Forums
Posted By: Waddi Laptop Hard drive - 29th Nov 2008 11:38pm
Not SATA, the other type is it IDE or ATA, I dont really know.

Looking for around 60gb.

As Cheap as Possible please people

Thanks

Waddi
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Laptop Hard drive - 29th Nov 2008 11:48pm
PATA mate. I have a 60GB although its squeezed with data atm so I was'nt looking at selling it, but how much you looking to pay?

BTW, PC World do them quite cheap nowadays.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Laptop Hard drive - 30th Nov 2008 12:00am
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0735312719.1228003082@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccefadefklhefiecflgceggdhhmdgmj.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=006053&category_oid=-31457

£31.99 before the 2.13% VAT reduction which is applied upon checkout, and in stock at Birkenhead for collection.

smile
Posted By: Waddi Re: Laptop Hard drive - 30th Nov 2008 12:16am
Whats the largest capacity PATA hard drive that XP can recognise. I dont want to be buying a 120gb and it only recognising 50gb of it. That 80gb one from PC World seems alright tho. Would prefer to collect than delivery aswell. no chance of transit damage and ease of returns if anything was to go wrong.

Thanks Mate.

Might go pick that up tomorrow, unless anyone else a cheap one for sale.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Laptop Hard drive - 30th Nov 2008 1:36am
250GB. It's not Windows XP that is the limiting factor, it's the filesystem.

Both FAT32 and NTFS in Windows NT5 onwards are pretty much unlimited, within reason. The filesizes in FAT32 should be less than 4GB although this is easily worked around.

You should be using NTFS nowadays anyway.
Posted By: Waddi Re: Laptop Hard drive - 30th Nov 2008 10:11pm
Bought that Hard drive today, thanks Matty.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Laptop Hard drive - 1st Dec 2008 5:10am
No problemo matey, glad to be of help.

Tis always good to buy HDD's and the like locally, even if it ends up a few quid more than online, because of the risk of damage in transit etc... Sometime's the online deal's can't be beaten though lol.
Posted By: Waddi Re: Laptop Hard drive - 4th Dec 2008 9:16am
new hdd fitted and now my laptop is fixed, thanks again Matty.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Laptop Hard drive - 4th Dec 2008 11:19pm
Wooooo great man!! That's what I like to hear lol.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Laptop Hard drive - 7th Dec 2008 12:56am
Having more than 250 is a nightmare, I back mine up every year and it's amazing how much stuff you end up with, and how long it takes to copy everything!

I remember my 1gb hard drive cost 200 quid, and I had a 64MB mp3 player that cost 100 quid and stored a massive 10 songs!
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Laptop Hard drive - 7th Dec 2008 1:08am
Its simple, just have a bigger backup drive than your main drive. And then to perform backups, simply make an image of your main hard drive.

Im getting a 500GB SATAII drive for the laptop once the 7200rpm one's drop a bit below £100 (unless 640GB ones are out first), and at the same time (or maybe even sooner) ill be getting a 1TB external IEEE1394 drive for backup purposes.

The other way to help yourself, is to organise your files, which is easier said than done if your a lazy sod like me lol.

laugh
© Wirral-Wikiwirral