Forums
Posted By: _Ste_ Wanted: LCD Television set - 3rd May 2008 10:04pm
As stated, LCD Tv wanted

Must be proper make although i will look at others including any needing repair.

Sony, Panasonic or Toshiba ideal

Doesn`t have to have sound as its only for my Pc

Cheers thumbsup
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Wanted: LCD Television set - 3rd May 2008 10:08pm
Check Comet in Bromborough as they had some dicount ones their last week,
Posted By: AX_125 Re: Wanted: LCD Television set - 3rd May 2008 10:12pm
LG, they are a cool make, apparently they make alot of the screens for alot of others out there.

My 1080 12 month old LG 32" plays HD much better than friends tv's
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Wanted: LCD Television set - 3rd May 2008 10:17pm
Originally Posted by AX_125
LG, they are a cool make, apparently they make alot of the screens for alot of others out there.

My 1080 12 month old LG 32" plays HD much better than friends tv's

we have a Lg DVD player, 3yrs old been perfect no problems at all. good quality just without the name.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Wanted: LCD Television set - 3rd May 2008 10:21pm
Hmmm, i`ll have a look on Comet`s website.
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Wanted: LCD Television set - 4th May 2008 4:44pm
mackro are doing a sony bravo 32" for 350 + vat, my dad bought one, well good value for cash !
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Wanted: LCD Television set - 4th May 2008 5:12pm
cheers, noticed sainsburys have toshiba and sony 32" for 399 pounds, might as well buy a new one smile
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Wanted: LCD Television set - 4th May 2008 5:32pm
80% of LCD panels are Samsung; so it doesnt really matter whether you buy a cheap or expensive make, you will almost certainly get a good panel.

So dont be phased by a lower end/uknown make, and dont buy a set and pay tonnes more for a brandname.

smile
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Wanted: LCD Television set - 4th May 2008 5:59pm
Its not that mate, what it is is take for example "ebay", there are an awfull lot of broken lcd tv`s on there and they all appear to be "samsung bush lg schnider ect" think i`m best spending an extra 100 quid on a name tag given the odds wink
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Wanted: LCD Television set - 4th May 2008 6:22pm
That could be because they are more popular (given the price), or because less people buy insurance for them (the scurge of the extended warranty tends to affect those people who just go into Dixons and buy the dearest set they can find without realising the cost or worthiness).

One also has to consider the fact that is it worth getting a £259 set repaired for a cost of £150, probably not, but how about a £699 set, well you aint going to buy a new one at that price.

Both Sony's Bravia and Panasonic's Viera set's have had a history of problems.

A lot of manufacturers include 3 year warranties nowadays, I know as standard, Samsung panels themselves have a 5yr OEM warranty on them, so thier is little to lose in a manufacturer offering a good warranty.

At the end of the day, if you buy a big brand cheap, you will get an out of date and less reliable model then their flagship products (and may even end up with a lesser warranty as a result). If you buy a cheaper set with a good warranty, at least if the worst case scenario does happen, you will be sure you can send it back for repair.

To be honest, a lot of the sets that come on to eBay are actually on there due to owner error or stupidity, not properly mounting VESA mounts etc, or surging the sets etc. My "Dual" LCD actually has more features then the "LG" set, despite LG Philips being one of the better brands and costing twice as much.

smile
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Wanted: LCD Television set - 4th May 2008 6:25pm
Mind you, given the choice between a Schneider and a Panasonic set, id go for the latter too.

But given the choice between a Panasonic and a Samsung set, id go for the latter in this case.

smile
© Wirral-Wikiwirral