Forums
Posted By: Snodvan Frogspawn - 9th Apr 2008 5:11pm
I would like to collect some frogspawn to put in my (fairly small) garden pond. I have had a few frogs in the garden in the past and there is loads of cover for them to live happily there. However, I would like some frogspawn to hopefully give a big boost to the population.

I have looked in a few local ponds and in the ponds at Wirral Country Park - but nothing.
Has anyone seen any yet?
Can anyone advise where I will be able to get some in a jam jar?

Snod
Posted By: fordsteve Re: Frogspawn - 9th Apr 2008 5:39pm
will have a lok in my mums pond for you mate she over run with bloody forgs so am sure there will be some in there for you
Posted By: chiccy Re: Frogspawn - 9th Apr 2008 7:14pm
i reme,mber birkenhead park havin loads when i was a kid dunno bout now after the"cleanup" xx
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Frogspawn - 9th Apr 2008 9:04pm
I've been round the park ponds - nothing! I think the weather has been a bit cold over the last couple of weeks so spawning may be late.

Snod
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Frogspawn - 10th Apr 2008 9:42am
Best place is my dad's Fishing lake Meols the one by the Train Station i'll ask him for you snod.. smile
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Frogspawn - 10th Apr 2008 11:46am
dad had a shitload of frog spawn in his pond when i was last down there but only 2 or 3 frogs...
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Frogspawn - 10th Apr 2008 12:11pm
Yes but when were you last "down there" - given your location as Perth? Just a few frogs can make a whole load of frogspawn. I am surprised because I have not seen any in the ponds near me in Wirral. I am guessing (hoping) that I am simply not looking in the right places.

I did get a load of frogspawn a few years back and the taddies all hatched and even developed little legs. Everything reached a stage to where the little frogs were coming out of the pond at times

. . . then the *** magpies ate them!

Next time I will wire net the pond until the frogs are bigger

Snod
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Frogspawn - 10th Apr 2008 12:17pm
was down for easter so not long ago at all really

his pond is full of lillys and long grass stuff so its ideal for them, i could ask him for u if u want?
Posted By: CustomIce Re: Frogspawn - 11th Apr 2008 1:04pm
Next time i'm up at my folk's place in north wales i'll take a look in the pond, we usually end up with thousands of taddies.
If there is any i'll get you a jar full of spawn
Posted By: Davey_Martin Re: Frogspawn - 11th Apr 2008 4:32pm
asked me dad yesterday but said he hasnt got as much in the pond as he did last year
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Frogspawn - 11th Apr 2008 8:06pm
Some in a jam jar or the equivalent is all I want - or taddies if they have hatched. I read the forum often and can come collect from anywhere local

Snod
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Frogspawn - 12th Apr 2008 4:45pm
PMSL - I cleaned the pond a bit today in anticipation of having to host some frogspawn and then taddies ie left a slow stream of water flowing through it all morning and until tea time.

And when I looked - IT IS LOADED WITH TADDIES grin grin thumbsup thumbsup

Wey-hey. The frogs in the garden have obviously been busy.

They are only diddy taddies at the moment but they will grow. there is loads of food in the pond from all the vegetation that falls in & rots. I did not want to disturb that which is why I cleaned the pond with a slow stream of water - anyway, being a softie I feed them with fish food flakes.

So, thanks guys it looks as if I do not need to collect any frogspawn/ taddies - but I would still like to know places where I can collect it in case there is a disaster or to increases the gene pool of frogs in the garden next year.

Still laughing

Snod
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: Frogspawn - 12th Apr 2008 5:02pm
Glad it all worked out for you
Posted By: Mark Re: Frogspawn - 12th Apr 2008 8:36pm
Please Please don't give them names, it will end in tears lol
© Wirral-Wikiwirral