Forums
Posted By: devilwoman wages owed - 15th Jan 2013 6:44pm
Hi can anyone give me some advice.My son worked for a small business for nine months.He did not get any payslips as he trusted the person he worked for.Six weeks ago he was managing one of the shops <as the owner was indisposed>. Just after he had opened it up the official receiver came in and told my son to hand over the keys as they were closing the shop down.<he had all the paper work as i saw it>. my son then had to give up his flat as he had no job so no income.Anyway since then this person has reopened one of the shops stating it was all a mistake but is now refusing to answer any phone calls or texts from myself or my son.He still owes my son one weeks wages so any idea how he can get it from him? thanks in advance for any replies.
Posted By: Finney Re: wages owed - 15th Jan 2013 6:48pm
Dont ring or text the owner, just turn up at his shop and refuse to leave until the matter is resolved
Posted By: futurepast Re: wages owed - 15th Jan 2013 7:15pm
Phone the inland revenue and see if he's been paying his stamp and taxes, they might be interested in haveing this gentlemans details, also you can take him to the small claims court at very little cost to yourself the CAB will give you more advice plus the CAB have a solicitor that gives free advice.
Posted By: devilwoman Re: wages owed - 15th Jan 2013 7:28pm
Thanks for the advice looks like we will have to go down that route.Was hoping this person was decent enough to pay him.How wrong can someone be.He also wont give him a p45 so looks like he has not paid any tax either.<even though he says he has>. Will give the cab a try but not holding out much hope.
Posted By: Gold_Moon Re: wages owed - 15th Jan 2013 11:38pm
Small Claims Court is about as much use as a chocolate teapot! Their rulings against small businesses are unenforceable.

At the end of 2009, I put in a small claims case against the computer shop "Copyrite" in Seaview Road, Wallasey. My hard drive was failing and I needed a replacement. I asked the lad how much his new HD's were, and was given a hand written price list. I chose one and went to pay, but he didn't accept credit card payments, so I went to a nearby ATM and withdrew the cash.

When I got back 10 minutes later, he'd "lost" the drive I'd chosen, and after some half-assed looking around, he got me another off the shelf. I looked at the back of it and it was a different make to the one I'd chosen. I pointed this out and he said it was as good a brand. Regretably, I still went ahead with the sale.

Unfortunately, the packaging had obscured the words "refurbished"!

I paid to have it installed and got the "click of death" pretty much straight away. As I was already having problems with my PC, I assumed it must be something other than my "brand new" hard drive!

3 months went by with my PC limping and crashing, and then the HD crashed for good. I had my system checked out and it was only then I found out my new HD was actually refurbished. I took it back to the shop for a refund, to be told they only offer 3 months warranty, and I was ONE day out so I didn't qualify!

He didn't turn up to court, so judgement went in my favour and he was ordered to refund my £49. He didn't. I took legal advice and was told I could call in the bailiffs, but it'd be at my own expense, and they couldn't remove anything that might harm the creep's business. In short, it would cost me more money than I would be able to recover. If I was able to recover anything at all. No wonder he didn't bother his ass to turn up to court!

The creep has since renamed his business and moved to Liscard Road, Wallasey. I guess that's one way of dealing with all the CCJ's!

I sincerely hope your son has more success than I did in getting what he's owed!
Posted By: Mark Re: wages owed - 16th Jan 2013 12:01am
I'm sure you can apply for a P45 ?

Half a dozen lessons can be learned, from not collecting wage slips.

Was his wages paid into his bank, as that is proof in it's self. A place I worked for a while back printed it out from excel on blank paper. Apart from the embarrassment when presenting them for a mortgage they we're fine as they we're backed up with My P60.

One place I worked paid me with an official pay slip, but didn't hand my P45 in to the accountant. The tax office sent me a letter saying I owed the money. I told them I did hand in my P45 as my total could not have been calculated any other way. They said I didn't hand it in. I had to pay back £250 tax. Anyway the morals of my little story is check your pay slips. And the tax office do have safe guards triggering if something isn't right.

Ring the tax office you will find them very helpful.
Posted By: j_demo Re: wages owed - 16th Jan 2013 7:18am
devilwoman, apply cold water to burned area.
Posted By: Katryn Re: wages owed - 16th Jan 2013 11:32am
Originally Posted by futurepast
Phone the inland revenue and see if he's been paying his stamp and taxes, they might be interested in haveing this gentlemans details, also you can take him to the small claims court at very little cost to yourself the CAB will give you more advice plus the CAB have a solicitor that gives free advice.

withthat
Posted By: devilwoman Re: wages owed - 16th Jan 2013 6:20pm
thanks to all for your advice am happy to say this has now been sorted.My son has been paid and his p45 will be in the post soon.just as well as he starts his new job soon. thanks again.
Posted By: pokerchamp Re: wages owed - 16th Jan 2013 7:03pm
there is a form your son can fill in if his p45 doesn't arrive,his new employers will have it.
Posted By: devilwoman Re: wages owed - 17th Jan 2013 6:28am
Ok thanks will let him know.
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: wages owed - 17th Jan 2013 1:52pm
Originally Posted by Gold_Moon
Small Claims Court is about as much use as a chocolate teapot! Their rulings against small businesses are unenforceable.

At the end of 2009, I put in a small claims case against the computer shop "Copyrite" in Seaview Road, Wallasey. My hard drive was failing and I needed a replacement. I asked the lad how much his new HD's were, and was given a hand written price list. I chose one and went to pay, but he didn't accept credit card payments, so I went to a nearby ATM and withdrew the cash.

When I got back 10 minutes later, he'd "lost" the drive I'd chosen, and after some half-assed looking around, he got me another off the shelf. I looked at the back of it and it was a different make to the one I'd chosen. I pointed this out and he said it was as good a brand. Regretably, I still went ahead with the sale.

I paid to have it installed and got the "click of death" pretty much straight away. As I was already having problems with my PC, I assumed it must be something other than my "brand new" hard drive!

3 months went by with my PC limping and crashing, and then the HD crashed for good. I had my system checked out and it was only then I found out my new HD was actually refurbished. I took it back to the shop for a refund, to be told they only offer 3 months warranty, and I was ONE day out so I didn't qualify!

He didn't turn up to court, so judgement went in my favour and he was ordered to refund my £49. He didn't. I took legal advice and was told I could call in the bailiffs, but it'd be at my own expense, and they couldn't remove anything that might harm the creep's business. In short, it would cost me more money than I would be able to recover. If I was able to recover anything at all. No wonder he didn't bother his ass to turn up to court!

The creep has since renamed his business and moved to Liscard Road, Wallasey. I guess that's one way of dealing with all the CCJ's!

I sincerely hope your son has more success than I did in getting what he's owed!

yeah that guy is a complete and utter jerk

a few years back i ordered a gaming pc to be built, got it home and it couldn't run a simple game such as World of Warcraft, turns out he'd ripped me off on the Ram and the Graphics card , putting inferior quality parts in to those i had ordered and paid in advance for !
took 2 months for his monkey on the counter to get it sorted, this was only after threatening to call in legal action , i still had the receipt for the parts i had paid for which weren't even in the machine.

he closed down soon after this and moved to liscard rd

Since all this ive finally found a good computer shop, although i have to travel to get there going to The Doc's shop is a far better experience and would recommend people to go there
Posted By: chris123 Re: wages owed - 18th Jan 2013 8:20am
Jabber, Ive heard similar tales about this fella from friends who have used him and found him unhelpful to say the least so always avoided the place

Originally Posted by jabber
Originally Posted by Gold_Moon

yeah that guy is a complete and utter jerk

a few years back i ordered a gaming pc to be built, got it home and it couldn't run a simple game such as World of Warcraft, turns out he'd ripped me off on the Ram and the Graphics card , putting inferior quality parts in to those i had ordered and paid in advance for !
took 2 months for his monkey on the counter to get it sorted, this was only after threatening to call in legal action , i still had the receipt for the parts i had paid for which weren't even in the machine.

he closed down soon after this and moved to liscard rd

Since all this ive finally found a good computer shop, although i have to travel to get there going to The Doc's shop is a far better experience and would recommend people to go there
© Wirral-Wikiwirral