Forums
Posted By: lau2908 Cash machine robbed me help? - 29th Apr 2012 7:42pm
today i went to the atm at king street garage, put my card in the machine an selected to withdraw £250, so after a minute it pops the card out then says thank you on screen, didn't give me a penny.

so i then check internet banking and couldn't believe it actually took the £250 out of my account!

I phoned the atm company an they said i have to sort it out with the bank.

Where on earth do i stand on this matter? and has this happened to any one else?

thanks in advance
Posted By: j_demo Re: Cash machine robbed me help? - 29th Apr 2012 7:55pm
best you can do is make a claim with your bank, and give them the make/name of the cash machine and where it is, they'll then chase it up with the company or whoever checks the money in it, and if it's got £250 more money then it should have when they come to balance it next then you'll get a refund, otherwise nothing can be done and you've lost £250

i've had an extremely similar experience with the santander cashpoint in birkenhead and i only got £10 out but it didn't give me it, so i went in to santander, they told me it had to come via my actual bank so i went 20 seconds to the HSBC one and made the claim there, and then 2 days later i got a phonecall saying that santander balanced their machine, had an extra £10 in it so i got my money 'back'

so is the one @ the garage owned by a particular branch ie natwest/barclays?? if so, go to your bank tomorrow, say that the cash withdrawal didnt give you money, they should have the code for that particular machine on your account summary and then get in touch with it's "owners" and they will do the paperwork all without your knowledge and then your bank will get in touch with you.

just hope for the best.

but if it's a 3rd party link machine thing then whoever balances it might find that £250 had dropped out or whatever and pocket it, and then you'll be screwed...

hope for the best for you though!
Posted By: Tony_1985 Re: Cash machine robbed me help? - 29th Apr 2012 8:55pm
report the machine make/model, its location and any serial/reference numbers to your bank

they should be able to deal with it for you

the machine should also have the suppliers name and phone number on it

make sure you report it to them too, so both parties have copies of the report

it MAY also be refunded to your bank automatically in the next couple of days.
i know when our cash machine where i work does this, it will refund they money itself
Posted By: lau2908 Re: Cash machine robbed me help? - 29th Apr 2012 9:01pm
Thanks for your advice guys, fingers crossed hey, i do have a ref number from the company who owns the cash machine so with a bit of luck i will be ok

will pop into the bank tomorrow and see what they say

Posted By: Sanchez Re: Cash machine robbed me help? - 29th Apr 2012 10:02pm
happended to me not so long back, it was recredited straight away.
Posted By: rover644 Re: Cash machine robbed me help? - 29th Apr 2012 11:21pm
This happened to me, Bank said it could take upto four weeks to be refunded, only took a couple of days.
Posted By: delta6 Re: Cash machine robbed me help? - 30th Apr 2012 7:13am
just make sure the machine has not been tampered with in any way.
eg, false fronts on it. the "trap" method is used by a lot of thieves.

dont want to alarm you but its best you get it soreted ASAP.

see this story:
PEOPLE have been warned about using cash machines in Daventry after a number of incidents in Daventry.

Criminals have been using cash traps where fraudsters stick a device over the slot where the money comes out. The person using the machine waits for the cash which never comes. They then take their card, leave the cashpoint and report the matter to the bank.

The money has been handed out but is stuck to the back of the trap which is removed by the fraudster who pockets the cash. There have also been similar incidents in Northampton.

PC Julia McLeod, of Northampton Safer Community Team, said: “Several incidents of this nature have been reported to us, mainly in the Northampton and Daventry areas.

“This fraud is becoming a national problem and we would ask anyone using cashpoints to check the machine they are using and to be aware of their surroundings.

“The device is neat and cleverly constructed and has netted the criminals quite a bit of cash in recent weeks.

“If you have any concerns about the cashpoint that you are using, move away and use another one.”

Anyone with information about the incident or has been a victim is asked to contact police on 101 or call the relevant bank.

Posted By: Magicmel Re: Cash machine robbed me help? - 30th Apr 2012 12:25pm
there where issues with the garage on leasowe road a couple of years ago. the same group own the garage on King street. Hopefully the bank will sort this, but it may be worth while contacting the police. Had u recently used the card inside the shop at the garage at anytime
Posted By: TheDr Re: Cash machine robbed me help? - 30th Apr 2012 12:50pm
Tampering with cash machines is becoming more common, police in major cities are aware of this and regularly catch the organised gangs that target the cashpoints, but only if they are made aware of a problem with he machine.

It may be completely innoccent, I know when we had a cash machine in our place it had to be filled every morning (insurance won't cover you if you have a free standing machine with cash left in it overnight) and some days once it was loaded if you had a lot of large withdrawals the machine would empty. You're MEANT to tell the machine how much you've put in it so this doesn't happen, but it takes time and a lot of places don't bother, so it try's to pay out cash not held in the machine.

These machines usually do their "end of day" when the shop closes (no one forgets this, as it's how you get paid) so it sorts out any cash reconciliation then, and recredits or removes the hold on any funds overnight.
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Cash machine robbed me help? - 30th Apr 2012 1:54pm
Originally Posted by Magicmel
there where issues with the garage on leasowe road a couple of years ago. the same group own the garage on King street. Hopefully the bank will sort this, but it may be worth while contacting the police. Had u recently used the card inside the shop at the garage at anytime

I remember this. Their card scanner was replaced with a version that had hacked hardware and sent cc details & pin to a third party. Previous to this there was a load where the details would be saved on a chip inside the scanner itself and then the criminals have to retrieve the scanner. Technology progressing I guess. I remember someone set up a facebook group where like 3000 locals instantly presumed everyone working at the garage was guilty because they weren't white. /rollseyes.

We're moving towards RFID cards now, can literally walk along the street with a scanner coded correctly and pick up card info.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Cash machine robbed me help? - 30th Apr 2012 3:20pm
RFID Blocking Wallets are cheap enough. A Faraday cage for your cards !!
Posted By: arwen444 Re: Cash machine robbed me help? - 30th Apr 2012 10:00pm
dont use a card in any garage specially this one. had my card cloned there! five hundred quid
Posted By: MikeT Re: Cash machine robbed me help? - 1st May 2012 10:18am
Originally Posted by lau2908
today i went to the atm at king street garage

The one and only time I filled up there, some scumbag cut the fuel line on the car the same night and stole some petrol, and left the rest to p*ss out over the road. 40 quid's worth. Too much of a coincidence for my liking. I reckon I got followed home from the garage. Not been back since.
Posted By: delta6 Re: Cash machine robbed me help? - 1st May 2012 10:34am
any update on this laura?
Posted By: lau2908 Re: Cash machine robbed me help? - 1st May 2012 12:51pm
i don't actually use my card inside any garage to be honest since all that hassle people had a year or two back.

Tbh I normally only ever use "proper" cash machines i.e. natwest, hsbc etc

So yeah I went into Natwest and told them what had happened, they have put a request in so they said I "should" have it back in a few days. They also mentioned this is not the first time they have heard of this from the same cash point, so seems its happened to a few people.

Still pretty annoyed , its my money but I have to wait for it, doesn't seem fair but with everything these days things always seem to be dragged out.

So with a bit of luck I will see it back in my account by the end of the week although at the moment I am not holding my breath, I will however take this further if I get no where.

Will keep you all posted and thanks for all the replies
Posted By: WallaseyHead Re: Cash machine robbed me help? - 1st May 2012 1:29pm

Still pretty annoyed , its my money but I have to wait for it, doesn't seem fair but with everything these days things always seem to be dragged out.

They can't just hand out cash to anyone who comes in claiming a cash point has 'robbed' them.

They need to look at the cash machine, see how much has been withdrawn and check it matches up with how much if left in the machine. If it does then you were trying it on.

If it doesn't then the story makes sense and you'll be reimbursed.

On behalf of banks everywhere, I'm sorry to hear this has happened but you also need to take it from their point of view, the right end up come.
Posted By: lau2908 Re: Cash machine robbed me help? - 1st May 2012 1:33pm
lol obviously i know they need to check it all but I've read it can takes months which is plain lazy because all they need to do is check the cash machine at close of business an then tally it up
Posted By: WallaseyHead Re: Cash machine robbed me help? - 1st May 2012 2:23pm
lol obviously i know they need to check it all but I've read it can takes months which is plain lazy because all they need to do is check the cash machine at close of business an then tally it up

There are over 50,000 cash machines in the UK and they don't (can't possibly) all get checked at the end of each day, nor do they get filled up. You also said yourself that this seems to happen a fair bit.

Further to this, a normal member of staff can't just open up the cash point and flick through the remaining cash to check out an anomaly, especially when you consider that a cash machine can hold up to £250,000! It's certainly not laziness wink
Posted By: pokerchamp Re: Cash machine robbed me help? - 1st May 2012 2:36pm
i had this happen to me once and it only took about 10 days to sort out,the banks are quick enough to throw charges at people if they dont have funds in for direct debits so i think its only right that the people who bank with these banks should be able to charge the banks daily until they resolve the matter!!!then they might pull their fingers out!!
Posted By: lau2908 Re: Cash machine robbed me help? - 1st May 2012 4:21pm
Originally Posted by WallaseyHead

There are over 50,000 cash machines in the UK and they don't (can't possibly) all get checked at the end of each day, nor do they get filled up. You also said yourself that this seems to happen a fair bit.

Further to this, a normal member of staff can't just open up the cash point and flick through the remaining cash to check out an anomaly, especially when you consider that a cash machine can hold up to £250,000! It's certainly not laziness wink

As i previously stated it is lazy , it does not take MONTHS to do it when in some cases thats how long they have waited. If it takes a few days thats fine but i refuse to see why me or anyone else in the same situation should wait months.

We will see what happens
Posted By: WallaseyHead Re: Cash machine robbed me help? - 1st May 2012 11:05pm

As i previously stated it is lazy , it does not take MONTHS to do it when in some cases thats how long they have waited. If it takes a few days thats fine but i refuse to see why me or anyone else in the same situation should wait months.

We will see what happens

Oh, I bow to your greater knowledge of banking then.

Kind regards,
Regional Senior Manager for one of the largest banks in the world.
Posted By: lau2908 Re: Cash machine robbed me help? - 2nd May 2012 12:36am
you could be god for all I care, your opinion would still mean nothing

pls k tnx xoxox
Posted By: lau2908 Re: Cash machine robbed me help? - 2nd May 2012 12:39am

We will see what happens

Kind regards,
One of the little people for one of the largest banks in the world.

More like it smile
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Cash machine robbed me help? - 2nd May 2012 7:07am
LMFAO raftl
Posted By: chriskay Re: Cash machine robbed me help? - 2nd May 2012 7:56am

Regional Senior Manager for one of the largest banks in the world.

Wow, you're brave to admit to that. grin
Posted By: delta6 Re: Cash machine robbed me help? - 2nd May 2012 8:19am
theyve probably put your money towards a big fat bonus for one of their executives even though that executive failed miserably at their job!!
Posted By: WallaseyHead Re: Cash machine robbed me help? - 2nd May 2012 10:16am

We will see what happens

Kind regards,
One of the little people for one of the largest banks in the world.

More like it smile

Laugh all you like, I'm not the one having an induced orgasm over £250.

<Snore>
Posted By: lau2908 Re: Cash machine robbed me help? - 2nd May 2012 10:50am
Really? I thought i was actually pretty calm for me, not once did i moan and say i NEED the money did i , No I didnt it was more the principle of it.

Now what you still doing here think theres some tea & biscuits to be made, chop chop!
Posted By: gypsyjune Re: Cash machine robbed me help? - 2nd May 2012 11:39am
Although there is 50.000 cash machines ,and they can`t possibly check them all ,why woulsd they when you know the one used and the time you used it would that not narrow things down a little bit rocket science lol Lau i hope you get your money back soon
Posted By: lau2908 Re: Cash machine robbed me help? - 2nd May 2012 11:47am
Originally Posted by gypsyjune
Although there is 50.000 cash machines ,and they can`t possibly check them all ,why woulsd they when you know the one used and the time you used it would that not narrow things down a little bit rocket science lol Lau i hope you get your money back soon

Exactly!

Thanks hun smile

will post soon as I have news
Posted By: WallaseyHead Re: Cash machine robbed me help? - 2nd May 2012 2:46pm

Erm, because she's not the only one who is claiming to have lost money?

Trust me, there's at least one a day for each and every cash machine.

But thanks anyway, gypsy.

Posted By: WallaseyHead Re: Cash machine robbed me help? - 2nd May 2012 2:47pm

Exactly!

Thanks hun smile

will post soon as I have news

Good luck, truly. These things are sorted out eventually and you'll be happy.

It's a small issue in the world of banking.
Posted By: rentaclown100 Re: Cash machine robbed me help? - 2nd May 2012 10:06pm
i hate banking, they say it makes you go blind
Posted By: WallaseyHead Re: Cash machine robbed me help? - 3rd May 2012 4:50am
Figures.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral