Forums
Posted By: chris123 Wireless USB Adaptor - 17th Jun 2010 9:19pm
Has anyone got one of these for sale?

Chris
Posted By: TheDr Re: Wireless USB Adaptor - 18th Jun 2010 12:26am
Chris, they aren't an expensive item new, just be aware of the different types.

The older ones looked like Flash Drives and stuck out the side of the machine, these (very) often go broken off or even snapped the USB port on the laptop (guessing you're using a laptop, always recommend a PCI card for a tower, MUCH better signal due to a USB port only having 500mA power)

The newer type are generally "N" so faster and much thinner, only sticking out of the machine by a few mm so unlikely to snap.

You should expect to pay around £12 - £15 for one locally, less if you go online and are prepared to wait.
Posted By: chris123 Re: Wireless USB Adaptor - 18th Jun 2010 7:14am
Cheers for that
Posted By: Wheels Re: Wireless USB Adaptor - 18th Jun 2010 9:42am
I just got another pc today that I need to make wireless. Let me know were you get yours from? smile
Posted By: chris123 Re: Wireless USB Adaptor - 18th Jun 2010 6:03pm
Got one from Bigabyte but am having a hell of a game configuring it in windows 7, will not detect any networks whatever i try, used a usb one
Posted By: Wheels Re: Wireless USB Adaptor - 18th Jun 2010 6:28pm
how much? I currently have 1 on my quad core 64bit win7 pc and it works great.

strange that your having problems?
Posted By: chris123 Re: Wireless USB Adaptor - 18th Jun 2010 9:50pm
was only 12.50 or somethin. Bought a belkin one from PC world for 20 quid but that never worked so took it back and they suggested i went to bigabyte. Yeah mines quad core 64bit win 7 too. Ive tried everythin installing and uninstalling, moving the pc near the router, the lot. It just wont recognise any wireless networks (the laptop picks up loads including the neighbours) but connects fine when wired or thru my blackberry, its cable broadband. What makes yours and is it a dongle type thing or a pci card?

Chris
Posted By: chris123 Re: Wireless USB Adaptor - 18th Jun 2010 9:52pm
oh and did it come with win 7 drivers or did you have to download them tried the ones on the cd rom and downloading win 7 drivers
Posted By: Wheels Re: Wireless USB Adaptor - 18th Jun 2010 10:21pm
I got mine from Pc world. I think I just put it in and it found it's own drivers. It's the dongle type. I've just ordered one off eBay for £6.95 delivered so I'll give that a whirl.
Posted By: TheDr Re: Wireless USB Adaptor - 19th Jun 2010 12:30pm
Originally Posted by chris123
Got one from Bigabyte but am having a hell of a game configuring it in windows 7, will not detect any networks whatever i try, used a usb one

Chris, sorry about that, the Windows 7 drivers are on the website, or if you need them just call back in and we'll put them on a CD for you.

This always happens with new operating systems, luckily 7 drivers have appeared much more quickly than the Vista ones did.
Posted By: chris123 Re: Wireless USB Adaptor - 19th Jun 2010 1:11pm
Thanks for that. I've found the drivers on the website and tried installing them but they seem to be the same drivers as the ones on the disk with the stick, its driving me mad! Cheers for your help thedr appreciated
© Wirral-Wikiwirral