Forums
Hey there
My mum wants to start using the internet and would rather have a laptop to use. Ideally a screen 15 inch + so it's easy to view. A second hand laptop as long as its working fine will do, does anyone have any ideas the best place to get hold of a good priced laptop. Doesn't need high specs thanks. Plus any advice on cheap internet connections via a dongle, like I said its simply for browsing the net so I'm sure there are some cheaply price laptops out there but not sure where to start. Any advice would be appreciated. smile
Hi Summer
Well just saw an emachines on the staples website which looks pretty much like yours,
http://www.staples.co.uk/technology/bargains-and-bundles/laptop-best-buys

That is £237 which is tempting, but if you want to make an offer competitive to this laptop i'd be up for that smile
Up to you anyway
Take care
TJ's are selling notebooks for £99!
Originally Posted by chris_gilly
TJ's are selling notebooks for £99!

Are really slow and only really any use for e-mail and browsing.

If that's for you then NETbooks are fine.
Slow but fine, but they normally only have up to a 12" screen.
On the dongles topic, I have "Three", Vodaphone and T-mobile dongles if you want a check you get a decent 3G signal before you buy.

If you get a "Three" signal then that's the one I would recommend. T-mobile is lumpy and temperamental, vodaphone is dearer than the rest unless you are very low usage, in which case it is possibly cheapest.

Note that it's the 3G signal you need not the 2G signal that most mobile phones use, the coverage maps don't represent reality.

I have no knowledge of O2 dongles, that was originally the one I wanted to get but everywhere ran out when they had their offer on, the map now shows me as marginal coverage anyway.
On the topic of Mobile Internet, If your in the Market for a new phone, a lot of mobile phones can now be linked uo via USB and used to access Mobile Internet, the good thing about doing it this way is that if you have Free Data Allowance with your mobile phone contract it doesnt cost you a penny.

Even on Pay as You go mobiles, I have a 3 Skype touch phone on PAYG and for every £10 top up I get 150Mb of data allowance (not much really if you plan on using this as you main connection, but enough to do the odd browse whilst on the go) but you can also buy a £5 bundle which gives you unlimited Data Allowance for 30days.

you can do exactly the same with this one, and its only £29.99, you do have to buy a £10 top up at time of sale aswell tho.
Yup mattlfc gave me the same info+ i often use my mobe as a modem!
i used to use a k800i sony erricsson when my dongle broke down smile
© Wirral-Wikiwirral