Forums
Posted By: free_spirit Employment rights, unsociable hours? - 6th Nov 2012 7:40am
hi
does anyone know anything about working unsociable hours?
as in supposed to work till 8pm but lucky if allowed to leave before 11pm?

thanks in advance
Posted By: Salmon Re: Employment rights, unsociable hours? - 6th Nov 2012 9:28am
I am fairly sure this has been debated before on the Wiki and I believe it all depends on your contract. As always in these cases it is always best to start off by discussing it with your immediate supervisor and take it from there depending on the response.
Posted By: free_spirit Re: Employment rights, unsociable hours? - 6th Nov 2012 10:52am
thanks for reply,
we have tried that and they say you'll leave when we say you can leave!
so basically each night is forced almost 3 hour overtime...
no win situation..
Posted By: Salmon Re: Employment rights, unsociable hours? - 6th Nov 2012 11:01am
In that case you need to see what it says on your contract and if you are really not happy and not getting paid for the extra hours then a word with citizens advice bureau may be beneficial.Problem is as we all know times are not good for antagonising employers but still no reason for you to be trodden all over.We have moved on from 1871.
Posted By: rossie Re: Employment rights, unsociable hours? - 6th Nov 2012 2:06pm
Are you a nurse or hca as they all seem to be obliged to work in excess of contract times. Otherwise speak to acas or your union. If you are salaried as opposed to hourly rates the law is complicated. Although working time regulations apply.good luck
Posted By: philmch Re: Employment rights, unsociable hours? - 6th Nov 2012 4:10pm
If you are only contracted to work until 8pm then leave at 8pm on the dot.

You are under no obligation to do free or extra work in your own time.
Posted By: Salmon Re: Employment rights, unsociable hours? - 6th Nov 2012 6:03pm
I think it would be a very unusual contract which did not cover "unexpected" overtime in some way.
Posted By: free_spirit Re: Employment rights, unsociable hours? - 9th Nov 2012 1:42pm
we do get paid till we leave..but almost 3 hours late every shift is a bit annoying tbh...

maybe just see how it goes, if gets any better...

thanks for replies
Posted By: Zelda2012 Re: Employment rights, unsociable hours? - 11th Nov 2012 7:02pm
if your contracted hours are till 8pm the go home.they cannot make you stay longer unless you agreed to do overtime.

They cannot force you to stay it is against the law.

what are your contracted hours and what time do you start and finish work each day
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Employment rights, unsociable hours? - 12th Nov 2012 2:00am
Be flexible.
My boss is amazing.

I work all the time but when I got to have days off I get them, you do a favour you get one back, now get to work wink
Posted By: ponytail Re: Employment rights, unsociable hours? - 12th Nov 2012 12:57pm
Ask your employer to re-write your contract. I don't know your situation but if you are part-time and working all the extra hours that make up to the equivalent of a full-time job, then you should have all the full-time benefits of this e.g. all holiday and sick-pay entitlements. Also check your payslips to make sure you are paying your contributions.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral