 8:17am
Bits and small stone, reminds me of the time i was in the pub and a bloke came in and asked if anyone wanted free bags of manure, a little old bloke who had an allotment said "I'll have some but i don't want any shit in it" We all knew what he meant.
Posted By: AndyW Re: TOP SOIL - 3rd Sep 2010 12:36am
cheers guys will give mcgreals ago.
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: TOP SOIL - 3rd Sep 2010 6:49am
Originally Posted by hoseman
Major`s top soil isnt the greatest, its full of bits, small stones, glass, etc. It is free, but he asks for a `donation` to charity (legit).
Depends on the quality you 2want.
Andy McGreals on Leasowe rd, next to Molloys garden centre, he does good soil. Can deliver it too

Majors is free so you can't moan but I wouldn't get it from there again - still picking the bits out 12 months later - lol
Posted By: Snodvan Re: TOP SOIL - 3rd Sep 2010 8:23am
I have taken a few trailer loads from Majors to build rockeries. True, it contains quite a lot of small bits of broken brick - but it is good soil ie the plants grow well. A highly garden-oriented colleague of mine declares that for a lot of uses and on some soils the bits of brick are a bonus because they help with drainage. Living where I do in Wallasey drainage is NOT a problem - basically live on a flattened sand dune

All I did with the stuff from Majors was use it as received to build up the rockeries and garden borders and then put a smaller load of mushroom compost/ home-made compost to give a brick-free top couple of inches

Snod
Posted By: bert1 Re: TOP SOIL - 3rd Sep 2010 12:21pm
don't gardeners use these anymore

Attached picture images.jpg
© Wirral-Wikiwirral