Forums
Posted By: StevesmithTRFC Alleged Fake Money - 10th Mar 2014 9:14pm
I brought a phone for my son from Gumtree last week. I paid £350 for it as it was a bargain for a gold 5s 32gb.
When I brought the phone I gave the guy the money and he checked it and said it was ok he also got it checked by the taxi driver he had with him who said it was ok.

And all of a sudden he rings me today (6 days later) saying he went to put the money in the bank and they said £60 of it was fake? There is no chance that could have happened as it was the money from my wages.

I said to him that's not possible and he checked the money saying it was ok but he argued I was lying and threatened to 'smash my head in' and kidnap my son who was with me at the time of sale.

I've reported it to the police but they said they cannot do anything right now as it's not priority.

I was just wondering where do I stand on this.
Posted By: lansyp Re: Alleged Fake Money - 10th Mar 2014 9:22pm
sounds like a scam to me i would seriousley get the police involved
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Alleged Fake Money - 10th Mar 2014 9:27pm
Here is a link that may provide some help..
http://www.marymonson.co.uk/criminal-solicitors/blackmail-extortion-kidnap-threats-kill/
Posted By: Elizabeth Re: Alleged Fake Money - 10th Mar 2014 11:12pm
Did the bank take the fake money from him? As far as I know, if anyone tries to deposit fake notes, the bank has by law to take them from the person to prevent them being circulated further.
It may be a scam I don't know, but if it was me in your shoes especially faced with these threats I'd be tempted to say give me back the money (minus the £60 fake which likely he doesn't have now) and give him back the phone. I'd be very pissed off about the whole thing and being down £60, but I'd rather get this person off my back and sleep soundly.

Also, you say it was paid for with money from your wages, so I'm assuming you get paid in cash ? You could ask whoever pays you where the money was from, although you still probably won't get any satisfaction. Unfortunately with fake notes, someone is always going to be a loser frown
Posted By: Dilly Re: Alleged Fake Money - 10th Mar 2014 11:29pm
Tell him if he thinks your money is fake to report it to the police, the sound of the word police will probably give him the shivers and he will back off. Stand your ground and don't be scared by his idle threats.
Posted By: Kev30x Re: Alleged Fake Money - 10th Mar 2014 11:48pm
Dilly is right, i would also tell him that you have also reported his threats to the police and explained everything to them. You shouldn't hear back from him.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Alleged Fake Money - 11th Mar 2014 8:12am
scouser no doubt
Posted By: granny Re: Alleged Fake Money - 11th Mar 2014 8:28am
A 'death threat' is always a priority and a threat to smash your head in and kidnap , should be taken very seriously by the police.
If you do involve them don't be happy with Mr.Plodd coming to take your statement, insist on a Sergeant visiting you. You are entitled too, and that is advice given by a solicitor.
Posted By: danjaylai Re: Alleged Fake Money - 11th Mar 2014 9:59am
Get police involved.

Also, be careful he doesn't have the phone blocked.
If he originally had it on contract, there's a good chance he'd have insurance on it so nothing to stop him reporting it stolen to claim a new phone.
Posted By: muzzy2 Re: Alleged Fake Money - 11th Mar 2014 11:01am
Does he know your address, hope you didn't give it to him. Wouldn't worry if he doesn't know.
Posted By: Mark Re: Alleged Fake Money - 11th Mar 2014 11:57am
When you report it to the police they must follow up with a home visit. If not then you can go back and ask why?

I reported a incident which went in the log book, at wallasey police station. Then I had to report it again this situation and they asked did an officer follow up your log? I told them no and then i was informed they should have done frown

It may only be community police / local bobby but they should follow up any complaints made.

My advice

* Put his number on block and save any text messages.
* At the least notify gumtree as this may have happened previously.

Horrible situation to be in I hope it all turns out ok.
Posted By: StevesmithTRFC Re: Alleged Fake Money - 11th Mar 2014 2:10pm
I've reported it to the police but haven't heard anything from them
Luckily he doesn't know my address but now he's threatening to block the phone if I don't pay him
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Alleged Fake Money - 11th Mar 2014 2:41pm
Check the emei number to see if the phone is stolen anyway, if it is you could get into trouble yourself.

buying second hand phones is a no go these days unless you know the person and trust them.

you have been scammed, he is trying to scare you into handing more money over.

You pay him now and next week he will do it again.

type his phone number into google to see what else comes up, i bet he has more stuff for sale like that.
Posted By: Santos Re: Alleged Fake Money - 11th Mar 2014 3:08pm
Originally Posted by _Ste_
scouser no doubt

Thats not very nice thing to say.
Posted By: sunnyside Re: Alleged Fake Money - 11th Mar 2014 3:45pm
Originally Posted by Santos
scouser no doubt

no its not nice, we are not all the same ste.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Alleged Fake Money - 11th Mar 2014 4:15pm
Originally Posted by sunnyside
Originally Posted by Santos
scouser no doubt

no its not nice, we are not all the same ste.
i didnt say they were all the same? nor did i say anything which was not very nice?

whats happened to the chap in this thread is not very nice, please stay on topic.
Posted By: Vanmanone Re: Alleged Fake Money - 11th Mar 2014 5:54pm
Fake money is hard to detect these days .. maybe it was
Posted By: venice Re: Alleged Fake Money - 11th Mar 2014 7:47pm
I wouldnt show any animosity towards him, Id show concerned and ask which bank has verified the notes as fake and confiscated them. Id check with the bank (they have to keep records of fakes and who they took them from ) . If they verify what he said, |I would personally pay him back. True he could have taken fake notes back he got from other sources , but Id give the benefit of the doubt with someone so unpleasant , and get him out of my hair. Theres no reason for him to come back if youve paid up .
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Alleged Fake Money - 11th Mar 2014 8:13pm
I disagree with the 'cough up for peace of mind' comments.

It seems to be a scam, for sure, that only works on fear of repercussions.

Best of luck O.P
Posted By: mrhanky Re: Alleged Fake Money - 11th Mar 2014 9:16pm
a scam? on gumtree?? surely not??? wink

Posted By: russell66 Re: Alleged Fake Money - 11th Mar 2014 9:46pm
Tell him your Shaun Smiths cousin, if he doesn't know who he is, tell him to google him. LOL
He will shit his pants.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral