Forums
Posted By: Rickie_Robbo mdf sheet - 2nd Apr 2010 6:32pm
hi all. am after some mdf. any thickness really. after a sheet of it. doesnt have to be massive. its just to make a nest box for a rabbit.
Posted By: bert1 Re: mdf sheet - 2nd Apr 2010 8:08pm
MDF is not good where any moisture may be, also the resins in mdf maybe poisonous to rabbits if they chew it.
Posted By: phalinmegob Re: mdf sheet - 2nd Apr 2010 8:22pm
bert is right mate,mdf will swell up after the rabbit has peed a few times and eventually split on the edge where the boards are fixed together.
Posted By: Rickie_Robbo Re: mdf sheet - 3rd Apr 2010 11:02am
any suggestions on a wood to use ? the bottom is going to be mesh and all the sides r going to be wood. like this [Linked Image]. should i just use ply or chip board ? anyone got any of this ? lol
Posted By: kimpri Re: mdf sheet - 3rd Apr 2010 6:05pm
Originally Posted by Rickie_Robbo
any suggestions on a wood to use ? the bottom is going to be mesh and all the sides r going to be wood. like this [Linked Image]. should i just use ply or chip board ? anyone got any of this ? lol
size Rick?
Posted By: bert1 Re: mdf sheet - 3rd Apr 2010 6:51pm
The best to use is external ply rather than chipboard, chipboard has resins in it and also rots where there is moisture. External ply won't rot but has glue in it and maybe be harmful if chewed. The best timber to use is softwood, probably the safest if the rabbit chews it.
Posted By: Volly Re: mdf sheet - 4th Apr 2010 12:33pm
I make animal houses for a living ( reptile vivariums, rabbit hutches/runs e.t.c. ).

Best thing for out door rabbit enclosures is sealed ply wood.
Build it then seal it with marine/yacht varnish or something similar.

MDF/MFC will just swell and start to crumble very quickly.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral