Forums
Posted By: Willo_ Item been in shop for repair for 1 year - 27th Nov 2012 11:12am
I have an item that has been in a shop for repair, its been in for slightly under a 1 year.

It still has not been fixed as they say they are waiting for parts.
They have put some new parts on it, but still waiting for more parts.

If i ask for it back how it is now, are they allowed to ask for money for work they have done so far, or can i ask them to take of parts they have fitted, and give me it back.

Every time i go into shop they give me excuse after excuse.

The item is a petrol remote control car.
Posted By: Mark Re: Item been in shop for repair for 1 year - 27th Nov 2012 11:19am
you dont say how it ended up in that shop?
Is it the shop you purchased it from?
Or is it a shop you put it in for repair?
If it was, was there any dates about how long?

Personally if it was a small shop i would ask to see the progress.
In this day and age nothing should take that long.
Posted By: granny Re: Item been in shop for repair for 1 year - 27th Nov 2012 11:44am
Why don't you ask to see it, just incase they've broken it!
Posted By: Willo_ Re: Item been in shop for repair for 1 year - 27th Nov 2012 11:49am
Originally Posted by Mark
you dont say how it ended up in that shop?
Is it the shop you purchased it from?
Or is it a shop you put it in for repair?
If it was, was there any dates about how long?

Personally if it was a small shop i would ask to see the progress.
In this day and age nothing should take that long.

I never bought it from this shop.
I just put it in this shop for repair.
They told me when i put it in 4 weeks at the max.

I will go pay the shop a visit now, and see what there excuse is now.
Posted By: Willo_ Re: Item been in shop for repair for 1 year - 27th Nov 2012 12:04pm
Just been to shop, was told same rubbish, come in on Saturday and speak to engineer.

There customer services in that shop are terrible.

I just said have it ready for me to collect on Saturday, fixed or not.
Posted By: DeanoBirko Re: Item been in shop for repair for 1 year - 27th Nov 2012 1:22pm
Make sure you get a reciept. Id get it back asap and dont wait for a repair.
Posted By: Willo_ Re: Item been in shop for repair for 1 year - 27th Nov 2012 1:23pm
Originally Posted by DeanoBirko
Make sure you get a reciept. Id get it back asap and dont wait for a repair.
I have receipt for £10 I paid when i took it in sort of a deposit for them to go ahead with work, i paid with card, however the receipt has been in my wallet for almost a year, that it has now faded.
Posted By: Lynda Re: Item been in shop for repair for 1 year - 27th Nov 2012 4:31pm
if the deposit was paid with credit or debit card BC, you should be able to get a copy of your statement and as long as the shop is named on there, they have got to accept that as proof of payment I think
Posted By: Willo_ Re: Item been in shop for repair for 1 year - 27th Nov 2012 4:46pm
When i get it back on Saturday, any one else know of a shop that does these repairs on petrol remote control cars.
Posted By: Wizzo Re: Item been in shop for repair for 1 year - 27th Nov 2012 6:13pm
This repair shop isn't in Mill Lane, Liscard is it? I took my cassette/radio there years ago, the string attached to the radio tuning knob had snapped, and it just needed replacing. I paid £10 deposit, was given no receipt, owner said he'd tape a note to the till...

When I turned up the agreed week later, he said it was "unfixable" and "What tenner?!" shocked I was with my Dad and I jogged his memory very bloody quickly, I can tell you! whippy

Having got my £10 refunded, I asked for my radio back too, and he said "It's all in bits!" So I left it... I should have told him to put it all back together again! But then I'm sure it would have been "unfixable" when I got it back. It would have deprived HIM of a free radio/cassette player though! mad
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Item been in shop for repair for 1 year - 27th Nov 2012 7:34pm
Originally Posted by Wizzo
This repair shop isn't in Mill Lane, Liscard is it? I took my cassette/radio there years ago, the string attached to the radio tuning knob had snapped, and it just needed replacing. I paid £10 deposit, was given no receipt, owner said he'd tape a note to the till...

When I turned up the agreed week later, he said it was "unfixable" and "What tenner?!" shocked I was with my Dad and I jogged his memory very bloody quickly, I can tell you! whippy

Having got my £10 refunded, I asked for my radio back too, and he said "It's all in bits!" So I left it... I should have told him to put it all back together again! But then I'm sure it would have been "unfixable" when I got it back. It would have deprived HIM of a free radio/cassette player though! mad

Same shop I spent £60 on an arcade monitor for them to have it back 3 times, they wrecked the circuit board because they can't solder properly and in the end the last straw was when I got it back the last time the lopt started smoking so I called it a day.
I would never go back there, I have since repaired 3 of my arcade monitors myself and I buy the parts on eBay.
That shop also charge for using a card.

Joke.
Posted By: ponytail Re: Item been in shop for repair for 1 year - 27th Nov 2012 7:58pm
As they have ignored you for nearly a year, tell them you want it repaired and you won't be paying for the repair as it was longer than the 4 weeks you were quoted. Also threaten to take them to Trading Standards. Advise them you will be seeking compensation for non-use of your item due to their failure to repair within a reasonable time-scale and you may ultimately go to Citizens Advice. You possibly could have them on a theft charge if you do not see your item on Saturday and inform the Police.
They will be shaking in their boots by all of the above. Good luck. You could quote you have had advice from Consumer Protection.
Posted By: saltytom Re: Item been in shop for repair for 1 year - 27th Nov 2012 8:00pm
Ah Mill lane, The Djs of wallasey could write volumes about that place items seem to vanish in the nether regions.
Put a turntable in about 1975 never seen again, my ex bought a karioki machine never seen again after it developed a fault.
Catch him in the Farmers wallsey village how can you solder after a gallon of cider or carlsberg special
Posted By: Willo_ Re: Item been in shop for repair for 1 year - 27th Nov 2012 8:07pm
Originally Posted by Wizzo

Dont know what happened to my previous post, its diassapered, no its not this shop.

Don't know if am allowed to name shop.
Posted By: Gold_Moon Re: Item been in shop for repair for 1 year - 27th Nov 2012 8:22pm
Originally Posted by saltytom
Ah Mill lane, The Djs of wallasey could write volumes about that place items seem to vanish in the nether regions.
Put a turntable in about 1975 never seen again, my ex bought a karioki machine never seen again after it developed a fault.
Catch him in the Farmers wallsey village how can you solder after a gallon of cider or carlsberg special

Yep! He's as legitimate as a £3 note, and as reliable as a glass hammer!
Posted By: torryman Re: Item been in shop for repair for 1 year - 27th Nov 2012 9:15pm
we all know who you mean just by the description of your experience ..I had a light controller repaired ...(when he found it again 3 weeks later) cost of repair £18 .00 (10 years ago) when I got it home it was exactly the same as when it went in....took it back he apologised and lent me one while he repaired mine....8 weeks later , after 4 visits I gave up and just kept the loaned one.
Posted By: Willo_ Re: Item been in shop for repair for 1 year - 27th Nov 2012 9:29pm
Originally Posted by torryman
we all know who you mean just by the description of your experience ..I had a light controller repaired ...(when he found it again 3 weeks later) cost of repair £18 .00 (10 years ago) when I got it home it was exactly the same as when it went in....took it back he apologised and lent me one while he repaired mine....8 weeks later , after 4 visits I gave up and just kept the loaned one.
Well i will be going there Saturday morning, and I will not be leaving the shop untill i get it back, and my £10 deposit.
Posted By: Willo_ Re: Item been in shop for repair for 1 year - 29th Nov 2012 11:52am
They have just phoned me (as i slagged them of on there forum) they now admit they can not get the parts, and i can collect it, but i wont be getting deposit back as its non refundable, as it covers work they have done, (err excuse me, they have done no work as they can not get the parts)

Posted By: ITbear Re: Item been in shop for repair for 1 year - 29th Nov 2012 2:20pm
Id just mention trading standards to them when u go to pick it up.
you have been with out your property for a year, when they could of told you that they couldnt get the parts soon after you droped it in to them.

They have just been to lazy to tell you they couldnt do it.
just give it a go n see what happens.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral