Forums
Posted By: Clive Is this ebay scam - 22nd Nov 2011 5:50pm
I just put item on ebay, and within 15 seconds it sold, i received this message straight away.

HI SELLER,I WILL LIKE YOU TO REPLY ME ABOUT THE CONDITION OF THIS ITEM BEFORE YOU SEND INVOICE BECAUSE I WANT TO BE VERY SURE BEFORE I MAKE PAYMENT THROUGH PAYPAL.REPLY ME THE MESSAGE AND ALSO SEND A PICTURE OF THE ITEM IF YOU HAVE IT TO MY EMAIL ADDRESS:*************@YAHOO.CO.UK REGARDS CAROLINE.

I have removed email address.
I have sent email with pic of item, and sent invoice, but got no replie.

I did not send email from my normal email account.

Posted By: lau2908 Re: Is this ebay scam - 22nd Nov 2011 5:53pm
sounds dodgy indeed
Posted By: Clive Re: Is this ebay scam - 22nd Nov 2011 6:01pm
thats what am thinking, so i sent request to cancel transaction.
Posted By: Edz2011 Re: Is this ebay scam - 22nd Nov 2011 6:13pm
It sounds dodgy and thy could be using someone else's paypal. I would just ignore it and leave it bidding
Posted By: Necronuss Re: Is this ebay scam - 22nd Nov 2011 6:16pm
have you googled their email addy

the way it is typed screams scam
Posted By: DJ_Karl_David Re: Is this ebay scam - 22nd Nov 2011 6:21pm
if its the iphone 4 then its deffo a scam mate. the nigerians love to try and scam you on ebay. Phones being the prime target
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Is this ebay scam - 22nd Nov 2011 6:29pm
I'm sorry but there's nothing about this that points to a scam.

Perhaps the follow up emails might, but shit, I've sent similar emails like this in the past when the seller didn't know how to describe something correctly (or to my satisfaction).

Not sure why you wouldn't use your normal email address either .. o.O
Posted By: Necronuss Re: Is this ebay scam - 22nd Nov 2011 6:32pm
Originally Posted by ex0__
.. o.O

You have to be joking right!
Posted By: Clive Re: Is this ebay scam - 22nd Nov 2011 6:33pm
Originally Posted by Edz2011
It sounds dodgy and thy could be using someone else's paypal. I would just ignore it and leave it bidding
i carnt leave it bidding they clicked on buy it now for £150
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Is this ebay scam - 22nd Nov 2011 6:34pm
Nope, remove the caps (which points to someone that doesn't know internet etiquette) and it's not that bad an email.

My lack of extreme paranoia doesn't mean I'm joking )
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Is this ebay scam - 22nd Nov 2011 6:35pm
Well reply and see what happens from there. Could be it is a scam but cancelling the auction because of one full caps email? That's completely ott.
Posted By: Clive Re: Is this ebay scam - 22nd Nov 2011 6:36pm

Perhaps the follow up emails might, but shit, I've sent similar emails like this in the past when the seller didn't know how to describe something correctly (or to my satisfaction).

Not sure why you wouldn't use your normal email address either .. o.O
why i didnt use my normal email,,,,, because thats the on thats linked to my paypal, and i dont know if the scammers can access paypal accounts, so to be on safe side, i did not want to take a chance, i will not let my self be scammed
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Is this ebay scam - 22nd Nov 2011 6:38pm
Rolls eyes, there's a million better ways to rip paypal emails. If it's a scam it'll come in a later email, won't be anything to do with your paypal account. Don't often see (or hear) about paypal hacking.

But fair enough, I guess you can't really fault someone being safe. Just struck me as odd.
Posted By: TheDr Re: Is this ebay scam - 22nd Nov 2011 6:38pm
The auction ended because of them using the Buy it Now, this does scream scam though, just see how their emails progress, when they come up with the having to use a friends account or the can you send it to my friend as the mail here isn't safe etc etc you'll know.
Posted By: gypsyjune Re: Is this ebay scam - 22nd Nov 2011 6:45pm
Originally Posted by Willo
I just put item on ebay, and within 15 seconds it sold, i received this message straight away.

HI SELLER,I WILL LIKE YOU TO REPLY ME ABOUT THE CONDITION OF THIS ITEM BEFORE YOU SEND INVOICE BECAUSE I WANT TO BE VERY SURE BEFORE I MAKE PAYMENT THROUGH PAYPAL.REPLY ME THE MESSAGE AND ALSO SEND A PICTURE OF THE ITEM IF YOU HAVE IT TO MY EMAIL ADDRESS:*************@YAHOO.CO.UK REGARDS CAROLINE.

I have removed email address.
I have sent email with pic of item, and sent invoice, but got no replie.

I did not send email from my normal email account.

Hi Willo i think it`s sad that you can`t do some thing as simple as to put an advert on ebay without some one spotting room for a scam ,it`s really bad ,good job you were on the ball .I makes you wonder how many people get caught out ,it must be worth their while
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Is this ebay scam - 22nd Nov 2011 6:46pm
Check http://profiles.yahoo.com/usernamegoeshere and see if the there's details of the account smile Then run the account through pipl and see if you get more info that way. If the name turns out to be different from the one that shows up on various profiles it might just be a hijacked account.
Posted By: Clive Re: Is this ebay scam - 22nd Nov 2011 6:50pm
i relisted item, and it sold within 5 mins, and now i get this email,

i want to pay for the item so that you ship tomorrow please you can contact me for payment via my email address (*********[email protected] )

thanks for that exo, this persons user name was set up today
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Is this ebay scam - 22nd Nov 2011 6:57pm
Good stuffs.
Posted By: TheComputerLab Re: Is this ebay scam - 22nd Nov 2011 7:15pm
Maybe you where selling to cheap? To sell so quick would indicate a price mismatch?!?
Posted By: Clive Re: Is this ebay scam - 22nd Nov 2011 7:21pm
Originally Posted by TheComputerLab
Maybe you where selling to cheap? To sell so quick would indicate a price mismatch?!?
am just chatting on live chat with ebay now
Posted By: Clive Re: Is this ebay scam - 22nd Nov 2011 7:41pm
i have to wait untill 26th to open a case of unpaid, and i carnt relist item, as i have a limit of £300 per month and its at £300 due to these 2 idiots
Posted By: AR_One Re: Is this ebay scam - 22nd Nov 2011 8:25pm
Something that everyone seemed to of missed is that you don't click buy it now and then start asking questions about the item. When you buy it now you are agreeing to buy the item not enter negotiations.

Don't know about a scam but sounds like a pair of tools!
Posted By: jemarc Re: Is this ebay scam - 22nd Nov 2011 8:33pm
had this happen to me last year whilst selling a blackberry check out the buyers id to see when they joined, if its today then its a scam, it happend to me so i got in touch with ebay and they cancelled the transaction and blocked the person on ebay. they didnt have any feedback or previous selling/buying history. hope this helps. x
Posted By: micsey Re: Is this ebay scam - 22nd Nov 2011 8:43pm
10000% scam,can tell by the broken english,put the id on blocked bidders list now
Posted By: Clive Re: Is this ebay scam - 22nd Nov 2011 8:57pm
both joined today, and both set up there email addresses today, ebay are no good, they wont help, i was on phone to them and kept getting cut off, ebay will not take any action.
some how the emails i received from so called buyers, did not go through ebay message folder, so i dont know how they contacted me.
the best thing was i got email asking me to pay the £150, and send item and money to address in surrey, yea right and i would do that
Posted By: jemarc Re: Is this ebay scam - 22nd Nov 2011 9:04pm
when you relist the item im sure you can select somewhere only bidders that have a buying history and good feedback can bid for the item. its annoying i know i had about 3 different people do this to me for a blackberry earlier in the year.x
Posted By: micsey Re: Is this ebay scam - 22nd Nov 2011 9:05pm
change your paypal password,i get these all the time as i sell on ebay
Posted By: Clive Re: Is this ebay scam - 22nd Nov 2011 9:07pm
yes you can, but i never thought on, doh smack

I carnt relist now, as £350 limit a month is maxed out.

Posted By: Clive Re: Is this ebay scam - 22nd Nov 2011 9:07pm
Originally Posted by micsey
change your paypal password,i get these all the time as i sell on ebay
changed it and changed my email address on paypal as well.
Posted By: goodoldphil Re: Is this ebay scam - 23rd Nov 2011 12:27am
Maybe I should.nt poke my nose in , but here goes. Put item on ebay, sell in 15 seconds = perfect result! Maybe there is a case to say you haven't asked enough for the item or should have had a higher BIN price.Why is there a panic about a scam because you got an email.You can easily check their feedback. When the item is sold ebay will send you the address of the buyer and you can check it up on Google maps and even go to street view and look at the house they live in. I've sold quite a few items on ebay and not been scammed yet. If they have asked you to post it abroad that may be dodgy but otherwise I can't see the reason for the panic. Do you ever think maybe you should have kept your opinions to yourself - I just couldn't help it. It would be interesting to see how this works out.
Posted By: Clive Re: Is this ebay scam - 23rd Nov 2011 6:56am
Originally Posted by goodoldphil
Maybe I should.nt poke my nose in , but here goes. Put item on ebay, sell in 15 seconds = perfect result! Maybe there is a case to say you haven't asked enough for the item or should have had a higher BIN price.Why is there a panic about a scam because you got an email.You can easily check their feedback. When the item is sold ebay will send you the address of the buyer and you can check it up on Google maps and even go to street view and look at the house they live in. I've sold quite a few items on ebay and not been scammed yet. If they have asked you to post it abroad that may be dodgy but otherwise I can't see the reason for the panic. Do you ever think maybe you should have kept your opinions to yourself - I just couldn't help it. It would be interesting to see how this works out.
You say you shouldnt poke your nose in, and maybe i should keep my opinions to my self, well maybe you should Practice What You Preach, its not my opinion of it being a scam, it bloody was, they sent me an invoice asking me to pay them and send the item to them after i pay them, and non of emails were sent through ebay.
Posted By: Silverback Re: Is this ebay scam - 23rd Nov 2011 8:38am
..... well maybe you should Practice What You Preach, .....

Don't think it was you he was getting at with that comment, it looked more like a badly worded dig at himself.
Posted By: Clive Re: Is this ebay scam - 23rd Nov 2011 8:48am
Originally Posted by Silverback
..... well maybe you should Practice What You Preach, .....

Don't think it was you he was getting at with that comment, it looked more like a badly worded dig at himself.
I think you may be right, now i have read it agian, i see that, My apologies to goodoldphil. I should of read your replie properly, instead of jumping the gun. sorry
Posted By: MikeT Re: Is this ebay scam - 23rd Nov 2011 10:17am
Originally Posted by Necronuss
.. o.O

You have to be joking right!

withthat withthat withthat withthat
© Wirral-Wikiwirral