Forums
Posted By: tankrat22 A Word of Warning. - 24th Nov 2011 6:43am
I was divorced in 2003,I retained the services of a well known family law partnership,based in Hamilton square.Ireceived Legal Aid,however, i was also paying my solicitor.Received my decree absolute, and paid my solicitor my final debt, which was £350.00.Two weeks ago Ireceived a letter from "The Legal Services Commission",stating after a recent change in the Law, I owe them £4.275.00.,the original debt being £2.100.00,the remainder being interest charged @60p per day. I havent ever received any correspondence from them or my solicitor since i received my decree absolute. I have written to LSC and my solicitor, referring them to "Statute Barred".
Posted By: tankrat22 Re: A Word of Warning. - 24th Nov 2011 6:48am
Which means if you have not been contacted about a debt within six years, there is legislation in place to prevent debtors harrassing you for said debt. I'll let you know what happens next.
Posted By: Sallybear Re: A Word of Warning. - 24th Nov 2011 7:13am
It isn't just about being contacted, it is to do more with making any acknowledgement or payment of the debt. Debt collectors will often say you have made a nominal payment of say...£5 within the 6 years just to get around the law, and they will generate paperwork to prove it, including copies of supposed postal orders sent within that time which were never sent.

I get a letter every month from a different company for a very small debt from when I was pregnant. My daughter it now 13 1/2 and the debt doesn't even show on my credit check any more. Despite a letter to them, they have apparent evidence of me paying £5 each year.

Hmmmmmm

Hope you get it all sorted tankrat
Posted By: Angharad111 Re: A Word of Warning. - 24th Nov 2011 7:36am
I too had this problem and my divorce cost me two and half grand. My x's contribution!!! was 75 quid. It wasn't my fault that he was a control freak and abuzer. My friends said if I stayed with him I would not be alive now. So beware out there see what you are singing up for. I know all you want is freedom. At least I am free and struggling to make ends meet but I is alive. And two and a half grand was not really down the drain. Sometimes you have to put things into prospective
Posted By: Mark Re: A Word of Warning. - 24th Nov 2011 11:06am
Originally Posted by Sallybear
It isn't just about being contacted, it is to do more with making any acknowledgement or payment of the debt. Debt collectors will often say you have made a nominal payment of say...£5 within the 6 years just to get around the law, and they will generate paperwork to prove it, including copies of supposed postal orders sent within that time which were never sent.

I get a letter every month from a different company for a very small debt from when I was pregnant. My daughter it now 13 1/2 and the debt doesn't even show on my credit check any more. Despite a letter to them, they have apparent evidence of me paying £5 each year.

Hmmmmmm

Hope you get it all sorted tankrat

Exactly Sally
Have a look at my post https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums..._Help_with_Debt_Problems.html#Post213704

But check out the Letters in those links how crafty they want to be. I will say after i sent out the Template letter i never heard from them any more.

Main point is : If you don't believe its your debt say so, and agree to nothing on the phone or otherwise.

Hope that help as it is a shock to the system, but from what you have posted don't worry you are in the clear smile
Posted By: ex0__ Re: A Word of Warning. - 24th Nov 2011 11:17am
So why don't you stop accepting the letters and just rts them and stick em back in the post box?
Posted By: markmagoo Re: A Word of Warning. - 24th Nov 2011 11:30am
If it's the very same family law solicitor we know only to well about your problems with them as we are trying to pursue having filled all the forms for legal aid and the back ground of the problem over two & a half months ago and every time we contacted them was told they would be in touch.We phoned first thing last monday morning only to be told our solicitor had left!!!! And we are still waiting for them to phone. !I feel so sorry for tankrat 22 and hope you get it sorted and as for our case fph can \/ off lol
Posted By: tankrat22 Re: A Word of Warning. - 24th Nov 2011 6:59pm
Thanks for the positive comments.
Posted By: FiremanFil Re: A Word of Warning. - 25th Nov 2011 1:34am
I have recently discovered that my ex who I divorced eons ago has been living with another bloke for 8 years while still claiming maintenance off me. I think she uses it to pay for her twice-yearly trips to Australia to see his kids who emigrated there. I am wondering if I can get back pay as she was not entitled to money from me if she was cohabiting with him. I haven't spoken to her for over ten years anyway. (I don't like to interrupt her!!) Any comments from the team please?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: A Word of Warning. - 25th Nov 2011 1:52am
Cohabiting doesn't automatically reduce the right to maintenance, unlike re-marriage. But you can get a court to re-assess the maintenance.

SOURCE

Speak to citizens advice possibly.
Posted By: FiremanFil Re: A Word of Warning. - 25th Nov 2011 1:58am
OK. Willdo. Thanks a bunch!! (The cheek of some people!!)
© Wirral-Wikiwirral