Forums
Posted By: carbooter beware this email scam - 6th Mar 2012 12:38pm
Most of us are aware of he regular email scams from the manager of a bank in some part of africa saying there is $450,000 waitng to be claimed etc etc etc and all we have to do is give our bank details for deposits to be made etc, and we ignore them, but this latest one might, for some people, have the ring of truth about it BEWARE

I received this email a short time

My wife and I won the Biggest Euro Millions Lottery Jackpot of £101,203,600.70 GBP and we have commenced our 2012 Cash/Charity Donation programme as we will be donating the sum of 1,500,000.00 Pounds to you and your family. please visit the web link below to confirm; ( http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopi...and-family.html ) Kindly send us the below details so that we can direct our Bank can effect a valid Bank Draft in your name to your operational bank account in your country Full Name: Country: Age: Occupation: Sex:male Mobile/Tel: Dave & Angela Dawes.

For information purposes Dave and Angela Dawes did in fact win that amount of money last year and they did immediately make their best friend a millionaire, but this email is just another scam aimed at getting bank details so PLEASE PLEASE ignore it
Posted By: Clive Re: beware this email scam - 6th Mar 2012 1:03pm
Dam..... I give them my bank details aswell, does this mean I won't get any thing.
Posted By: carbooter Re: beware this email scam - 6th Mar 2012 1:06pm
come on willo some people might be taken in by it becuase the couple named did in fact win all at money last yeear
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: beware this email scam - 6th Mar 2012 1:27pm
bollocks, only dreamers would be takin in by such nonsence no
Posted By: ex0__ Re: beware this email scam - 6th Mar 2012 1:30pm
People that post these warnings here need an instant permaban.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: beware this email scam - 6th Mar 2012 1:32pm
Originally Posted by ex0__
People that post these warnings here need an instant permaban.

withthat

Sorry, have to agree.
Posted By: carbooter Re: beware this email scam - 6th Mar 2012 2:54pm
ok so I am thick so much for trying to help
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: beware this email scam - 6th Mar 2012 3:07pm
cb, take no notice and don't bite, they feed on it like carrion crows.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: beware this email scam - 6th Mar 2012 3:09pm
Originally Posted by carbooter
ok so I am thick so much for trying to help

nobody is calling you thick carbooter, maybe you are new to this, this has been going on for many years.

The loot newspaper being the worst for it, idiots phoning and wanting to put £4000 in your bank to pay for a £1200 car, it doesn`t take a rocket scientist to spot a scam.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: beware this email scam - 6th Mar 2012 3:11pm
Originally Posted by BandyCoot
cb, take no notice and don't bite, they feed on it like carrion crows.
Thats not nice bandy frown
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: beware this email scam - 6th Mar 2012 3:19pm
Just giving the lad a friendly tip Ste, keeping the peace so to speak.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: beware this email scam - 6th Mar 2012 7:40pm
I find it amusing people who do fall for these scams. Not only are they incredibly stupid, but they fall for them due to nothing but self-greed and not wanting to do an honest days work for an honest days pay (or actually bothering to play the lottery themselves). Something such as this has to be illegal, one way or another.

It's a dog eat dog world, survival of the fittest. People should not be made aware of these "scams", if they are stupid/greedy enough to fall for them, they learn a far better lesson in life afterwards.

If something seems too good to be true...
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: beware this email scam - 6th Mar 2012 9:13pm
Myself and the missus heard a bloke talking to our OAP neighbour and telling him that he could give him an estimate on the work required to fix his roof. Heard the neighbour telling him that he would get his own builder to sort it. When I asked the neighbour, today, what had happened he said that the bloke knocked on his door after noticing that there was a problem on his roof, got his ladder off the white van, put it up, climbed it, lifted up a ridge tile and said he could fix it, at a price. After I'd heard the neighbour saying "nay" he did indeed get his usual builder in to have a look at it and the builder told him that the cheeky b......d had lifted the ridge tile himself, there was nothing wrong with it up until then. Now do old folk need warning that these scrotes are doing the rounds at the moment or do you just leave them to their own devices to be scammed? Luckily our man is pretty savvy for his age, other poor buggers are not so lucky, they used to be sharp but they are not any more. Just a coincidence about who gets caught by scammers, not everyone has the same mental capacity. Think on.
Posted By: carbooter Re: beware this email scam - 6th Mar 2012 9:21pm
seems Ihave invited the sort of comments I have received..the only reason I mentioned it was because the couple named did genuinely give away a million pounds to a friend as soon as they cashed the cheque and that people who had read that sort of pulicity might have been duped that the supposed couple were intent on helping other people
Posted By: ex0__ Re: beware this email scam - 6th Mar 2012 9:33pm
Anyone that would fall for something like that is a moron and deserves to be ripped off.

Bandy that's a bad example. Apples to oranges, people gullible enough to fall for something like this shouldn't be allowed to have internet connections.

And this isn't local news.
Posted By: carbooter Re: beware this email scam - 6th Mar 2012 9:54pm
I thnk it is unfair categrizing everyone who might be suckered in as a moron.....dont forget there are many lonely people in this world who might rely on the internet and the like for compamy and who might have believed bcaues of he fact that tthe names mentioned were genuine winners of all that money that they did indeed want to help other people..not everyone is able to sort the wheat from the chaff but that does not make them morons
Posted By: MattLFC Re: beware this email scam - 6th Mar 2012 9:56pm
Anyone that would fall for something like that is a moron and deserves to be ripped off.

withthat

It all boils down to greed and stupidity with all these types of scams. Serves them right.
Posted By: ex0__ Re: beware this email scam - 6th Mar 2012 10:07pm
not everyone is able to sort the wheat from the chaff but that does not make them morons

I beg to differ (and I think you'll find I'm not the only one). Anyone answering questions like this to an anon email deserves everything they get.
Posted By: Gold_Moon Re: beware this email scam - 6th Mar 2012 10:24pm
I would warn people even if they ARE greedy and stupid. Mainly because scammers/confidence tricksers are amoral scumbags who don't deserve to be rewarded with lots of money just for being willing to steal from others.

And to MattLFC...

Originally Posted by MattLFC

It's a dog eat dog world, survival of the fittest.

Didn't Hitler have the same view?
Posted By: chriskay Re: beware this email scam - 6th Mar 2012 10:46pm

I beg to differ (and I think you'll find I'm not the only one). Anyone answering questions like this to an anon email deserves everything they get.

Wrong; don't be so arrogant. As Bandy pointed out, some folk are not as alert as they used to be. You'd just better hope that you don't lose your faculties in your old age.
Posted By: ex0__ Re: beware this email scam - 6th Mar 2012 10:53pm
Which bit of it did you think was wrong? smile
Posted By: chriskay Re: beware this email scam - 6th Mar 2012 11:02pm
The whole premise.
Posted By: ex0__ Re: beware this email scam - 6th Mar 2012 11:03pm
Weird, I didn't know an opinion could be wrong.
Posted By: chriskay Re: beware this email scam - 6th Mar 2012 11:14pm
You are, of course, entitled to you opinion. It was Hitler's opinion that the Jewish race should be exterminated. I was, however, referring not to your opinion but to the premise of the final sentence.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: beware this email scam - 7th Mar 2012 12:52am
Originally Posted by Gold_Moon
Didn't Hitler have the same view?

Not entirely sure what you're point is with regards that??

Darwin thought of part of it first; also Hitler held the view that smoking was bad thanks to Nazi research into the health effects of it (long before any of the Allied countries had a clue), does that make it somehow any less true?

smile
Posted By: MattLFC Re: beware this email scam - 7th Mar 2012 1:00am
Originally Posted by chriskay
You are, of course, entitled to you opinion. It was Hitler's opinion that the Jewish race should be exterminated. I was, however, referring not to your opinion but to the premise of the final sentence.

Chris, is it not fair to say that the perpetrators of this crime (and let's not forget, it is a crime, and anyone doing it, should be punished to the full extent of the law), are praying on somebodies stupidity, greed and ignorance?

Now there are undoubtedly some victims who are vulnerable (mental issues, elderly who maybe less aware of what's going on etc), and I know I'm not, and I doubt ex0 is saying these people deserve it.

But there are plenty of people who lead normal lives, supposedly have the intelligence to hold down jobs and savvy enough to make good use of the internet etc, generally "normal" (if you can use that word) people who get stung for it. These people are surely only being taken for a ride due to greed and possibly ignorance.

The fact is, people still fall for these scams, even though they have been happening for 15 years now, and are regularly highlighted on the internet, forums, television, library posters, newspapers, radio etc... most people have heard about them, but still choose to go ahead and send their bank and credit card details to Mr. Mbeki in Nigeria.

As a judge would say, ignorance is no excuse.

At the root of most of these scams, is greed (on both parts). If you are greedy enough (and stupid enough) to get scammed, to think somebody will give you £1million for doing sod-all, and having no actual reason to do so, via a dodgy email from an anonymous or unknown source, then you deserve to be scammed, just as much as the scammers deserve to be locked up.
Posted By: Gold_Moon Re: beware this email scam - 7th Mar 2012 2:51am
Not entirely sure what you're point is with regards that??

My point is that the "survival of the fittest" attitude has no place in any civilized society. Otherwise we'd be euthanising the disabled, the elderly and mentally ill, etc. Like Hitler did.

What we endeavour to do instead is help them, protect them and support them. And it's absolutely right that we do so.

Your comments, (and ex0's,) seem to condone, and even endorse, these scams, and it bothers me that the victims of this type of crime are viewed with more contempt than the criminals are!

It shouldn't matter if they ARE greedy or lazy... the scammers are always a whole lot greedier and lazier!
Posted By: MattLFC Re: beware this email scam - 7th Mar 2012 3:02am
I love the fact that as well as "survival of the fittest" having no place, it seems there is no place for common sense in the modern world.

Now there are undoubtedly some victims who are vulnerable (mental issues, elderly who maybe less aware of what's going on etc), and I know I'm not, and I doubt ex0 is saying these people deserve it.

Nobody for one minute has suggested euthanising vulnerable people, or even moving towards eugenics etc... And I pass no blame onto those who are vulnerable and fall victim to these scams. And my personal opinion is there is a place for survival of the fittest in this world, so long as all is fair and nobody loses a bollock.

Originally Posted by Gold_Moon
Your comments, (and ex0's,) seem to condone, and even endorse, these scams

That's news to me;

and let's not forget, it is a crime, and anyone doing it, should be punished to the full extent of the law

<snip>

the scammers deserve to be locked up.

It appears you are bringing in irrelevant nonsense to suit your own agenda. Instead of trying to doctor the discussion, can you please read the previous posts properly first, instead of scanning over them and posting quick-fire reaction that makes no sense.
Posted By: carbooter Re: beware this email scam - 7th Mar 2012 8:17am
as this appears to be getting away from my original intention in highlighting a diffeernt type of scam becaues of the names and the immediate charitable reaction of the winners of sll this money mightnit not now be an idea to dfraw a line undder the topic..I dont want people falling out..the idea of the post in the firts place was to inform
Posted By: ex0__ Re: beware this email scam - 7th Mar 2012 8:44am
This isn't a different type of scam.

It's a random anon email address sending you a badly worded and formatted email asking for your details. The contents of the message are irrelevant. It's the same scam that people have been falling for since the birth of the intertubes.
Posted By: carbooter Re: beware this email scam - 7th Mar 2012 10:15am
exO

why do you have to post aggressively...ok so I am not the best at explaining excatly what I mean but here is no reaspon to be beligerent
Posted By: ex0__ Re: beware this email scam - 7th Mar 2012 10:47am
That wasn't me posting aggressively or belligerently. If I was you would know.

This is more resigned annoyance than anything else.
Posted By: ludwigvan Re: beware this email scam - 7th Mar 2012 10:56am
exO

why do you have to post aggressively...ok so I am not the best at explaining excatly what I mean but here is no reaspon to be beligerent
Don't worry about ex0 carbooter,he is just a nasty knob of a person who,for some reason,thinks he is better than anybody else.Just don't bother replying to him,as I won't when he spews his bile in reply to this post.You were trying to be helpful which is commendable.Well done you!
Posted By: woodley Re: beware this email scam - 7th Mar 2012 12:13pm
Originally Posted by ludwigvan
exO

Don't worry about ex0 carbooter,he is just a nasty knob of a person who,for some reason,thinks he is better than anybody else.Just don't bother replying to him,as I won't when he spews his bile in reply to this post.You were trying to be helpful which is commendable.Well done you!

Totally agree here - also with Bandy and Snod. That exO is just too arrogant and rude for words. Keep doing what you're doing carbooter, you're a far better person than exO is.
Posted By: chriskay Re: beware this email scam - 7th Mar 2012 1:54pm
ex0__ why can't you be more like your avatar?
Posted By: Nelzy84 Re: beware this email scam - 7th Mar 2012 3:49pm
Lol - Boosh
Posted By: Gold_Moon Re: beware this email scam - 8th Mar 2012 1:32am
it seems there is no place for common sense in the modern world.

I didn't say anything about common sense. Personally, I can always find a place for it! But the more information there is about scams, the more commonplace common sense will be! wink

I pass no blame onto those who are vulnerable and fall victim to these scams.

But yet you wrote the following;

It all boils down to greed and stupidity with all these types of scams. Serves them right.

And ex0 wrote;

Hence my "condone and even endorse," comment. Although I DID notice you later wrote;

and let's not forget, it is a crime, and anyone doing it, should be punished to the full extent of the law

And I fully agree with that. happy

It appears you are bringing in irrelevant nonsense to suit your own agenda. Instead of trying to doctor the discussion, can you please read the previous posts properly first, instead of scanning over them and posting quick-fire reaction that makes no sense.

It's neither irrelevent, nor nonsense. I have no "agenda"(?). I'm not trying to "doctor" anything(?). I did read all the posts properly and my posts make perfect sense.

Bottom line is; I don't like the idea that it's OK to kick people under the bus just because they're gullible. Some victims don't even REPORT the crime to the police because of how they're viewed for falling for it!

So let's not make it easier for the scumbags to get away with it, eh? Let's show some compassion, and save our contempt and criticism for the CRIMINALS!
Posted By: Alonso Re: beware this email scam - 28th Apr 2012 12:20am
I received an email last weekend purportedly from PAYPAL telling me that my details needed updating in order for my account to continue. I knew it was a phishing exercise because they hadn't addressed it to me personally. I immediately sent it to [email protected]> who within minutes confirmed that my suspicions were correct. So if you get anything like this, send it to that email address. They reckon it helps them to close these sites down.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral