Forums
Posted By: paxvobiscum Moving into a property with a Green Deal - 31st Jan 2013 3:21pm
See website Gov.UK
Moving into a property with a Green Deal
If you move into a property with a Green Deal, the landlord or seller must show you a copy of the Energy Performance Certificate - this will explain what improvements have been made and how much you’ll need to repay.

The person who pays the electricity bill pays the money back - so if you’re a tenant in a rented property, you’ll be paying back the costs, not the landlord. This is because the tenant can expect to benefit from lower energy costs.

You can change electricity supplier, but only if the new supplier is participating in the Green Deal.

comments by paxvobiscum:
There was discussion on Radio today about this scheme that has just started. If you want to make your home more energy efficient on this scheme you initially pay £150 upfront for an assessment. If you sign up to pay back the money borrowed over twenty five years plus interest and decide to pay the loan off earlier, you will also have to pay twenty five years interest.
I would not touch it with a bargepole.

Posted By: EvilCycle Re: Moving into a property with a Green Deal - 31st Jan 2013 5:36pm
It just sounds like a scam to me, I could see the true statement going along the lines of "Let's subsidise the costs of your bill with repayments of a loan (so you are not really saving all that much anyway if anything at all, plus you get locked in with us as your supplier) then in a few years to come we can drop the scheme during one of our many rises in energy costs, maybe do a load of contract renewals for the new prices and weh hey! You are paying the same as everyone else but you also have to pay the loan back while being stuck with us as your supplier".

It's actually pretty genius, as the whole being under the guise of this making your home greener will appeal to many who want to help the envrionment.

You would be better off saving up your money to buy energy saving equipment yourself.

*realised that you can change supplier, but only if they also do this scheme. but it will still limit you, and i can bet it will be the smaller companies who are more competitive with prices that won't be running it.
I think the interest on the load is around 7%, so if you can, you may as well just borrow the money from the bank for 4/5% whatever it is these days.
Posted By: futurepast Re: Moving into a property with a Green Deal - 3rd Feb 2013 11:02pm
I can see social and private landlords going for the green scheme, they won't have to pay the loan back for any energy improvements needed, the utility bill payer will pay it back instead. Could be worth having an assessment done if you rent out property long term.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral