Forums
Posted By: MattLFC Wanted: Super VHS Tapes - 22nd Jan 2008 1:11am
Been using me Super VHS recorder a lot lately, and gotten quite used to using it (aint really used it in the 4 years or so that I have had it tbh cos of me Sky+ except to archive things like the 2005 champs league final etc).

Anyway, ya can't get Super VHS tapes anywhere in the shops nowadays, and atm im using a TDK XP mastering tape to record on... the quality is excellent, near-DVD quality, but the tape is designed for mastering and editing (hence £12 a tape) and will probably lose quality during repeated recording quicker than standard tapes.

So if anyone has any Super VHS standard tapes they want rid of lemme know, otherwise ill be aving to use Super VHS ET once this tape eventually wears out (although its withstood at least 8 recordings with very little loss in quality so far).

Or if anyone knows anywhere locally selling them, also let me know. Can get em on eBay and probably will eventually, but though this was worth a try in the meantime.

smile
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Wanted: Super VHS Tapes - 22nd Jan 2008 4:39pm
Not promising anything but the shop i work in has hundreads of VHS tapes in the cellar i will have a look to see if theres any SVHS tapes as they used to sell them there... They may just be VHS but i can only look and let you know.. If anyone needs VHS tapes theres hundreads the store
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Wanted: Super VHS Tapes - 22nd Jan 2008 9:22pm
Cheers matey, much appreciated!

smile
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Wanted: Super VHS Tapes - 29th Jan 2008 12:53pm
Right matty there isnt SVHS tapes but theres a load of TDK TV ones, Amstrad, JVC, SKY Branded ones but no SVHS.. Sorry.. If you want any of those then i'll ask me boss if i can buy em reduced heh!
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Wanted: Super VHS Tapes - 29th Jan 2008 1:37pm
Ah no worries fella, got a few standard VHS tapes already... modified a couple of the higher quality one's to give SVHS playback, not quite as crisp an image as the proper SVHS tapes (probably due to the fact proper SVHS tapes have much higher magnetivity) but still id guesstimate their giving around 330+ lines, which is still a decent improvement over the standard 220 lines of standard VHS.

Will do for me when my proper SVHS tape wear's out, im surprised and shocked to see that it is still recording fine after a fair amount of use, rather impressed with it considering it is really a professional mastering tape at £13 a pop lol.

I shall let ye know if I need any though fella, cheers!

thumbsup
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Wanted: Super VHS Tapes - 29th Jan 2008 1:47pm
Good good happy the best SVHS tapes ive ever used is the Scotch ones.. smile
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Wanted: Super VHS Tapes - 29th Jan 2008 1:53pm
TDK XP is what im using atm, never seen such great quality to be fair. Getting at least 380 lines from the recordings, practically recording the analogue signal as it is, and only a bit short of the digital sat signal. I think on a pro recorder they would easily achieve the full 420 lines of SVHS.

But their hellishly expensive and hard to find... unless ye pickup a bargin like me and get 4 for a tenner on eBay grin

BTW, for future reference, SuperVHS ET is... to put it bluntly, shite, it add's too much noise for my liking. It does have better definition and luminance then standard VHS, probably around the 300+ line mark, but add's little speckles to the recording. Much better to just modify the tape and use it in SVHS mode unless you really need to use the tape again with normal VHS of course lol.
Posted By: Dj Kev L Re: Wanted: Super VHS Tapes - 1st Feb 2008 12:07pm
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JVC-SV-180-SV...508QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
© Wirral-Wikiwirral