Forums
What should be done about the following matter.

My two adult children live in the house we own in Wirral.
At least three times in the last 6 months the police have called round asking if a young girl (I won't give the name) lives there. Both times either my daughter or son have said no and there has never been a person or family with that surname living there.
Letters have come to the house from I believe the Wirral Children's services addressed to this unknown individual, to which my daughter crosses out the name and address and writes on the envelope 'return to sender, not known here'.

Today another individual called (not the police, but I'm not sure who) and asked once more for this unknown female, stating she was a missing child. What bothers me is, 1. who is this person? 2. Why do the authorities have our address for her, and why did she provide it to someone at some point? 3. Why, when you constantly tell police or counselors that she has never lived there do they still come to the house asking if she's there or have you seen her? Now I know there is a road on Wirral with the exact same name but with a different post code, ( which I think is daft that there are roads with the same name in such a small area)
What concerns me is that if this missing person has given our address to others who may not be 'nice', if they come to the house and demand to know where she is or worse, become violent.
How can we put an end to this? Any ideas?
You could try googling Bromborough's local police team. There will be an inspector in charge of it. They regularly mention themselves in the local newspapers as offering a service - like getting their smiling faces in the paper. Although i must admit i think I've only ever seen three helmet wearing bobbies walking past my front door in the past 10 years. Might be exaggerating on that number - maybe two. One of your children should phone him and ask what is going on. He or she is the person who just might get to the bottom of it for you. Certainly worth giving the team a call. Good luck.
google your MP and make an appointment to see him/her at their next local surgery. They should help.
... I'd just leave it.

Your kids have already done what could reasonably be expected of them.
you can actually insist that you go to court and swear on oath that the person does not and has not lived at your address,i know somebody who had to do this some time ago because the police and baliffs were looking for somebody who my friend had never heard of!!hope this helps.
You used to be able to get half hour free legal advice by making an appointment with a Solicitor through your local citizens advice bureau,though I am not up to date on this.

Does it show on the Register of Electors who lives at your house, a copy of entry might be useful?
The first thing to do is to open the letters and write back (you can use the same letter to all the people who write) advising that Ms Bloggs does not live there and that Mr Smith (your name) has been the resident since whenever.

The address should then be removed from the records of whoever wrote.

The problem with writing 'not at this address' on the envelope is that even people who are there write this when trying to avoid stuff! So authorities do not take any notice.

Do it the other way and you have provided the proof that the person writing will need.
i get letters for people who dont live at mine and never have, iv had bank letters with all personal details that iv given back to the bank and told them they could have fell into the wrong hands and iv had debt collectors call and all iv had to do is show them my council tax letter proving who i am and thats enough, so try not to worry too much
Originally Posted by markjw
The first thing to do is to open the letters and write back
Its usually illegal to open it if it is not addressed to you unless you have permission.

Section 84 of the Postal Services Act 2000.

"A person commits an offence if, intending to act to a person’s detriment and without reasonable excuse, he opens a postal packet which he knows or reasonably suspects has been incorrectly delivered to him."

If the envelope has a return address you have no cause to open it.
Thats what i did when i got letters addressed here RTS i didnt open them.
They catch up with them.as they can trace them.Not unless they move abroad.
Bailifs, doorstep debt collectors, they catch up.
Thanks for all the answers, I'll pass on the possible solutions to my son and daughter and they can take it from here smile
Hi Elizabeth,
we nice wiki peeps are happy to help x
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
Section 84 of the Postal Services Act 2000.

"A person commits an offence if, intending to act to a person’s detriment and without reasonable excuse, he opens a postal packet which he knows or reasonably suspects has been incorrectly delivered to him."

... So what you're saying is it doesn't apply in this situation?
What with them not intending to act to anyones detriment, having a reasonable excuse, and the address stating the address they live at? C'mon.
Thats just darn creepy elizabeth, hope they can get to the bottom of it and sort it out.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral