Forums
Posted By: zippy49 sickness & work - 9th Oct 2011 4:19pm
Hubby went into hospital tuesday night ,he informed work friday someone from work sent him a text to say he may be getting , his wages stopped just want a bit of advise. thanks
Posted By: Salmon Re: sickness & work - 9th Oct 2011 5:30pm
Some good info here
http://www.totaljobs.com/careers-advice/money-and-legal/sick-pay
Posted By: Bench Re: sickness & work - 9th Oct 2011 5:50pm
Originally Posted by son51
Hubby went into hospital tuesday night ,he informed work friday someone from work sent him a text to say he may be getting , his wages stopped just want a bit of advise. thanks

It may be a requirement for him to let his boss know he is unable to work within a certain time scale. If you state he was admitted to hospital on Tuesday night, and didn't inform work the following Friday, then that's realistically from the company's standpoint 2 days of unauthorised absence before they were aware of his reason of absence.

Most companies need to know the whereabouts of their staff, and require any absence due to sickness/illness to be reported to management on the same day, ASAP, preferably no longer than an hour or two before his next shift was due to start.

Unauthorised absence is a major issue with many companies, and in most cases, grounds for a disciplinary. However, I certainly think they do not have grounds to stop pay right away.
Posted By: zippy49 Re: sickness & work - 9th Oct 2011 7:34pm
Hubby spoke to manager on tuesday night while waiting to go to ward.On friday he was informed by another member of staff his w ages may be getting stopped,sorry i didn t explain very well BENCH
Posted By: zippy49 Re: sickness & work - 9th Oct 2011 7:38pm
Thanks SALMON
Posted By: Wench Re: sickness & work - 9th Oct 2011 9:44pm
Not all companies pay sick pay - I know my last firm didn't. He needs to check his contract. If push comes to shove and he's off for a while, he should apply for benefits. He's not guaranteed to get any but if you don't ask, you don't get wink
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: sickness & work - 9th Oct 2011 9:54pm
If your employer doesn't have a sick pay scheme, you are usually entitled to statutory sick pay (SSP).
Posted By: julie253 Re: sickness & work - 10th Oct 2011 3:34pm
I think for SSP you don't get anything for the first 3 days and maybe that's why they are saying he is not entitled to any wages, anything he does get will be minimal, if he is paid very little then he should get a tax refund, but that would obviously depend on his tax code. Hope that helps.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral