Forums
Posted By: Tony MK2 ROADS GET NAKED - 1st Feb 2005 2:15pm
Planners say markings make drivers less responsible
[Linked Image]
Roads are going naked in the cause of road safety. The latest wheeze by urban planners is to strip off the road markings and other paraphernalia that clutter the streets in a bid to persuade motorists to be more considerate towards pedestrians. It's an approach that has reportedly been successful in Holland, Germany and Sweden, and it's about to tried in London.

Following a trial in the Wiltshire village of Seend, the idea is that drivers are not funnelled into watching signs and markings but instead are forced use their common sense, such as making eye contact with pedestrians and being more aware of their surroundings generally.

It's the brainchild of urban planner Ben Hamilton-Baillie, who told the BBC that the removal of a psychological safety net encourages drivers to exercise caution and restraint.

It sounds very much like asking drivers to take responsibility for their actions, as urged by Safe Speed founder Paul Smith. And it's got to be better than speed humps and other alternatives.
Posted By: Mark Re: ROADS GET NAKED - 2nd Feb 2005 2:30am
No road markings ?

Most drivers assume that they have the right of way when there is no markings.

Which isnt true, no one has right of way,
when there are no markings.

If it works it works, but what's next eh?

Man with the red flag infront of your car?
For our younger members,
that's back in the 1920's lol.
Posted By: jimbo4x4 Re: ROADS GET NAKED - 2nd Feb 2005 3:15am
I'm all for it, some people may get scared of it but if they do, they shouldn't be on the roads in the first place. Plenty of roads in Wales have no markings and i totally agree that it makes drivers use their common sense more, and it makes me more aware of my surroundings.

Webby, did you have a man with a red flag running in front of your car?
Posted By: dikky5 Re: ROADS GET NAKED - 2nd Feb 2005 10:54pm
roads have markings on them. red means stop. madness. i neva knew
Posted By: Basskiddanny Re: ROADS GET NAKED - 3rd Feb 2005 12:46am
What about giveway markings etc? they want to get rid of them too??

Im not really bothered about if they remove the markings or not, shouldnt make an ounce of difference....Plus if it is an alternative to speed bumps then thats great coz i hate the ****3rs!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: ROADS GET NAKED - 3rd Feb 2005 2:00am
I can't believe thats gonna happen!
ROADS = CARS
PAVEMENTS = PEDESTIANS

"Roads are going naked in the cause of road safety."

Errrrrr think thats right, road safety.....bleh! Makes me sick that does.

I was always taught drivers had the right of way as far as the roads were concerned. Obviously not, and we will all have to drive on the pavement? LOL!

"making eye contact with pedestrians" eek Blimey! We should be keeping our eyes on the roads!

What the hell are Pelican crossings and Zebra crossings for then? :rolleyes:
Posted By: jimbo4x4 Re: ROADS GET NAKED - 3rd Feb 2005 4:06am
Originally posted by Vicky:
and we will all have to drive on the pavement? LOL!
What gave you that idea vic? All that is happening is that the white lines are gonna dissapear!
Posted By: Basskiddanny Re: ROADS GET NAKED - 3rd Feb 2005 10:14am
even the giveway ones?? They sorta tell you when other traffic has right of way....doesnt it make them quite essential?

Im not totally against the idea, but i also dont believe they are going to bother remvoing every single white line in the country, it would take too long and is a waste of money...
© Wirral-Wikiwirral