Forums
Posted By: derekdwc buying secondhand goods query - 29th Jul 2011 3:15pm
Nothing to do with what's on wiki,
Times are getting hard and folks are selling to get a few bob
say I've have been offered a pushbike (for one of my sons)
from someone say in a pub what could I do to cover myself just in case it was a stolen one (it happens).
I would not like them to be pulled up by the police and be found to be riding a stolen one.
Are there any suggestions as to safeguard this happening before buying.
Would it help to have the name and address of seller on a bill of sale
Posted By: Clive Re: buying secondhand goods query - 29th Jul 2011 3:24pm
Even if you got name and address of seller on bill of sale, if bike is stolen and police take it, if the seller does not give you a refund, then you will need to take him to county court, which will cost you.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: buying secondhand goods query - 29th Jul 2011 3:30pm
not worried about the getting money back side of it.
Just don't like the idea of buying stolen goods and the hassle it could bring from the police
Suppose I could ask if they have a receipt from when they bought it (although I rarely keep receipts myself)
Posted By: Clive Re: buying secondhand goods query - 29th Jul 2011 3:34pm
If they have receipt ask for a copy or see if they will give you the original.
Posted By: phk68bay Re: buying secondhand goods query - 29th Jul 2011 7:24pm
Nothing realy if you are buying from a guy in the pub, you take your chances. You never know he may be genuine, so ask lots of questions as well, and I mean LOTS. who did it originally belong to? how long have you had it? where did you get it? how much was it new? why are you selling it? if he's telling the truth he will answer quickly without hesitation, only people who lie have to think about what they say. Repeat some of the questions, see if he sticks to the same story.
Posted By: paxvobiscum Re: buying secondhand goods query - 29th Jul 2011 8:57pm
I have a golden rule never to buy off people selling items in pubs.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: buying secondhand goods query - 29th Jul 2011 10:14pm
Degs, from what I remember, if it's stolen then you will have it taken away and you will not get anything. As it was not legally yours (or your son's) then for all intense and purposes you never owned it so no recompense, I'm afraid. If you get a receipt and if it's genuine then you will help the police with their enquiries and possibly have the satisfaction of putting a toe rag behind bars, you will still be out of pocket one bike! You may get a reward from Crimestoppers to offset this though.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral