Forums
Posted By: Mark The Coinage Act - 26th Feb 2016 11:44pm
The Coinage Act
Under the Coinage Act people are allowed to refuse any payment above 20p in bronze coins as it does not strictly qualify as legal tender.

Read this users experience with a bus and its driver.

click me
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: The Coinage Act - 26th Feb 2016 11:55pm
What a tosser - I paid over a fiver in bronze the other day, the shop was made up to get the change.
Posted By: Norton Re: The Coinage Act - 27th Feb 2016 12:32am
Most small coins in circulation these days are electroplated steel without any hint of bronze (just try with a magnet).

They are perfectly legal, but they are not bronze.

Does that mean that the 20p limit doesn't apply to them or just another case of the law not catching up with technology?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: The Coinage Act - 27th Feb 2016 12:33am
Coins are legal tender throughout the United Kingdom for the following amount:

£100 - for any amount

£50 - for any amount

£20 - for any amount

£5 (Crown) - for any amount

£2 - for any amount

£1 - for any amount

50p - for any amount not exceeding £10

25p (Crown) - for any amount not exceeding £10

20p - for any amount not exceeding £10

10p - for any amount not exceeding £5

5p - for any amount not exceeding £5

2p - for any amount not exceeding 20p

1p - for any amount not exceeding 20p
Posted By: Dilly Re: The Coinage Act - 27th Feb 2016 6:45am
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
What a tosser - I paid over a fiver in bronze the other day, the shop was made up to get the change.

A tosser indeed.I would also think he has a bit of a power problem,maybe he is bullied at home by his missus.
Posted By: iyoung Re: The Coinage Act - 27th Feb 2016 6:04pm
Tosser he may be but our paying in machines don't accept more than 20p in copper at a time, and the companies don't like us paying in copper,
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: The Coinage Act - 28th Feb 2016 1:14am
I'm sure most drivers would shout down the bus and see if any other passengers could change the coins.

In true media style the problem of the machine might have been explained to the passenger but they chose to leave that out.
Posted By: Dilly Re: The Coinage Act - 28th Feb 2016 7:56am
No matter what the rules and regulations are, surely human compassion and and common decency should have kicked in with the driver. Stopping the bus and calling the police is slightly OTT. if we all played by the letter of the rules and regulations the country would come to a stop, never mind the bus..
Posted By: venice Re: The Coinage Act - 28th Feb 2016 8:45am
withthat
Posted By: iyoung Re: The Coinage Act - 28th Feb 2016 8:49am
Most drivers would yes or let them off including myself, but since when do us drivers get shown any common decency by both the public and road users,.it's always the bus driver and no one else, sit in our shoes for a week and then rethink
Posted By: venice Re: The Coinage Act - 28th Feb 2016 8:57am
Well if you dont, you should . I dont use buses very often , but to be fair, when I have , both here and in London, Ive noticed the majority of people seem to say a quick thanks as they get off which is nice.

(NB 'should' -- refers to you getting consideration, not to whether you should allow people on)
Posted By: Rambo Re: The Coinage Act - 28th Feb 2016 1:21pm
I have accepted the full £1.50 fare in copper before now, didn't even bother counting it. I'm sure there is more to this story than was reported as it seems a bit strange to me that it went as far as involving the police for the sake of 25p!
Posted By: Gibbo Re: The Coinage Act - 29th Feb 2016 2:01pm
Shame The Express doesn't know the difference between "fair" and "fare".
Posted By: ludwigvan Re: The Coinage Act - 29th Feb 2016 2:52pm
Originally Posted by Gibbo
???
Posted By: peodude Re: The Coinage Act - 29th Feb 2016 4:00pm
Originally Posted by ludwigvan
Originally Posted by Gibbo
???

After arriving at the scene a police officer kindly gave Pulley 5p from his own pocket that she needed to make up the fair.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral